Jump to content

10 years ago today…


KDB
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ll never forget that moment. Being 38 I wasn’t around to see the great teams of the 70’s and 80’s. The Wat shot, 02 tournament run, and the early 90’s team are the only great memories I have. When that shot went in my first thought was IU is back. But we know how the next 9 years played out. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There are 4 iconic sports plays that will always make me smile and feel joy when I see them, and this is one of them. 

What are the other 3?

I would have to think hard to remember ones that most people know. 

But here is one you probably haven't seen that means alot to my home town. Cody's older brother Luke. I played with him for a year but knew his family.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

What are the other 3?

I would have to think hard to remember ones that most people know. 

But here is one you probably haven't seen that means alot to my home town. Cody's older brother Luke. I played with him for a year but knew his family.  

 

 

I actually remember that play, it was an incredible shot. That was my first real introduction to the Zellers. 

The other three for me are:

  • Kick 6 (2013 Iron Bowl). My dad is from Alabama, he's one of five siblings and they're split between Auburn and Bama. My grandfather was an architect who went to Auburn and designed parts of the football stadium. Auburn, football in particular, is a connection to my dad and his family. That game tops them all (in terms of Auburn) and I was at the 2010 National Championship Game.
  • 2004 World Series - honestly many games from that run, but the ground out back to Foulk I still remember going from sitting on the floor flat on my ass to ~30-35 inches in the air (I was 15 and had pretty good hops) in less than a second. That was the first time I was alive for "my team" winning a title.
  • The Reggie Miller buzzer beater against the Bulls in '97. This is probably my earliest, vivid sports memory. 

Those four plays will always be really special to me. Would love to see this thread, as much as it's a celebration of the Way Shot, turn into others talking about plays that are special to them. Who doesn't love seeing great plays?

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

 

I actually remember that play, it was an incredible shot. That was my first real introduction to the Zellers. 

The other three for me are:

  • Kick 6 (2013 Iron Bowl). My dad is from Alabama, he's one of five siblings and they're split between Auburn and Bama. My grandfather was an architect who went to Auburn and designed parts of the football stadium. Auburn, football in particular, is a connection to my dad and his family. That game tops them all (in terms of Auburn) and I was at the 2010 National Championship Game.
  • 2004 World Series - honestly many games from that run, but the ground out back to folk I still remember going from sitting on the floor flat out my ass to ~30-35 inches in the air (I was 15 and had pretty good hops) in less than a second. That was the first time I was alive for "my team" winning a title.
  • The Reggie Miller buzzer beater against the Bulls in '97. This is probably my earliest, vivid sports memory. 

Those four plays will always be really special to me. Would love to see this thread, as much as it's a celebration of the Way Shot, turn into others talking about plays that are special to them. Who doesn't love seeing great plays?

Good you got to see the zeller shot. 

I remember the 2013 iron bowl. And the 2006 rose bowl. 

Good list though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was taping the IU/UK game as I went to a High School game in Borden Indiana.  I had several friends in Borden who were UK fans, so I steered clear of them during the game.  Several were in a group watching the game on a phone.  Suddenly one of them threw his head back and yelled "Nooooo!", so I knew something good had happened for IU, buy I had no idea until I watched when I got home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have shared the story before. We had 8 of my players over my son hadiends over as did my daughter.  About 20 of us in our living room. The shot went in I jumped up a couple players tried to hug me and we went crashing into the TV. my 12 year old son and his buddies ripped their shirts off and ran through the neighborhood.  He and I were talking about it last night and he said has no idea why but it felt like the right thing to do. Great time

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm old enough to remember IU's last 3 championships.  As crazy as it sounds, the WatShot will always be more memorable to me than Smart's shot to win the '87 Championship.  The reason is that, in '87, IU was still consistently at the top of the college basketball world.  The moment was incredibly exciting and brought the ultimate prize.  But, it was almost expected because we were IU, and, even if had not gone in, there was always next year.  Don't get me wrong, I went absolutely crazy when Smart's shot went in, and wouldn't trade the championship for anything.   But, for pure, unexpected joy, the WatShot tops it,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I gotta be honest, and to be clear this isn't a commentary on Mike Woodson nor a clamor to have Crean back, but when I see clips or old games from '11-'13 and the '15-'16 teams, I sometimes think Crean wasn't so bad. 

Those teams were so fun to watch and IMO are right up there with all the other fun, talented teams IU has had that didn't quite win titles. 

I miss those teams. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I gotta be honest, and to be clear this isn't a commentary on Mike Woodson nor a clamor to have Crean back, but when I see clips or old games from '11-'13 and the '15-'16 teams, I sometimes think Crean wasn't so bad. 

Those teams were so fun to watch and IMO are right up there with all the other fun, talented teams IU has had that didn't quite win titles. 

I miss those teams. 

Compared to Archie, Crean was a Hall of Famer.  Long term, though, I think Woodson will be better for the IU program than Crean.

 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Compared to Archie, Crean was a Hall of Famer.  Long term, though, I think Woodson will be better for the IU program than Crean.

 

I hope so. I was ready for Crean to go don't get me wrong, and I don't think he could have recovered from the 16-17 debacle and his recruiting drop-off at that point. 

With that said, I would do jumping jacks at this point for two Big Ten Titles and three Sweet Sixteen's in a 5 year period. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Seeing these stories makes you realize Rutgers fans will be doing the same thing….

With a few minor differences...

IU was playing a hated rival (in my eyes the MOST hated rival) attempting to regain our rightful place with the other blue blood programs at the expense of one...

Rutgers and Purdue? Meh...

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent that afternoon in….Lexington, getting my then 5-month old son’s first pictures with Santa. Stayed away from anything that looked like a TV, and didn’t even open my phone. 
 

Watched the game that night on the DVR after my wife and son went to bed, with both of our dogs (RIP) laying next to me. When the shot went in, I jumped off the couch and mid-jump, remembered everyone was asleep, so I managed to keep it silent. I’ll never forget the looks on the dogs’ faces watching me silently jumping around like an idiot. It was “Yep, he’s actually cracked this time”. 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I spent that afternoon in….Lexington, getting my then 5-month old son’s first pictures with Santa. Stayed away from anything that looked like a TV, and didn’t even open my phone. 
 

Watched the game that night on the DVR after my wife and son went to bed, with both of our dogs (RIP) laying next to me. When the shot went in, I jumped off the couch and mid-jump, remembered everyone was asleep, so I managed to keep it silent. I’ll never forget the looks on the dogs’ faces watching me silently jumping around like an idiot. It was “Yep, he’s actually cracked this time”. 🤣

The crap we do for pets.... AND wives/ kids. Had you screamed, as we all did, it would have been a story for them to tell for their entire lives. We all to often pass polite, with good intentions and they other party misses out on a funny story (although they where pissed at the time of the story lol).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...