Merrimack Post Game

Inequality

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Yep and he’s not gonna put up with lander complaining on Twitter in his own way without words.

Is this what you're talking about?

I wasn't sure how to read that... 

We all know every player wants more playing time...Coach Woody coaches for the "now" which I like, but the portal has given "coaching for the future" added significance in the eyes of some...

That said, I hope Kristian sees what Coach Woody is doing... he'll be in position to play big minutes next year, and you can never rule out (God forbid) injury or foul trouble this year...

As Coach Woody said, "be ready to shine." 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We all know every player wants more playing time...Coach Woody coaches for the "now" which I like, but the portal has given "coaching for the future" added significance in the eyes of some...

That said, I hope Kristian sees what Coach Woody is doing... he'll be in position to play big minutes next year, and you can never rule out (God forbid) injury or foul trouble this year...

Two big time coaches….still limited playing time. I’m not sure what that post means, but…..wild guess: perhaps the lack of time is do to a lack of ability/development in a certain area(s). Keep grinding KL. 

Edited by tdhoosier

40 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Two big time coaches….still limited playing time. I’m not sure what that post means, but…..wild guess: perhaps the lack of time is do to a lack of ability/development in a certain area(s). Keep grinding KL. 

I've always taken that yoga pose as "at peace."

But according to my wife, reading signs is not my strong suit 😉

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what people are trying to read into a cartoon character meditating 🤣🤣🤣  If that's a display of dissatisfaction, it's one of the best camouflaged ones I've ever come across.

Curiosity led me to find that's called "The Lotus Pose."

According to lore...

"Overall , it helps change the metabolic structure and brain patterns to create balance and harmony throughout the body."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

KL needs to come home and play for the Aces. If it's playing time he wants, he will get all he needs, guaranteed. Plus he will be more appreciated.

No...he needs to work hard, refine his game, pay attention to detail, and clean up his play....and he will get all the time he wants at IU. Love all our players but he is not ready to contribute...and I'm not sure he would start for UofE with how he is playing right now. The point guard they have has played ok from what I've seen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yes and with his mom making comments in the past I don’t think it’s a good post IMO

I would be surprised if Woodson isn't personally (not just his staff) communicating with Lander about what's expected and how he can get on the floor.  

Coaches who don't care are the ones who don't communicate properly.  Then the player is confused and gets disgruntled.

Lander has physical ability, although he does need to get stronger. If I were him, I'd pull Fife's shirt and ask him to work with him in extra time for advice on defensive positioning.  Fife is a guy who was as good as it gets in that regard.  

Woodson comes across as a great communicator, and I would be truly shocked if hasn't made clear to Lander what is going on.  At the end of the day, Lander can't blame anyone else.  It's giddy up time on getting better.  If he keeps his wits about him, he can see that he is a freshman and there is time to get better.   Everybody here doesn't get equal playing time, orange slices and a hug after the game.  The real world is calling.  

Lander has potential and can still have a great career at IU.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not everything this kid post on twitter has to do with basketball.  Could be about a girl, classes, relationships with a friend or family member or just inside joke that mean absolutely nothing to anyone but the other person who sees this.  Jesus Christ people it's a F*cking Spongbob cartoon image.  The kids is 19.

I get where you’re coming from but when it gets brought up In the press conference, the comment is after a game, and again his mom has made comments in the past I personally see it otherwise. Yes if it was not directly after the game you’d be completely right and still could be right but sorry for having an opinion on a board and that it annoyed you so much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I get where you’re coming from but when it gets brought up In the press conference, the comment is after a game, and again his mom has made comments in the past I personally see it otherwise. Yes if it was not directly after the game you’d be completely right and still could be right but sorry for having an opinion on a board and that it annoyed you so much.

If that's Khristian's way of complaining publicly, I'm completely OK with it.  Maybe he IS frustrated and venting, but if you want to see inappropriate bitching about not playing enough, there are plenty of examples in the past of kids being a lot more direct than a meditating Patrick Star.😂  He's still a teenager...I'm OK with a little public expression that's not directly attacking teammates, coaches or the program in general.  If he's genuinely pissed, hopefully that motivates him to get better.

I'm more concerned about his mother publicly and more directly venting about it on social media.  It was probably a heat of the moment reaction to her frustration but I hate to see parents get involved publicly like that.  If nothing else, it puts the student athlete in a bad spot.  Hopefully, that was just a moment in time that everyone learned from.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If that's Khristian's way of complaining publicly, I'm completely OK with it.  Maybe he IS frustrated and venting, but if you want to see inappropriate bitching about not playing enough, there are plenty of examples in the past of kids being a lot more direct than a meditating Patrick Star.😂  He's still a teenager...I'm OK with a little public expression that's not directly attacking teammates, coaches or the program in general.  If he's genuinely pissed, hopefully that motivates him to get better.

I'm more concerned about his mother publicly and more directly venting about it on social media.  It was probably a heat of the moment reaction to her frustration but I hate to see parents get involved publicly like that.  If nothing else, it puts the student athlete in a bad spot.  Hopefully, that was just a moment in time that everyone learned from.  

I 1000% agree and you said it perfectly.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm more concerned about his mother publicly and more directly venting about it on social media.  It was probably a heat of the moment reaction to her frustration but I hate to see parents get involved publicly like that. 

Is this his Mom's Twitter page?

I didn't see anything out of line...but maybe Coach Woody had a conversation with her as well...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would be surprised if Woodson isn't personally (not just his staff) communicating with Lander about what's expected and how he can get on the floor.  

Coaches who don't care are the ones who don't communicate properly.  Then the player is confused and gets disgruntled.

Lander has physical ability, although he does need to get stronger. If I were him, I'd pull Fife's shirt and ask him to work with him in extra time for advice on defensive positioning.  Fife is a guy who was as good as it gets in that regard.  

Woodson comes across as a great communicator, and I would be truly shocked if hasn't made clear to Lander what is going on.  At the end of the day, Lander can't blame anyone else.  It's giddy up time on getting better.  If he keeps his wits about him, he can see that he is a freshman and there is time to get better.   Everybody here doesn't get equal playing time, orange slices and a hug after the game.  The real world is calling.  

Lander has potential and can still have a great career at IU.

Since Fife is part of the coaching staff is he allowed to work extra with the players? I thought the coaches were restricted to a certain number of hours per week in which to work with the players. I'd be surprised if those hours weren't already maxed out. Of course, I may be misunderstanding the restrictions or there might be loopholes, which is why I'm asking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

What would have been totally priceless is if Woody would have replied with this pic, saying, Keep studying the game and how you can improve and you will get there....

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Is this his Mom's Twitter page?

I didn't see anything out of line...but maybe Coach Woody had a conversation with her as well...

Those tweets seem to be pretty tame to me. Unless i am missing something, i don't do twitter, i don't see a whole lot of venting there.👍

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Those tweets seem to be pretty tame to me. Unless i am missing something, i don't do twitter, i don't see a whole lot of venting there.👍

It's been awhile, but my recollection was that she was a little unhappy about something...probably playing time.  Could have well been said in the heat of the moment and deleted.

• Like 2

If a kid is OK with not playing, then I'm not sure I want him here. If he is unhappy and not doing everything he can to get on the court, then that's a different matter. I'm not connected in any way to the program so I don't know what practice is like. I believe that with CMW those who earn playing time will get playing time. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and a fresh start is better for everyone. I really hope Lander continues to work and grows into the guy who can run our ream.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

No...he needs to work hard, refine his game, pay attention to detail, and clean up his play....and he will get all the time he wants at IU. Love all our players but he is not ready to contribute...and I'm not sure he would start for UofE with how he is playing right now. The point guard they have has played ok from what I've seen.

I would normally agree with what you are saying, except it has to be concerning when IU is recruiting other kids for the same position. And I am sure the Aces would find a way to fit him in.

8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I would normally agree with what you are saying, except it has to be concerning when IU is recruiting other kids for the same position. And I am sure the Aces would find a way to fit him in.

I think the only "true" PG we've got a commitment from is Cupps, and he's 2023...JHS and Gunn are both considered combo guards (although JHS looked very comfy running the point in the game I saw) for 2022...

Edited by IUFLA

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I've always taken that yoga pose as "at peace."

But according to my wife, reading signs is not my strong suit 😉

I once asked my wife where she wanted to eat dinner for our anniversary.  She said she didn't care.  I took that as a sign that I could choose....apparently I also don't read signs well.    :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, ba43056 said:

Not that he's playing terrible,but I expected more from Bates. It's not a complicated offense. 

I agree. He has been decent but based on some of the pre-season hype etc I kind of thought Bates would be a starter by the start of the meat of Big Ten season (ie after the holidays). That’s not going to happen but again, he is only a freshman and will definitely be a player.

• Like 1