Merrimack Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's fine, and inarguable. I will tell you though, it isn't just people my age that get tired of it. There is no arguing his greatness, but for the love of God, there's multiple ways to skin a cat. 

I just don't see any need for comments like "back when Knight was here" or "the way Knight did things". Idk just not for me. 

My memory of BK is us getting absolutely boat raced by Pepperdine. 

Meh

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Coach Knight is the biggest part of IU basketball history and the main reason the Hoosiers are considered a Blue Blood, so you might as well get used to it because you are always going to hear it. As for people your age getting sick of it that is sad since it is still talking about the Hoosiers. Maybe if there was something to talk about recently you wouldn't hear as much Coach Knight talk.

Maybe so, good point.

But, I'm not wrong that you can be a successful coach, even at the D1 basketball level, and not do things BKs way. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

But, I'm not wrong that you can be a successful coach, even at the D1 basketball level, and not do things BKs way. 

Well yeah in every sport there is more then one way of doing things. But the thing is the Hoosiers have tried doing it different and failed everytime, the only real recent success they have had is the Coach Knight way.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe so, good point.

I feel there is a basic blueprint to be a successful coach. 1) You acquire as much talent as you can. 2) You then get that talent to perform extremely well.  

• Like 5

On 12/9/2021 at 9:42 PM, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah you guys definitely do wilt against them, your team did again tonight.

No way Rutgers fears any Purdue player that’s not Ivey or a center 

Rutgers beat the #1 team with one scorer and no highly ranked recruits. 

PS. Loss is my fault for playing Pub trivia instead of watching at home….”it’s Rutgers…they lost to Lafayette…we got this”

got this shoved 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 6:06 AM, Billingsley99 said:

There will be nothing civil about the beat down the Hoosiers will bestow upon Merrimack.  I will be glued to my Monitor as I watch IU bomb 3's like cannonballs falling into the sea. This will be an iron Clad victory for the Hoosiers

Nice…ship became the CSS Virginia which was scuttled at James Madison 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Well yeah in every sport there is more then one way of doing things. But the thing is the Hoosiers have tried doing it different and failed everytime, the only real success they have had is the Coach Knight way.

Branch McCracken won 40% of IU's national championships in basketball. We never hear about Branch's way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Branch McCracken won 40% of IU's national championships in basketball. We never hear about Branch's way.

That was so long along most people aren't even alive from then, or was kids when that happened.  People talk about Knight because they actually watched his teams play.

I would be shocked if there is even one person on this forum that watched one of McCracken's championship teams.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

That was so long along most people aren't even alive from then, or was kids when that happened. So what is your point? People talk about Knight because they actually watched his teams play.

I would be shocked if there is even one person on this forum that watched one of McCracken's championship teams.

So are you saying anything that happened before you were born is not important or didn't happen

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So are you saying anything that happened before you were born is not important or didn't happen

Yes yes that is exactly what i am saying. 🤪 🤦‍♂️

I responded to someone that said we never hear about the Branch McCracken way with,  no one on here or problably many people still alive even watched his teams. That is why we only hear about the Knight Way.

Next time maybe understand what you are reading before you respond ok. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yes yes that is exactly what i am saying. 🤪

Man don't ask such a stupid question. I responded to someone that said we never hear about the Branch McCracken way with, that is because no one on here or problably many people still alive even watched his teams. That is why we hear only the Knight Way.

Next time maybe understand what you are reading before you respond ok. 👍

You made sound like I'd non of us didn't see it, then those wasn't as important.  I have always respected the history of sports and always researched what happened before I was born.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You made sound like I'd non of us didn't see it, then those wasn't as important.  I have always respected the history of sports and always researched what happened before I was born.

I don't know where you got that, i literally said the reason we don't hear about it is because nobody on here or even alive has probably even watched his teams play that is why we only hear about Knight. 🤦‍♂️

Nothing about it not being important.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I don't know where you got that, i literally said the reason we don't hear about it is because nobody on here or even alive has probably even watched his teams play that is why we only hear about Knight. 🤦‍♂️

Word to the wise - don't argue with Scott.  It's like talking to a wall.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Just  saying I know about those teams even though I never saw those teams.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just  saying I know about those teams even though I never saw those teams.

1940 I had always heard Purdue turned down the bid as big ten champs (NIT was bigger?). Just read on Wikipedia that IU was offered over Purdue as being the best representative of the Midwest 

Trivia Question:  smallest school ever to make sweet 16 was in 1953…453 students 

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who do you want to start at PG? 

Yeah, we don’t really have a better option right now. Just hope XJ reigns in the poor decisions a little bit / learns when it’s a good idea to push it, good idea to pull up to shoot, and when it’s not. We can’t have a PG who can’t make FTs and plays out of control. 

• Like 1