Do you get a flu shot ?

milehiiu

27 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I never get a flu shot.  And never get the flu.  Despite the fact that my wife gets a flu shot every year.... and winds up with the flu... most every year.

What have been you experiencing.... considering this has been a bad year for the flu ?

We usually get one every year for the past several years and we haven't gotten the flu. We did not get one this year...and also have not gotten the flu (knocks on wood).

When your wife gets the flu is it a mild case? Supposedly, it is not as bad if you get the vaccine, but I always wondered about that.

25 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

We usually get one every year for the past several years and we haven't gotten the flu. We did not get one this year...and also have not gotten the flu (knocks on wood).

When your wife gets the flu is it a mild case? Supposedly, it is not as bad if you get the vaccine, but I always wondered about that.

Yes. Most often, when my wife gets the flu after a shot.... it is not that bad.  My son ( who is in his early 30's)  got a shot this year, on the advice of his doctor. He is contact with the public, much more than my wife, and especially me.... and so far he has not gotten the flu.

I certainly would be in favor of a flu shot, if I knew it was 100% effective for all, much like the polio shot.  However, in this case, I am not convinced they have a full proof flu shot. I am hesitant in injected into my body a toxin that actually could be the cause of a problem.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Yes. Most often, when my wife gets the flu after a shot.... it is not that bad.  My son ( who is in his early 30's)  got a shot this year, on the advice of his doctor. He is contact with the public, much more than my wife, and especially me.... and so far he has not gotten the flu.

I certainly would be in favor of a flu shot, if I knew it was 100% effective for all, much like the polio shot.  However, in this case, I am not convinced they have a full proof flu shot. I am hesitant in injected into my body a toxin that actually could be the cause of a problem.

I started getting the vaccine on the advice of my friends wife, who is a pharmacist. She thought we were crazy for not getting one before...especially when we were both teaching.

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I started getting the vaccine on the advice of my friends wife, who is a pharmacist. She thought we were crazy for not getting one before...especially when we were both teaching.

I suppose it may be good advice to get a flu shot, for people in contact with the public.  For years, I was in contact with the public... and never got a flu shot. And never got the flu. So, I suspect, a lot could do with genetics, as I never recall my parents, ever.... suffering with the flu. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 7:31 PM, milehiiu said:

I suppose it may be good advice to get a flu shot, for people in contact with the public.  For years, I was in contact with the public... and never got a flu shot. And never got the flu. So, I suspect, a lot could do with genetics, as I never recall my parents, ever.... suffering with the flu. 

sigh.

it's an inactivated vaccine that is physically incapable of causing you to get the flu, or having a sickness as a response (barring the 1/100,000 chance of an allergic reaction). There are so many viruses around this time of year that often people will get the vaccine, then contract a non-influenza virus and draw the wrong conclusion

Further, it's been proven to help if you do get the flu to have less severe symptoms and a shorter course. 

I've seen some bad, bad cases this year. Has landed a lot of people in the ICU as the severe strains are back and weren't covered as well with this round of vaccines. That said, everyone should be getting this shot and it's unbelievable to me that people don't.

My 2 cents, as a physician in training. 

If you have your own reasons to not get the vaccine, that’s fine and I can’t change your mind. I just pray that none of the reasons in that article you posted are YOUR reasons 

its a vaccine that works because molecularly it’s doing the same thing most other vaccines do. It’s impossible for it not to help protect against the flu

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/24354-6-flu-vaccine-myths.html

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, HoagieRoll said:

If you have your own reasons to not get the vaccine, that’s fine and I can’t change your mind. I just pray that none of the reasons in that article you posted are YOUR reasons 

its a vaccine that works because molecularly it’s doing the same thing most other vaccines do. It’s impossible for it not to help protect against the flu

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/24354-6-flu-vaccine-myths.html

I don't think people are arguing over the actual virus itself but about the other stuff inside the vaccine.  Have you actually looked at the CDC's website that lists the ingredients in the influenza vaccine?  That is not stuff that I would want in my body.  Also, with the multitude of influenza strains (300 known and who knows how many unknown), the vaccine only "prevents" the 3 strains the doctors guess are going to be most prevalent?  If that's the case, the vaccine only prevents up to 1% (3/300) of the total number of strains.  If a hundred people get the vaccine and it only works on 70% of them (I've read it's much lower than this), then you have an overall effectiveness of .7%.  That's not very good.  IMHO, there's a huge amount of propaganda that goes into the medical industry, and the flu vaccine is just one of those.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

I Also, with the multitude of influenza strains (300 known and who knows how many unknown), the vaccine only "prevents" the 3 strains the doctors guess are going to be most prevalent?  If that's the case, the vaccine only prevents up to 1% (3/300) of the total number of strains.  If a hundred people get the vaccine and it only works on 70% of them (I've read it's much lower than this), then you have an overall effectiveness of .7%.  That's not very good.  

False, you're assuming things incorrectly here. The 3-4 strains that it protects against are the most common ones, and many of the most severe strains--thus you can say it only prevents 1% of strains, but not then 1% of cases since not all strains are created equal. 

Again, CDC says and research has shown that if you are vaccinated you are 50% less likely to contract the flu (flu being the main strains that are commonly seen every year) and that if you do get the flu, your symptoms are less severe/prolonged. 

Local Denver news station, just this morning had a segment on the flu, this season.  Said some people who have had a shot, have gotten the flu twice this flu season. Different strains.  However, the most interesting thing is they said in three or four years, they will be developing a flu shot that covers all strains of flu. 

May sound silly. However, I make homemade chicken soup... all of the time.  Personally, think that, along with keeping hydrated goes a long way to preventing the flu for me. 

On 2/7/2018 at 1:42 PM, milehiiu said:

Local Denver news station, just this morning had a segment on the flu, this season.  Said some people who have had a shot, have gotten the flu twice this flu season. Different strains.  However, the most interesting thing is they said in three or four years, they will be developing a flu shot that covers all strains of flu. 

May sound silly. However, I make homemade chicken soup... all of the time.  Personally, think that, along with keeping hydrated goes a long way to preventing the flu for me. 

Without weighing in on the ongoing vaccine debate, there is no doubt that diet (as well as simply being diligent about washing your hands) has a ton of positive benefits for disease prevention. Good on you in that regard, Mile! 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Without weighing in on the ongoing vaccine debate, there is no doubt that diet (as well as simply being diligent about washing your hands) has a ton of positive benefits for disease prevention. Good on you in that regard, Mile! 

Thankyou Sir.  Don't want to discourage those who do feel the need for a flu shot.  However, my entire adult life, I have never gotten a flu shot.  And I don't get the flu.  Maybe it's genetics, as I don't recall my parents ever getting the flu either.

Anyway. I would like to share my simple Chicken Noodle Soup receipe. That I make all year long.  And keep on hand as well.

One whole chicken

Three to four stalks of celery, cut up.

Three to four carrots, cut up.

Parsley .

Salt. To taste.

Put the chicken in a soup pot.  And put on boil.  Skim the fat.

Once the fat is completely skimmed...Reduce the heat. Add the celery, carrots, parsley and salt.

Simmer, for an hour or longer.

Either keep the chicken in the pot, or take out and shred to add in with noodles.

Make noodles in a different pot, and add as desired, along with chicken, also if desired.

I have made this soup for years for friends and relatives , when they say they are not feeling well.  And they always have said it has helped them more than anything. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived