Notre Dame Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

He totally nullifies what he does well with his poor play. He does more bad than he does good… why in the hell is he shooting 9 3’s a game?! He shot more than Stewart and Kopp combined. 

IU's team, sorted by Win Shares Per 40 Minutes.  If you're not familiar with the stat, it's an indicator to how much of an impact you make in regards to helping your team win while you are on the floor.  X looks pretty important by this stat.

image.thumb.png.d644939303e3ccaacea55d64d62656ec.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two things.  "Interesting" officiating.  I don't think much of what was called will be fouls in the BT.  Took a lot away from the game IMO.  Still trying to figure out how we lost out on the Flagrant 1 (no play on the ball) and end up negative points.

We see the best and worst every game.  A little more of the worst in this one.  Early lazy passes or trying to make a hero pass.  Once they settled down it got better.  A few out of context shots, early in the possessions. Maybe it was the finals and long lay off.

BT is right around the corner.  Don't know if I am excited or not. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We have an erratic point guard and our wings lack athleticism. When we NEED a bucket, it can be a struggle.  So we aren’t there yet.  But we should still be competitive this year.  I think a 7-10 seed in the tourney.  If we exceed my expectations, I’d love it.  

Very true.  This team still has a high ceiling.  They lack a player that can shoot over someone, make their own shot.  Most teams seem to have that athlete, at least one.  Jordan and Bates are those two athletes.  Jordan needs to figure out how not to get beat on D and he will see more time.  The elevation he can get on his shot and the wrist snap can be dangerous.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU's team, sorted by Win Shares Per 40 Minutes.  If you're not familiar with the stat, it's an indicator to how much of an impact you make in regards to helping your team win while you are on the floor.  X looks pretty important by this stat.

image.thumb.png.d644939303e3ccaacea55d64d62656ec.png

But so does Logan Duncomb...

Just sayin'...

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I said great shooters...and I stand by my statement.  Night in and out it's going to be our defense that will have to rely on.  We aren't going to average 75 pts per game in conference play.  JMHO.   😊

I think Parker Stewart is a great shooter...when he's stepping into it, it's almost automatic...

Our problem as I see it (and those with more knowledge of the intricacies of the game can chime in) is teams are going to dare our point guards to shoot while sticking to our 2 more reliable outside shooters...I thought both TJD and Race did a good job of passing out of the double team at the end, but could only find Rob or XJ with their man sagging 10 feet off of them...I know XJ's 3 numbers are good now, but with the tighter defense of the Big 10, that water will find its level...

We have to get Stewart more than 4 shots a game...as of right now he's 27-54 from 3...right at 50%

BTW, Illinois only beat the Irish by 10 in that dump in Champaign...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Parker Stewart is a great shooter...when he's stepping into it, it's almost automatic...

Our problem as I see it (and those with more knowledge of the intricacies of the game can chime in) is teams are going to dare our point guards to shoot while sticking to our 2 more reliable outside shooters...I thought both TJD and Race did a good job of passing out of the double team at the end, but could only find Rob or XJ with their man sagging 10 feet off of them...I know XJ's 3 numbers are good now, but with the tighter defense of the Big 10, that water will find its level...

We have to get Stewart more than 4 shots a game...as of right now he's 27-54 from 3...right at 50%

I don't disagree.  Where was Bates today??  Dog house?? 

Edited by jv1972iu

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent post.  At times, they don't guard Phinisee.  His man would just ignore him and triple team TJD.  It really clogs the floor when you have a liability on offense like that.

He's not useless.  He covered a bigger guy in Wesley.  I think where Phinisee will save us when he is able to cover a guy like Ivey or other athletic guys who get downhill.  The height difference is worth it.  Ivey wants to attack off the bounce, and Phin needs to harass him on that.  If Ivey hits some shots over Phin, so be it.  We don't have many other guys who can cover a wing of that ilk.  

The trick on offense is you put Phin off the ball.  If the other team doesn't have a guy who is beating us downhill, there is no law that Phinisee must play.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Excellent post.  At times, they don't guard Phinisee.  His man would just ignore him and triple team TJD.  It really clogs the floor when you have a liability on offense like that.

He's not useless.  He covered a bigger guy in Wesley.  I think where Phinisee will save us when he is able to cover a guy like Ivey or other athletic guys who get downhill.  The height difference is worth it.  Ivey wants to attack off the bounce, and Phin needs to harass him on that.  If Ivey hits some shots over Phin, so be it.  We don't have many other guys who can cover a wing of that ilk.  

The trick on offense is you put Phin off the ball.  If the other team doesn't have a guy who is beating us downhill, there is no law that Phinisee must play.  

In the post game, Coach Woody seemed happier with Rob than XJ, but he did say he was happy with the play of both...

He did sneak in that XJ can be a great defender when he wants to, and that he was unhappy with the 2 blow by layups near the end (one on XJ, one on Stewart)...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I truly want to see Durr succeed sooo bad! His hands are just not strong around the basket. Every time he brings the ball down low it’s gets hacked and swiped at. Usually, 9 out of 10 times he loses it. 

Durr's footwork for a big guy is atrocious...

Say what you want about Joey Brunk but the guy knew how to use shot fakes while keeping his pivot foot...Michael needs to work on that...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Needs to get more shots in movement w/o the ball and get his own shot with the ball.  Not much motion in our motion offense, yet.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But so does Logan Duncomb...

Just sayin'...

C'mon.  Obviously stats are skewed with smaller sample sizes.  The relief pitcher in baseball who goes 1-1 at the plate on the year does not get credit for a batting title. 

Of the regular players, X has the 3rd best number behind Trayce and Race.  And, no one would argue that those two guys are our best players.  But, X is right behind and well above some of teh other guys people want to see more of.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1