Notre Dame Post Game Thread

KDB

29 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You congratulate yourself on a win for 2 minutes, then spend the next 48 hours pouring over the things you did wrong until the next game. It's how winners get better.  You don't pat yourself on the back for days on end until the next  game. 

You say great job guys.  Now, where can we get better?

XJ, stop shooting a 3pt shot 5 seconds into the shot clock when we have better shooters on the floor, go downhill and dish. 

Stewart/Kopp, stop standing around and watching basketball, get yourself open and ready for a shot. 

TJD, stop holding the ball out away from you with 1 hand and making one handed baseball passes. 

Rob, stop dribbling the ball into the floor and do something productive and get to the hole or the elbow where you're a much better shooter.

Lander (in practice), get your ass in front of your guy and play lock down defense or you will never see the floor during a game. 

I would be more concerned if everyone on this board was super happy with they play we have seen so far instead of happy we have some wins but concerned with what issues we have seen.

Excellent point and post...

Dude, you're on a roll...having a "right" poster, @NCHoosier32 and a "wrong" poster (me) compliment your posts in 2 pages is quite a feat! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Excellent point and post...

Dude, you're on a roll...having a "right" poster, @NCHoosier32 and a "wrong" poster (me) compliment your posts in 2 pages is quite a feat! 

Yeah, I saw @NCHoosier32's post.  I got a chuckle out of it.  I also see why he didn't want to play fantasy football with us.  Us "wrong" guys are in the league.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am talking about fans, bit coaches or players.  To me it is not a fun way of being a fan of all you do is critique the poor play.  Ad fans we can't make changes or have any influence on the play on the court.

Lord knows I was like that for many years and was miserable during the season.  I decided a few years back just to try to put sports into more of a perspective and realize it was not worth worrying about things I have no influence over.

Jesus Scott, how have you not figured out that its an Internet Fan Forum.  FFS, we all know we can't affect anything.  But we come here to discuss what is on our mind concerning IU basketball.  We like to bounce ideas and thoughts off of other fans to see if our thoughts and ideas have merit.  No one is right or wrong most of the time.  We all understand that.  Most of us can separate sports from life and a loss or a win doesn't affect our day to day lives.  

Maybe stop telling people how to post or how to be fans.  either Discuss the topics or ignore.  You don't need to tell everyone they are wrong or how to be part of the group.  I am not trying to be an ass but man, it gets tough always reading you telling me or anyone we're bad fans or idiots for posting something on here. We're not you man.  We don't think like you and probably never will.  Just enjoy the discussion or move on and ignore it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Jesus Scott, how have you not figured out that its an Internet Fan Forum.  FFS, we all know we can't affect anything.  But we come here to discuss what is on our mind concerning IU basketball.  We like to bounce ideas and thoughts off of other fans to see if our thoughts and ideas have merit.  No one is right or wrong most of the time.  We all understand that.  Most of us can separate sports from life and a loss or a win doesn't affect our day to day lives.  

Maybe stop telling people how to post or how to be fans.  either Discuss the topics or ignore.  You don't need to tell everyone they are wrong or how to be part of the group.  I am not trying to be an ass but man, it gets tough always reading you telling me or anyone we're bad fans or idiots for posting something on here. We're not you man.  We don't think like you and probably never will.  Just enjoy the discussion or move on and ignore it.

It just gets old seeing the same people bitching and moaning after every game.  It just seems like some people are never happy or satisfied unless they have something to bitch about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It just gets old seeing the same people bitching and moaning after every game.  It just seems like some people are never happy or satisfied unless they have something to bitch about.

I don't know @IU Scott, I went back through this thread and found very little in the way of actual "bitching." I see people commenting on what we need to shore up before conference play begins in earnest, and that may vary some, but I consider those simply opinions...

If you've been around as many professional bitchers in life as I have, you learn to spot the differences ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know @IU Scott, I went back through this thread and found very little in the way of actual "bitching." I see people commenting on what we need to shore up before conference play begins in earnest, and that may vary some, but I consider those simply opinions...

If you've been around as many professional bitchers in life as I have, you learn to spot the differences ;) 

True

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You congratulate yourself on a win for 2 minutes, then spend the next 48 hours pouring over the things you did wrong until the next game. It's how winners get better.  You don't pat yourself on the back for days on end until the next  game. 

You say great job guys.  Now, where can we get better?

XJ, stop shooting a 3pt shot 5 seconds into the shot clock when we have better shooters on the floor, go downhill and dish. 

Stewart/Kopp, stop standing around and watching basketball, get yourself open and ready for a shot. 

TJD, stop holding the ball out away from you with 1 hand and making one handed baseball passes. 

Rob, stop dribbling the ball into the floor and do something productive and get to the hole or the elbow where you're a much better shooter.

Lander (in practice), get your ass in front of your guy and play lock down defense or you will never see the floor during a game. 

I would be more concerned if everyone on this board was super happy with they play we have seen so far instead of happy we have some wins but concerned with what issues we have seen.

While I think you are too negative, you make a lot of good points here that I have a feeling the staff are making as well.  We have to remember that most of these kids have been playing at least 10-15 years and habits formed during that much time playing don't get reversed overnight, especially when most decisions have to be made in split seconds.  I guarantee the coaches are seeing the same things we are seeing and with time and repetition, we'll see things improve. 

For example, Lander is plenty quick to play good defense, but he is way too tight to his man too far out giving himself no time to adjust to the blow by.  He is probably leaning too far forward to reverse quickly as well, but I'm going off memory there.  Khristian, the players you face here are a lot faster than the ones you faced in high school.  Leave a couple of feet between you and your man when you're 30 feet from the hoop and you'll have the time and space to prevent him from getting that half step on you for the blow by...kapish?  You can bet a professional staff literally paid millions has mentioned something like this multiple times already.

I think it's OK for fans to be happy with a win while discussing things that can be improved.  I don't get the constant negative mindset though.  It's the coaching staff's job to focus on and correct mistakes.  I don't think it's even healthy for fans to obsess on every shortcoming.  Just my thoughts here...there will always be things to be upset about.  No need to dwell on them so much though...it's not like it's our job and we're getting paid to do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am talking about fans, not coaches or players.  To me it is not a fun way of being a fan of all you do is critique the poor play.  As fans we can't make changes or have any influence on the play on the court.

Lord knows I was like that for many years and was miserable during the season.  I decided a few years back just to try to put sports into more of a perspective and realize it was not worth worrying about things I have no influence over.

Ha...wish I'd read this before responding.  Yours was much more to the point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You're not a bad fan or an idiot...far from it.  I thought you made some great points.  You just seem too upset and focused on the negatives after a win...just my perspective.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Early on Xavier scouting report is that when he drives to the rim, its slow to fast and his only option to layup.  He has not shown the ability, yet, to drive to the free throw line and below and make a decision to pass.  This is where all our pg's development needs, in my opinion.  I'm sure they are working on it, but in game time play, it doesn't yet become natural.  In the 4-1, you need the drive and dish as a tool to create.  IU, primarly, has to go inside out to create on the permiter (non sets and quick hitters).   There is no question that Kopp and Parker are light out shooters...they are not ones that will rip by the defender and be able to create consistently.  That is where the pg has to come in.  Now, the one that has shown flashes to do this is Lander.  However, the pressure D that Xavier and Rob can create outweight the Offense as D will keep you in every game.  

Looking forward to see if the pg can develop in this area.  It is not an easy skill to develop and one that sometimes has to start early in development.  Just some thoughts.

Completely agree. Once ND shut down the lob pass on drives, our guards seemed kind of lost on how to get the ball to the bigs. Rob did a nice job of pulling up for a couple of mid range jumpers, he just really needs to knock one or two down to get some confidence. 

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Completely agree. Once ND shut down the lob pass on drives, our guards seemed kind of lost on how to get the ball to the bigs. Rob did a nice job of pulling up for a couple of mid range jumpers, he just really needs to knock one or two down to get some confidence. 

If Rob could knock down those mid range jumpers on a consistent basis he would increase our team's arsenal exponentially.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm truly sorry if I'm wrong.

Educate me on my cars warranty, honestly had no idea and im lost in the insurance world.

When did you you try to reach out to me about my cars warranty?  

I'm 36 and have only owned 2 trucks and 3 cars in my life.  Been working on shit since I was 10 years old.  I do all my own work and put 350,000 plus thousand miles on multiple vehicles.   

None of which had a warranty because they all expired before I owned them.

Oh, my grandpa also had a body shop, and me and my uncle Jim built dirt track cars that he raced. Pretty sure I know my way around a vehicle. 

So WTF are you talking about? I don't need a GD warranty.  I do it better, cheaper when I do it myself. 

So provide some proof you reached out to me. You can't, because you never have. 

:snack:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

You're not a bad fan or an idiot...far from it.  I thought you made some great points.  You just seem too upset and focused on the negatives after a win...just my perspective.

I am actually not upset about wins or losses anymore.  IU games don't affect me at all.  I watch the game and if we win i go about my day the same if we lose.  I am more casual than i used to be.  My point was its ok to say good win and then look at where we can get better.  And saying that XJ needs to be more in control is reasonable.  Or than Race and TJD needs to value the ball more, even if they scored 20+ points each.  I am not trying to be negative because i think we're a better team this year than we have been in years.  

I just get tired of both sides actually who go after posters for having either a too positive or too negative viewpoint, based on what they think.  Its a forum with people from all walks of life, ages and fandom.  Discuss, argue and prove your point.  But calling people out and saying just be like me isn't really fun.

On to the next game, go Hoosiers!!

Glad that we got a W. This is one of those must wins. Winning this game doesn't pad our resume that much, but if we lost, it would look really bad. Soon heading into the Big 10 gauntlet, I'm lowering my expectation a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if we would get .500 in Big 10 and be one of those  bubble teams in March. Of course anything can happen. 

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think ANYBODY has a complaint about XJ’s personality or aggressiveness, but if we’re just supposed to live with the poor shot selection and out of control tendencies because he brings the other positives, then we aren’t getting close to our potential this year. Somebody (coaching staff ?) has to get him to understand that we can be a REALLY good team if he makes better overall decisions. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with demanding that. If it’s simply “we have to live with the bad to get the good”, then we won’t go very far. Saw how that worked out with DG. It stinks for XJ because he’s already made us much better and deserves credit for that, but he’s also what’s holding us back from being REALLY good. 

Yes yes yes!!! Spot on. The coaching staff cannot have the mentality of Race where he says and I’ll tell him to take the 10th one. The mentality should be X you’re not making your threes try something else or make the extra pass. If you’re wide open for three then most likely you can dribble a couple dribbles and force the other team to make a decision. We definitely win in Wisconsin and we maybe win at Syracuse if X plays like a senior. He’s playing like a freshman in shot selection. When I coach I talk about high percentage shots. Kopp, Stewart, Leal taking open 3s are high percentage shots. X taking one especially early in the shot clock is not one. More than  2 of 11 shots X takes should be from layups or near the free throw line and for him I’d considered high percentage shots. He’s a senior HE has to be better on decision making period.

• Like 2