Notre Dame Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Gotcha. I guess I disagree then because two more losses and that's a guaranteed out of tournament team.  The stability and strength of the program is light years beyond where it would be if Archie Miller was still the coach today.  The roster, the structure, the results, and the future would all be significantly different. Significantly worse.  Maybe we are on the same page mote than I realize but this ship is sailing in a much better direction.

I don’t disagree we are sailing in a better direction. All I’m saying is what happened at Syracuse and at Wisconsin is reminiscent of what we’re used to. And until I see the changes in the W/L column, the perceived improvements don’t mean much. With wins today and at PSU, that thought will begin to change slightly. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

My son just texted me and it appears if you are going to the games tomorrow you might need to show proof of vaccination.

"Appears"  that you "might"........this is rather significant news at this late date if true.  Any way you can site your son's source for this info?

I see both sides for sure. Given the same players we are probably 8-2. However with Archie we wouldn’t have our 5 best players. So probably have 2 more losses. But it is disheartening we’ve had 2 losses like we have folding down the stretch with multiple chances to win. Resembles a lot of last few(5) years or so. 

I think the players feel the difference, and as fans we can see SO much more talent on this team. But the same results are tough to look past as well with the doubt some of us have creeping in due to past seasons. Every year is different. But the same mistakes are hard to take when you see no improvement. I see the improvement, and as someone said earlier I didn’t even get super worked up the last couple years and this year my dog is hiding under the bed again and my daughter looks at me like I need to be in the insane asylum during a game again. 

Just hoping for a good win today. Another knife in Kentucky’s heart would be good. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

"Appears"  that you "might"........this is rather significant news at this late date if true.  Any way you can site your son's source for this info?

When ordering the tickets there was a generic message about a 'health check' so people might be using that as a basis for speculation but I grabbed this directly from the Fieldhouse website about the Crossroads Classic:

Gainbridge Fieldhouse follows Marion County Health Department (MCHD) and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) requirements and guidelines from the promoter for each event. Proof of vaccination or testing is not required for general ticket holders at this event. The MCHD and the CDC recommend individuals wear masks indoors, regardless of vaccination status.

• Thanks 2

We could be 10-0 without having to create crazy "if only" scenarios of how we win at both Syracuse and Wisconsin.  Yes, we could also be 7-3 because we only beat St. Johns by two points.  The results, in terms of record, may not be much different than we saw under CAM, but it seems very, very clear to me that the culture around the program is different.  Of course we want the wins, but there shouldn't be any argument that we are in a much better position to see improved on-court results. 

With all this being said, next year we will likely have two huge holes to fill in TJD and Race. Experience, leadership, and production will be hard to replace. I wonder if this year will provide us the best opportunity for success for a couple of years. Time will tell.

Edited by IUDan93
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

This is a sneaky important game. Particularly for the psyche of the fan base. 

Agreed.

If we are on the bubble at year end it would be good to have a win vs ND.

I do not want us to be in the “bubble” discussion with an out of conference win against St John’s vs. losses against Syracuse and ND. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

Good thing this is the last of this event. I wouldn't count out Notre Dame based on what I saw in the UK game.

Agreed. If this is a close game down the stretch I'll be very nervous. 

While I think IU is better this year, the bugaboo is still the lack of an athletic, skilled guard/wing that can take over a game and get buckets down the stretch. 

We're still missing that and while he's a freshmen, ND has that in Blake Wesley. 

That's been the Achilles heel for this program since Archie got here, or really since Yogi left.

Remember what Aaron Henry did to us last year down the stretch? Scottie Barnes in the FSU game last year. Johnny Davis at Wisconsin. There are other examples. 

IU still just doesn't have a guy like that and it's harder the way the game is played now for a big to be that guy. 

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

Same! I've never understood that. 

We don't like Bardo, we don't like Jimmy Dykes (who is like top 3 for me), we don't like Shaun whatever his name is from ILL, we don't like .... idk I could come up with like 10 more guys if I really thought about it. 

Bardos goofy, but least he's a big ten guy. He says some way over the top positive stuff about IU ALL the time. Seems like a really good dude. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Remember what Aaron Henry did to us last year down the stretch? Scottie Barnes in the FSU game last year. Johnny Davis at Wisconsin. There are other examples. 

IU still just doesn't have a guy like that and it's harder the way the game is played now for a big to be that guy. 

Two other ones right off the top of my head...D'Mitrik Trice in Madison, and Ayo Dosunmu in Champaign last year...

And I totally agree about it being difficult for a big to be "that guy." I always thought while Luka Garza was a great college player, Iowa needed a wing (like Keegan Murray) that could get his at the end of the game...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We don't like Bardo, we don't like Jimmy Dykes (who is like top 3 for me), we don't like Shaun whatever his name is from ILL, we don't like .... idk I could come up with like 10 more guys if I really thought about it. 

Bardos goofy, but least he's a big ten guy. He says some way over the top positive stuff about IU ALL the time. Seems like a really good dude. 

Strangely enough we love Robbie Hummel.  

How did you forget our hatred of DD?

• Like 3

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Strangely enough we love Robbie Hummel.  

How did you forget our hatred of DD?

Ok all hatred towards DD is absolutely warranted 🤣

We also don't like Chris Weber because he can't pronounce Ferrell. Idk just seems silly. I tune them out, even when the volume is on.