Jeff Goodman’s Mock draft

20 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

I don’t really have a problem with the first half of the 1st round leaving TJD out, but the 2nd half is where I’m confused.     https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-2022-nba-mock-draft-1-0-12-15-2021/

The guy is a clown. Has been fired by every meaningful place in the business. Goodman is the last place I'd look for info.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what is so surprising? Do any mock drafts have TJD as a 1st round pick?

I'd guess more mock drafts would have him going undrafted vs having him as a 1st round pick. 

He's still an undersized big with a questionable right hand and very little perimeter game. None of that has really changed. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure what is so surprising? Do any mock drafts have TJD as a 1st round pick?

I'd guess more mock drafts would have him going undrafted vs having him as a 1st round pick. 

He's still an undersized big with a questionable right hand and very little perimeter game. None of that has really changed. 

Woodson isn't the only reason he is back this year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

In your mind, who is the better Pro prospect (notice I did not say NBA)? 

TJD or Race?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In your mind, who is the better Pro prospect (notice I did not say NBA)? 

TJD or Race?

That's a really interesting question. As I think about it, I'm starting to lean towards Race Thompson mainly because neither is going to be a star at whatever level they're at next, so Race is better suited and accustomed to being a role player. To being a scrappy, do it all, lunchpail type of defender and rebounder, etc. Race also has some ball handling skills that can translate to that role as well. That is what an NBA team is looking for when they call up a player from the G-League for a 10-day contract or whatever. 

It also will come down to who can develop a somewhat consistent corner 3. To this point neither has shown they can be a consistent threat from the perimeter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

That's a really interesting question. As I think about it, I'm starting to lean towards Race Thompson mainly because neither is going to be a star at whatever level they're at next, so Race is better suited and accustomed to being a role player. To being a scrappy, do it all, lunchpail type of defender and rebounder, etc. Race also has some ball handling skills that can translate to that role as well. That is what an NBA team is looking for when they call up a player from the G-League for a 10-day contract or whatever. 

It also will come down to who can develop a somewhat consistent corner 3. To this point neither has shown they can be a consistent threat from the perimeter. 

I posed the question, because I obviously think the answer is Race.  Does not diminish one bit how great of a college player Trayce is.

I'm going to sound like IU Scott when I say this, but I would love to go back to a time where we celebrated guys more for how good they were in college versus being concerned about what they need to do to succeed at the next level.   

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Race can handle the ball and play a little bit on the perimeter.  That's a significant advantage at the next level.  

He does not do those things at an NBA level. TJD at least has some NBA level skills. I don't think his overall game translates well, but he at least has some skills that would interest an NBA team. Race does not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

He does not do those things at an NBA level. TJD at least has some NBA level skills. I don't think his overall game translates well, but he at least has some skills that would interest an NBA team. Race does not.

My original post was 'who would be more successful as a pro'.  I specifically qualified that was not necessarily NBA.  TJD is likely not going to make an NBA roster.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Bottom line, and my general point, is that we should appreciate what a great college player TJD is, and not worry about whether he makes it at the next level or not.  

It's kind of like the chicken and the egg. 

I think we all appreciate TJD's performance at IU, but we can do that and still speculate on his professional future. 

I also think discussing his NBA potential also comes with an aspect of his game helping IU. For TJD be the best pro possible he's going to need a reliable jumper, and if he had come into this year with a reliable jumper at volume, it would really help IU's offense. Same with Race. 

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree about the right hand and perimeter being an issue.

NBAdraft.net, for what it’s worth, has TJD as the last pick in the 1st round going to Golden State.  A month or so ago he was in the 20 or so range rather the present 30th.

15 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

IU fans have a tendency to overvalue the talent on the team. We always have people assuming our best player is an NBA draft pick. 

I can’t think of one NBA forward that you can point to and say “TJD would/could be of that cloth”. He doesn’t have NBA size, shooting ability, handles, or quickness/explosiveness. He’s a very good college player but unless he develops an excellent outside shot he’ll have little opportunity at the next level. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My original post was 'who would be more successful as a pro'.  I specifically qualified that was not necessarily NBA.  TJD is likely not going to make an NBA roster.  

I think he will make an NBA roster. He’s an extremely athletic big that can defend the paint and rebound. He will be a good backup 5 that rim runs and PnR’s. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think he will make an NBA roster. He’s an extremely athletic big that can defend the paint and rebound. He will be a good backup 5 that rim runs and PnR’s. 

I feel like with bigs especially, it's really hard right now to project who will translate to the NBA and who won't. TJD could end up a guy who thrives as an athletic 5 and with the spacing in the NBA. He could also end up a guy who is too undersized to defend and rebound and never develops a jumper. 

It's just so hard to tell anymore with how the game is played. Who knows?

• Like 1