Notre Dame Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, December 18th, 2:30 PM EST

Where: Gambridge Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana

TV: Fox

The Fighting Irish are 4-4 so far this season...Signature win so far vs the hated Kentucky Wildcats...

image.png.d41ac7814270860be6a9419310670699.png

image.png.0a10968ee946f661b14402cb032a3253.png

Per game for the rotation players...

image.png.0eaf46090b36a1d7c1eb44676cf048d4.png

Mike Brey's team has shooters in Dane Goodwin, former IU target freshman Blake Wesley, and big man Nate Laszewski all over 4 attempts and over 35% from 3 on the year. Pretty big team as well. Picked 8th in the ACC.

Highlights of their win vs Kentucky...always sweet to see the Cats get beaten...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Heading into this season I felt the Irish would surprise or at least be better than what the "media" thinks.  But up until UK it appeared the media had them pegged.  Then UK happened.  I think the 'Cats are a tournament team but I don't feel they are a Top 25-30 club.  There is even the possibility of UK being nothing more than a NIT squad.  With that being said I fully expect the Irish to compete with us and us pulling out a 7-10 pt. win.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Heading into this season I felt the Irish would surprise or at least be better than what the "media" thinks.  But up until UK it appeared the media had them pegged.  Then UK happened.  I think the 'Cats are a tournament team but I don't feel they are a Top 25-30 club.  There is even the possibility of UK being nothing more than a NIT squad.  With that being said I fully expect the Irish to compete with us and us pulling out a 7-10 pt. win.  

Wesley appears to be a Jaden Ivey clone with a better outside shot as a freshman (Ivey is up to 39% from 3 this year after shooting 28% as a freshman)...

We have trouble guarding that kind of player (see Johnny Davis)... probably be up to Parker Stewart again...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Didn’t realize there was such a long wait for the next game. I expect us to pull out a win in this one, but it won’t be by much. 

A lot of time to work on turnovers and rebounding I hope. That said it's probably finals week....so maybe not as much time to work as it might seem.

• Like 1

It will be easier for us to stay in front of them, which helps our defense immensely...That said, we will get torched by Blake Wesley if he is playing against our second group. Sooner or later we need to abandon the "second team" rotation and have three of our best players on the court all the time..We can't have both Race and Trayce off the court, we can't have both Parker and Kopp off the court (though I would argue that we shouldn't have them both on the court) We can't have both Xavier and Tamar off the court....

We need to maintain a balance that always has a post threat, at least one shooter, and a dribble drive threat all the time...We sometimes have a lineup on the floor that has none of those things on the court...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Wesley appears to be a Jaden Ivey clone with a better outside shot as a freshman (Ivey is up to 39% from 3 this year after shooting 28% as a freshman)...

We have trouble guarding that kind of player (see Johnny Davis)... probably be up to Parker Stewart again...

Great post.  I have been on this theme too.  In the big picture, for us to get where we really want, we will need long, skilled, rangy athletes at the wing who can handle, shoot, and defend.  Teams like Michigan have been destroying us on the wings.  

Bates is a heck of a start, but he is a freshman and we need more please. I like Galloway.  Banks and Gunn coming too.  We are getting there, hopefully as these guys mature and more come in.

• Like 3

Stewart and Kopp, two players I like.  But we aren't talking about Jordan and Pippen athletically.  

I would like to see Stewart come off screens more and let's get him some more looks.  I think Kopp was a bit wild earlier in the year but he has gotten his legs under him.  This is a guy who can make shots.  When we aren't getting buckets...I hope Woodson can play some psychology to get guys like these two to get us good shots.  I am afraid we tightened up down the stretch up north. It was unnecessary.  Calm down.  We have the ingredients to get buckets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great post.  I have been on this theme too.  In the big picture, for us to get where we really want, we will need long, skilled, rangy athletes at the wing who can handle, shoot, and defend.  Teams like Michigan have been destroying us on the wings.  

Bates is a heck of a start, but he is a freshman and we need more please. I like Galloway.  Banks and Gunn coming too.  We are getting there, hopefully as these guys mature and more come in.

Have you seen any of Hood-Shifino's games on ESPN? He's not rangy, but he's a tank...he's the one I'm excited about...

I watched the Montverde vs Oak Hill and JHS was phenomenal...in a game which was like a more organized McDonalds All American game, he let the game come to him, and was by far the best player on the floor...while every other player was trying to impress the bevy of college coaches and scouts there, he played team first and still led the game in scoring...and he's a great on the ball defender...I'm telling you, we got a good one there...

His team played on ESPN again on January 6th I think...set the DVR...

• Like 5

Just now, IUFLA said:

Have you seen any of Hood-Shifino's games on ESPN? He's not rangy, but he's a tank...he's the one I'm excited about...

I watched the Montverde vs Oak Hill and JHS was phenomenal...in a game which was like a more organized McDonalds All American game, he let the game come to him, and was by far the best player on the floor...while every other player was trying to impress the bevy of college coaches and scouts there, he played team first and still led the game in scoring...and he's a great on the ball defender...I'm telling you, we got a good one there...

His team played on ESPN again on January 6th I think...set the DVR...

Absolutely, love him.  Gave me a Jason Kidd vibe.  Not saying as good, just that "type."  Strong, can get in the lane, good vision.

• Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Absolutely, love him.  Gave me a Jason Kidd vibe.  Not saying as good, just that "type."  Strong, can get in the lane, good vision.

I was thinking Quinn Buckner with a shot 😁 But Kidd is a good comparison too...

He exuded confidence and leadership, and you could tell his teammates knew he was their leader...

I remember Scott May saying about Buckner, "he might not score the whole game, but at the end, he was going to do something to help win the game."

That's the feeling I get about JHS...But he can score too...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I was thinking Quinn Buckner with a shot 😁 But Kidd is a good comparison too...

He exuded confidence and leadership, and you could tell his teammates knew he was their leader...

I remember Scott May saying about Buckner, "he might not score the whole game, but at the end, he was going to do something to help win the game."

That's the feeling I get about JHS...But he can score too...

I'd be shocked if there are more than 12-15 players better than him in his class, just based on his skill set.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

It will be easier for us to stay in front of them, which helps our defense immensely...That said, we will get torched by Blake Wesley if he is playing against our second group. Sooner or later we need to abandon the "second team" rotation and have three of our best players on the court all the time..We can't have both Race and Trayce off the court, we can't have both Parker and Kopp off the court (though I would argue that we shouldn't have them both on the court) We can't have both Xavier and Tamar off the court....

We need to maintain a balance that always has a post threat, at least one shooter, and a dribble drive threat all the time...We sometimes have a lineup on the floor that has none of those things on the court...

1000% agree. Woody still has the NBA mass rotation style in his head and that works great if you have 4 and 5 star kids who can help tremendously but in our case we aren’t there yet.

As odd as it sounds I believe the ND game is more important to the fans than the team right now and that doesn't mean the team is ok with losing.

The fans want to believe things have changed but too many see any loss as proof it's the same old same old. Anyone being honest has to say things are not the same. The result may feel the same but this team plays harder than what we have seen over the past several seasons. They just have to clean up their game and learn how to win bigger games and especially on the road.

Had this team beaten Syracuse and/or Wisconsin they would still have to fix the same issues we see today in order to compete for a B1G title. It would just make us all feel better about everything had they won. Years ago we would see this team for what it really is - one that is going to drop some games early but has what it takes to become hard to beat when March roles around. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2021 at 4:37 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

He is big ten ready physically 

looks like a pg…always in control…patient.  Nice pull up jumper 

finishes through contact 

3point shot looks good 

if X leaves wouldn’t be surprised if he pushes for starters minutes 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Remember when Sherron Wilkerson punched Harris Mujanovic in the face?  I do. 

Can you imagine how this board would have been watching this game? I turned it off after 10 mins. Talk about a bad IU team. Woodson would get fired today with that team. 19=12(12-6). Lost to UConn by 34.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Good news is the offseason should be shorter this season because we should make some sort of post-season tournament.  

This is kind of a pretty big game though. Lose this and we're 0-3 away from Assembly Hall and just 2-3 against Power 5's heading into the remainder of conference play. 

• Like 5