Notre Dame Post Game Thread

KDB

@BGleas or anyone else with some knowledge or higher level experience.  

Is the playbook being held back at this point or is this simple dump into the post and stand around, maybe trade places without an actual pick being set going to be our primary offense in the meat grind of conference schedule? 

I will say, coming out of timeouts, we usually have a good shot going up within 3 passes.  I also hope in film session they put the 4 passes and one power dribble then dump off for Trayce's slam on the longest loop.  Honestly, the ball could have swung even faster on the play but X kinda wound up his pass, then Rob ever so slightly hesitated, if not that would have been Race with a layup instead of the power dribble assist for slam.  

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm loving all the positive energy after a P5 win.😝

Holy hell, it wasn't the best game but we won and if you can't see the improvement in defense and shooting compared to the last few years,

I know a couple guys named Harry and Lloyd from Rhode Island that will sell you a parakeet with its head ducked taped on while they drive a dog van to Sunny Aspen in winter looking for a Readhead named Samsonite. 

Holy shit, where's the Tylenol. 

Honestly, what the hell do some of you expect?

I'm not sure it's an expectation on my part, but more a feeling that if we could get one of the PGs to play the way Coach Woody wants them to play, we could truly contend for top 3 in the Big 10...

We have a good inside game, reliable shooters, play good defense...

Having kids come off the bench and contribute consistently and having a floor leader that runs the offense efficiently, and doesn't turn it over are the two areas we have issues...

The latter especially manifests itself as frustrated criticism in game threads...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

C'mon.  Obviously stats are skewed with smaller sample sizes.  The relief pitcher in baseball who goes 1-1 at the plate on the year does not get credit for a batting title. 

Of the regular players, X has the 3rd best number behind Trayce and Race.  And, no one would argue that those two guys are our best players.  But, X is right behind and well above some of teh other guys people want to see more of.

I hear ya, I'm just saying that particular "metric" 😉 isn't going to tell the whole story (none of them beside points scored and points given up really do)...

26 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

For those banging on XJ, you know that attitude that this team hasn’t had in the last few years, that kind of edgy, bulldog sort of thing? Yeah, XJ has that, and so does Parker. It’s refreshing to see, and I’m ok with Parker getting a tech while sending a bit of a message. 

Elsewhere, i think we just need to improve our offensive IQ a bit. There were some really dumb shots and decisions made - multiple deep 3s taken early in the shot clock, the sloppy TOs, etc. The plus is that these can be cleaned up/fixed this season, so let’s see what this coaching staff can do. If anything, I’m excited to see how this team develops during the rest of the season. 

Kind of an ugly W, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good W. 

Great post!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

For those banging on XJ, you know that attitude that this team hasn’t had in the last few years, that kind of edgy, bulldog sort of thing? Yeah, XJ has that, and so does Parker. It’s refreshing to see, and I’m ok with Parker getting a tech while sending a bit of a message. 

Elsewhere, i think we just need to improve our offensive IQ a bit. There were some really dumb shots and decisions made - multiple deep 3s taken early in the shot clock, the sloppy TOs, etc. The plus is that these can be cleaned up/fixed this season, so let’s see what this coaching staff can do. If anything, I’m excited to see how this team develops during the rest of the season. 

I agree about KJ and Parker - we need some edge and attitude. I know the result of Parker’s T wasn’t good, but I liked seeing him show that fire and go after the dude to back up his big man. More of that please. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

I agree about KJ and Parker - we need some edge and attitude. I know the result of Parker’s T wasn’t good, but I liked seeing him show that fire and go after the dude to back up his big man. More of that please. 

It was garbage that he got a technical foul in the first place.  He defended his teammate in a controlled way and the fact he got a technical foul on that call was about as bad of a call as I have seen in a long while.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

You got that new-fangled keyboard/keypad where the 'K' and the 'X' are next to each other?  :coffee:

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I don’t think ANYBODY has a complaint about XJ’s personality or aggressiveness, but if we’re just supposed to live with the poor shot selection and out of control tendencies because he brings the other positives, then we aren’t getting close to our potential this year. Somebody (coaching staff ?) has to get him to understand that we can be a REALLY good team if he makes better overall decisions. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with demanding that. If it’s simply “we have to live with the bad to get the good”, then we won’t go very far. Saw how that worked out with DG. It stinks for XJ because he’s already made us much better and deserves credit for that, but he’s also what’s holding us back from being REALLY good. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We have this every year, with every team, with every coach.  There are the die hard we're the best team in the country and we have no ceiling fans.  There are the we're the same shitty team we have last year folks.  And the spectrum across the board.  Many of the complaints are legit and although harder to understand when we win, are still legit.  There are also legit points that we're a better team than the last 4 years combined.  

None of this changes the fact that I have been trying to reach about your cars extended warranty and you keep ignoring me.

I like this post.  I have stopped coming here as much and try not to post much due to the wrong posters dominating this board, but I think you make a great point.  There are people who think if you say anything negative you "aren't a real fan."  There are people who are always negative.  I consider myself a diehard fan who is generally guarded/pessimistic with my expectations/outlook.  One thing that annoys me is when everyone gets super excited when we beat terrible teams easily or when we beat a lower level P5 team that is .500 and declare Woodson has gotten us back!  Then the same people turn around and act like we are terrible when we lose to a good team.  Gotta consider we who play each game.  Unfortunately we are an average P5 team.  Are we headed the right direction?  I sure hope so.  I think so personally.  Am I ready to say Woodson has turned us around in less than a year?  Of course not.  Do I think we would have had very similar results thus far with CAM?  Yeah, I do.  Do I wish we still had him?  Of course not.  Just my opinions and I will watch every game and cheer for Old IU regardless.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think ANYBODY has a complaint about XJ’s personality or aggressiveness, but if we’re just supposed to live with the poor shot selection and out of control tendencies because he brings the other positives, then we aren’t getting close to our potential this year. Somebody (coaching staff ?) has to get him to understand that we can be a REALLY good team if he makes better overall decisions. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with demanding that. If it’s simply “we have to live with the bad to get the good”, then we won’t go very far. Saw how that worked out with DG. It stinks for XJ because he’s already made us much better and deserves credit for that, but he’s also what’s holding us back from being REALLY good. 

Definitely agree that he needs to make better decisions and play smarter, but the attitude he is putting out there will help everyone across the board, and it’s one of the glaring things that has been missing from this team for years. I’ll also admit that i didn’t see much of his play at Pitt, so not sure if this is just who he is or if it can be harnessed. 

In addition, he’s not the only one that needs to clean up some things on the offensive end. Kopp and others (including XJ)  took some really bad 3s early in the shot clock, we had the usual handful of sloppy TOs, and we allowed ND to dictate tempo in general. But, yeah, agreed that if we can get more consistent play from XJ, this could be a very dangerous team. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Definitely agree that he needs to make better decisions and play smarter, but the attitude he is putting out there will help everyone across the board, and it’s one of the glaring things that has been missing from this team for years. I’ll also admit that i didn’t see much of his play at Pitt, so not sure if this is just who he is or if it can be harnessed. 

In addition, he’s not the only one that needs to clean up some things on the offensive end. Kopp and others (including XJ)  took some really bad 3s early in the shot clock, we had the usual handful of sloppy TOs, and we allowed ND to dictate tempo in general. But, yeah, agreed that if we can get more consistent play from XJ, this could be a very dangerous team. 

Early on Xavier scouting report is that when he drives to the rim, its slow to fast and his only option to layup.  He has not shown the ability, yet, to drive to the free throw line and below and make a decision to pass.  This is where all our pg's development needs, in my opinion.  I'm sure they are working on it, but in game time play, it doesn't yet become natural.  In the 4-1, you need the drive and dish as a tool to create.  IU, primarly, has to go inside out to create on the permiter (non sets and quick hitters).   There is no question that Kopp and Parker are light out shooters...they are not ones that will rip by the defender and be able to create consistently.  That is where the pg has to come in.  Now, the one that has shown flashes to do this is Lander.  However, the pressure D that Xavier and Rob can create outweight the Offense as D will keep you in every game.  

Looking forward to see if the pg can develop in this area.  It is not an easy skill to develop and one that sometimes has to start early in development.  Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

Are we a perfect team, no but there is no such thing as a perfect team.  I just wish after the win there was not so much critiquing of what we did wrong rather than what we did right.  I just think to many fans my age thinks they are a coach instead of just a fan.  It goes back to us watching coach Knight and thinking like him instead of just a person watching the game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Are we a perfect team, no but there is no such thing as a perfect team.  I just wish after the win there was not so much critiquing of what we did wrong rather than what we did right.  I just think to many fans my age thinks they are a coach instead of just a fan.  It goes back to us watching coach Knight and thinking like him instead of just a person watching the game.

Thats your perspective.  I took Coach Knights class, and he had us critique the games (there is data to counter what you said). There are fans that watch for entertainment and there are fans that get attached and want to talk about the team and the game.  Another example would be the movie Hoosiers that everyone loves...the whole town had something to say about everything.  That is Indiana basketball and that is what makes this fan base awesome.  No one is negatively talking about anything, talking about the game and what is yet to become.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm truly sorry if I'm wrong.

Educate me on my cars warranty, honestly had no idea and im lost in the insurance world.

When did you you try to reach out to me about my cars warranty?  

I'm 36 and have only owned 2 trucks and 3 cars in my life.  Been working on shit since I was 10 years old.  I do all my own work and put 350,000 plus thousand miles on multiple vehicles.   

None of which had a warranty because they all expired before I owned them.

Oh, my grandpa also had a body shop, and me and my uncle Jim built dirt track cars that he raced. Pretty sure I know my way around a vehicle. 

So WTF are you talking about? I don't need a GD warranty.  I do it better, cheaper when I do it myself. 

So provide some proof you reached out to me. You can't, because you never have. 

I can't tell if you're serious and you don't own a phone or a tv or if you're clever like a fox and have reversed this joke on me

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Thats your perspective.  I took Coach Knights class, and he had us critique the games (there is data to counter what you said). There are fans that watch for entertainment and there are fans that get attached and want to talk about the team and the game.  Another example would be the movie Hoosiers that everyone loves...the whole town had something to say about everything.  That is Indiana basketball and that is what makes this fan base awesome.  No one is negatively talking about anything, talking about the game and what is yet to become.  

You congratulate yourself on a win for 2 minutes, then spend the next 48 hours pouring over the things you did wrong until the next game. It's how winners get better.  You don't pat yourself on the back for days on end until the next  game. 

You say great job guys.  Now, where can we get better?

XJ, stop shooting a 3pt shot 5 seconds into the shot clock when we have better shooters on the floor, go downhill and dish. 

Stewart/Kopp, stop standing around and watching basketball, get yourself open and ready for a shot. 

TJD, stop holding the ball out away from you with 1 hand and making one handed baseball passes. 

Rob, stop dribbling the ball into the floor and do something productive and get to the hole or the elbow where you're a much better shooter.

Lander (in practice), get your ass in front of your guy and play lock down defense or you will never see the floor during a game. 

I would be more concerned if everyone on this board was super happy with they play we have seen so far instead of happy we have some wins but concerned with what issues we have seen.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You congratulate yourself on a win for 2 minutes, then spend the next 48 hours pouring over the things you did wrong until the next game. It's how winners get better.  You don't pat yourself on the back for days on end until the next  game. 

You say great job guys.  Now, where can we get better?

XJ, stop shooting a 3pt shot 5 seconds into the shot clock when we have better shooters on the floor, go downhill and dish. 

Stewart/Kopp, stop standing around and watching basketball, get yourself open and ready for a shot. 

TJD, stop holding the ball out away from you with 1 hand and making one handed baseball passes. 

Rob, stop dribbling the ball into the floor and do something productive and get to the hole or the elbow where you're a much better shooter.

Lander (in practice), get your ass in front of your guy and play lock down defense or you will never see the floor during a game. 

I would be more concerned if everyone on this board was super happy with they play we have seen so far instead of happy we have some wins but concerned with what issues we have seen.

I am talking about fans, not coaches or players.  To me it is not a fun way of being a fan of all you do is critique the poor play.  As fans we can't make changes or have any influence on the play on the court.

Lord knows I was like that for many years and was miserable during the season.  I decided a few years back just to try to put sports into more of a perspective and realize it was not worth worrying about things I have no influence over.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Fun to see IU win a game in person. Been a while for me. Went to the Colts game too. Just think Scott we could have bumped into each other and not known it. 😋

For the IU game I was behind the goal that we went to in the second half in the 400 level.  For the Colts game was in the first row of section 333