IUFB NSD 2022

btownqb

4 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Seems to be another version of Lucas, yet smaller.  Do we need two really small wide receivers in the same class?

Lucas is a gadget guy. RB/WR/Return guy. Perry is more of a slot receiver. Last year IU couldn’t get separation. They are trying to add speed to fix that problem. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Once Matthews went out, we didn't have any suddenness anywhere in our skill positions.  Holt Bennett, Swinton...they are longer guys but not explosive in and out of cuts.  The one guy I wanted to see was Jacquez Smith because he was highly touted...hopefully he is coming along.  

You could see Holloman had a good burst at rb.

But like DC said, we are looking at quite an emphasis on more explosiveness...Shivers, Payne, Lucas, more receivers.  Allen mentioned in his presser that receiver is an area they still want to add to.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

Love you’re guys’ passion. Hope it’s tempered by the fact that until they show it on the field, it’s just bluster.

Don’t get me wrong, I want IU football to come roaring back. But recruiting hype is just that, hype.

I have been a fan through the worst of IU football. Hope to see the best in the rest of my time as a Hoosier fan 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Love you’re guys’ passion. Hope it’s tempered by the fact that until they show it on the field, it’s just bluster.

Don’t get me wrong, I want IU football to come roaring back. But recruiting hype is just that, hype.

I have been a fan through the worst of IU football. Hope to see the best in the rest of my time as a Hoosier fan 

You're a glass half empty guy.   😋   That's okay!  I go as far back as Tom Nowatzke.  I know what you mean.

43 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nope, just know that recruiting rankings are based on potential. Hope the potential is realized and we become a force to deal with 

I agree with you 100% but rather have guys/classes with higher ceilings and floors then not. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

That is the case with every teams recruiting class though they are all hype, not just the Hoosiers. Add a great recruiting class to a coach that has proven that he can win and there should be optimism. Yes the Hoosiers had a terrible year but there is no reason that they can't turn it around next season. Just look at teams in their own conference, Purdue, Michigan and the Spartans who all turned it around after down seasons.

Optimism is a good thing. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

We gave Perry a very late offer, on December 13th, and he flips to us from Central Michigan. It also sounds like we are close to adding another receiver. We have already signed another speed demon, Lucas, and also Camper and Cooper is verbally committed.

Do we need this many receivers or does the staff think Cooper is going to fly the coop?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

We gave Perry a very late offer, on December 13th, and he flips to us from Central Michigan. It also sounds like we are close to adding another receiver. We have already signed another speed demon, Lucas, and also Camper and Cooper is verbally committed.

Do we need this many receivers or does the staff think Cooper is going to fly the coop?

Deshaun Brown, Jordyn Williams, Jacolby Hewitt, Miles Marshall, Cameron Bukckley, and Rashawn Williams. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Deshaun Brown, Jordyn Williams, Jacolby Hewitt, Miles Marshall, and Rashawn Williams. 

That’s a good point. I haven’t really been tallying all the guys, by position, that have left. I partially asked because offering our lowest rated recruit at the last minute, and flipping him from a MAC school, kind of reminded me of the bad old days and/or I thought we were maybe losing Cooper.

That being said, you can’t teach speed and I’m not saying I think he will flop because of his offers/ranking. We needed separation and speed this year and hopefully he can help provide that. To be clear, I’m not complaining as this looks like a great class and I can’t believe what the staff accomplished after such a disappointing year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

That’s a good point. I haven’t really been tallying all the guys, by position, that have left. I partially asked because offering our lowest rated recruit at the last minute, and flipping him from a MAC school, kind of reminded me of the bad old days and/or I thought we were maybe losing Cooper.

That being said, you can’t teach speed and I’m not saying I think he will flop because of his offers/ranking. We needed separation and speed this year and hopefully he can help provide that. To be clear, I’m not complaining as this looks like a great class and I can’t believe what the staff accomplished after such a disappointing year.

But.. this is when you take one of those players. Those top 16-18 recruits (hoping you get Bailey) are very good and great for Indiana standards. This is when you take one of those specialty guys (a burner, a huge T but is raw, etc). Just my opinion. You are spot on in the things you've said though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But.. this is when you take one of those players. Those top 16-18 recruits (hoping you get Bailey) are very good and great for Indiana standards. This is when you take one of those specialty guys (a burner, a huge T but is raw, etc). Just my opinion. You are spot on in the things you've said though. 

Going back to the 2010 or so era Perry would have been one of our top recruits. A few weeks ago I looked at one of those years and only 4 of the recruits in that class even had a national ranking (and we were below schools like Troy).

• Like 1