Notre Dame Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is kind of a pretty big game though. Lose this and we're 0-3 away from Assembly Hall and just 2-3 against Power 5's heading into the remainder of conference play. 

Agreed. This is another winnable game. We lost the previous two. If growth is taking place and this team is learning what CMW is trying to teach them, we will find a way to win this game. Losing here would be the kind of thing that could snowball.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Agreed. This is another winnable game. We lost the previous two. If growth is taking place and this team is learning what CMW is trying to teach them, we will find a way to win this game. Losing here would be the kind of thing that could snowball.

Yup, because then all of the sudden there begins a "they haven't won outside of Assembly Hall" narrative. It can become a mental thing. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, because then all of the sudden there begins a "they haven't won outside of Assembly Hall" narrative. It can become a mental thing. 

For me, I’m not convinced THIS team is any different than the last few years. Sure, there are indicators that suggest we’re better, but without results those indicators mean nothing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

For me, I’m not convinced THIS team is any different than the last few years. Sure, there are indicators that suggest we’re better, but without results those indicators mean nothing. 

Indicator #1:  Mike Woodson vs. Archie Miller 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

Can you imagine how this board would have been watching this game? I turned it off after 10 mins. Talk about a bad IU team. Woodson would get fired today with that team. 19=12(12-6). Lost to UConn by 34.

19-12 and 12-6 in conference would actually be solid compared to recent years right?

20 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

As odd as it sounds I believe the ND game is more important to the fans than the team right now and that doesn't mean the team is ok with losing.

The fans want to believe things have changed but too many see any loss as proof it's the same old same old. Anyone being honest has to say things are not the same. The result may feel the same but this team plays harder than what we have seen over the past several seasons. They just have to clean up their game and learn how to win bigger games and especially on the road.

Had this team beaten Syracuse and/or Wisconsin they would still have to fix the same issues we see today in order to compete for a B1G title. It would just make us all feel better about everything had they won. Years ago we would see this team for what it really is - one that is going to drop some games early but has what it takes to become hard to beat when March roles around. 

I haven't been as pissed off after a game in years like I was after the Wisconsin game.  I don't get mad when I don't have a legitimate expectation that things could or will go well.  

That is all to say, there is a noticeable difference IMO between the past few years.  I have seen it pointed out that Woodson doing sideline coaching with TJD had dividends the very next game.  The other two were opposite extremes with the same outcome.  One ran around like a lunatic during the games and the other just stood and stared.  It appears coaching is going on...frankly I have not always felt that way over the past decade plus.

I am with you, finish top half of BIG, continue to improve and then see if we get hot in March.  This team has a ceiling on par with some of the best teams in the country.  Unfortunately we have a lower floor.  If we get the best this team has to offer, they will he competitive with anyone in the country.  They just need to figure out how to maximize their potential more often.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Have they?  Where's the loss to Fort Wayne?  Where's the sub 30 percent 3 point shooting?  Where's lack of effort and accountability?

I'll agree that the metrics, optics, and the vibe are completely different than Archie's regime, but I gotta admit that the losses to 'Cuse and Wisky have given me a lump in my throat.  That lump will go away with a convincing win over ND.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Have they?  Where's the loss to Fort Wayne?  Where's the sub 30 percent 3 point shooting?  Where's lack of effort and accountability?

I think you should re-read as opposed to arguing with me or trying to debate me. I DON’T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT INDICATORS OR WHAT YOU PERCEIVE TO BE BETTER. I’ll believe it when the results start showing up. Which SHOULD happen this year for the most part, given the SOS compared to last. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yet, results have been the same.

25 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think you should re-read as opposed to arguing with me or trying to debate me. I DON’T GIVE A HOOT ABOUT INDICATORS OR WHAT YOU PERCEIVE TO BE BETTER. I’ll believe it when the results start showing up. Which SHOULD happen this year for the most part, given the SOS compared to last. 

Okay.  I re-read.

In post #1, you clearly use the words 'results are same'.  Losing to Fort Wayne is a result, not an 'indicator'. 

As far as Post #2, this site is a discussion forum.  With 'discussion' comes 'debate'.  Participation in such discussion/debate often results in someone else responding.  Not exactly understanding why you are so upset with my response.  But, I will try to remember that in the future and refrain from openly disagreeing with you.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Okay.  I re-read.

In post #1, you clearly use the words 'results are same'.  Losing to Fort Wayne is a result, not an 'indicator'. 

As far as Post #2, this site is a discussion forum.  With 'discussion' comes 'debate'.  Participation in such discussion/debate often results in someone else responding.  Not exactly understanding why you are so upset with my response.  But, I will try to remember that in the future and refrain from openly disagreeing with you.

Ha ha. Amazing that you’ve had so many wives if you’re able to sense my emotions. I’m not upset and couldn’t care any less if somebody disagrees with me. You’re right, it is a forum for discussion. I already acknowledged that there were indicators that suggested we were better, and said I like and believe in CMW, but those things mean nothing without results. Not sure what there is to discuss …. with me at least. I don’t think our record would look any different right now if CAM was still here. Bottom line. 

P.S. - You picked one loss from CAM’s tenure to show how greatly improved we are now? I guess I could counter that with he had a win (or two?) at MSU. Is CMW not as good as a coach yet bc he hasn’t beaten a good team on the road? Guess that’s a result or indicator too. End of the day I’ll judge CMW on the season, and based on the schedule I expect a lot better.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by kyhoosier29

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Ha ha. Amazing that you’ve had so many wives if you’re able to sense my emotions. I’m not upset and couldn’t care any less if somebody disagrees with me. You’re right, it is a forum for discussion. I already acknowledged that there were indicators that suggested we were better, and said I like and believe in CMW, but those things mean nothing without results. Not sure what there is to discuss …. with me at least. I don’t think our record would look any different right now if CAM was still here. Bottom line. 

P.S. - You picked one loss from CAM’s tenure to show how greatly improved we are now? I guess I could counter that with he had a win (or two?) at MSU. Is CMW not as good as a coach yet bc he hasn’t beaten a good team on the road? Guess that’s a result or indicator too. End of the day I’ll judge CMW on the season, and based on the schedule I expect a lot better.  🤷🏻‍♂️

How about the ISU loss in his first game plus the loss to Fort Wayne

52 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Nah.  No TJD, no X, no Race.  No telling who else would be gone if CAM was still around.

Like Scott said, add 2 more loses.  

So, now we’re winning the home games we expect to win, but still losing the road games we expect to lose. I’m sure we’ll get over the hump of not finishing road games we should win with CMW, but to my original point, the results aren’t much different just yet. 

8 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So, now we’re winning the home games we expect to win, but still losing the road games we expect to lose. I’m sure we’ll get over the hump of not finishing road games we should win with CMW, but to my original point, the results aren’t much different just yet. 

Gotcha. I guess I disagree then because two more losses and that's a guaranteed out of tournament team.  The stability and strength of the program is light years beyond where it would be if Archie Miller was still the coach today.  The roster, the structure, the results, and the future would all be significantly different. Significantly worse.  Maybe we are on the same page mote than I realize but this ship is sailing in a much better direction.