Notre Dame Post Game Thread

KDB

I know we watch and critique IU more than  we do other teams.  If you watch a lot of college basketball or just basketball in general you will see those same mistakes by every team out there.  I just don't think kids today are brought valuing each possession like we did when we were young.  In AAU where you are playing 6 games a weekend players are not worried about team wins rather they worry about looking good for coaches.  They come in undisciplined and are not working on fundementals of the game like they use to.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know we watch and critique IU more than  we do other teams.  If you watch a lot of college basketball or just basketball in general you will see those same mistakes by every team out there.  I just don't think kids today are brought valuing each possession like we did when we were young.  In AAU where you are playing 6 games a weekend players are not worried about team wins rather they worry about looking good for coaches.  They come in undisciplined and are not working on fundementals of the game like they use to.

I think that’s a fair point I just don’t think certain decisions/mistakes should happen as a senior in power 5 basketball. 

9 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think that’s a fair point I just don’t think certain decisions/mistakes should happen as a senior in power 5 basketball. 

Agreed.

IUscott is 100% right, AAU has destroyed the teaching of fundamentals and team play.

College coaches just have to emphasize possessions/turnovers. It's why you can pretty much point out which programs will lead the league in turnovers and which will have very few turnovers. The Virginia's, purdue's, Villanova's, etc take care of the ball and get more quality shots up. Others like we've seen the last decade lean toward the run and gun... get easy transition buckets at the expense of turning it over....

Coaches that are given time to build their program and bring their own players in will have a program that reflects what they teach/believe in. Taking care of the ball can be tought.... old habits die hard though. Easier to teach a freshman than it is a juniou/senior.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ephul said:

Agreed.

IUscott is 100% right, AAU has destroyed the teaching of fundamentals and team play.

College coaches just have to emphasize possessions/turnovers. It's why you can pretty much point out which programs will lead the league in turnovers and which will have very few turnovers. The Virginia's, purdue's, Villanova's, etc take care of the ball and get more quality shots up. Others like we've seen the last decade lean toward the run and gun... get easy transition buckets at the expense of turning it over....

Coaches that are given time to build their program and bring their own players in will have a program that reflects what they teach/believe in. Taking care of the ball can be tought.... old habits die hard though. Easier to teach a freshman than it is a juniou/senior.

I'd posted this before, but this is what Coach Woodson said on his last radio show with Don Fischer...

“I don’t think they have enough time in AAU to teach. When I was coming up as a player, it was the high school coach who dominated everything. Now with AAU, you just roll the ball out and play.”

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ephul said:

Agreed.

Yep exactly!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I can't tell if you're serious and you don't own a phone or a tv or if you're clever like a fox and have reversed this joke on me

I was responding to this which you posted, quoting me on Saturday.

"None of this changes the fact that I have been trying to reach about your cars extended warranty and you keep ignoring me."

If it was a joke it went over my head. 

I had also taken a painkiller for my back pain against my better judgment.  Prescription narcotics, uh make me goofy.

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Was late watching the game and utilized the fast forward a lot. 

So, was it just me, or did XJ and RP spend a lot more time on the floor together? It’d be interesting to see a +/- stat on the lineups when they appeared on the floor together. 

RP and XJ did spend a lot of time on the floor together, but in the post game Coach Woody said it was about Notre Dame going small and matchups on defense for us...

About the 6:56 mark...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

RP and XJ did spend a lot of time on the floor together, but in the post game Coach Woody said it was about Notre Dame going small and matchups on defense for us...

About the 6:56 mark...

In relation to this, I’ve been hearing they guys on Assembly Call  talk about the rotations lately and how they think it might be beneficial to integrate certain bench players in with the starters rather than these mass substitutions. I was on board for Woody to try an NBA-like approach in regards to the lineups at the beginning of the season to see how it went. However, IMO, we aren’t deep enough and certain bench players that would benefit from the double teams that TJD and Race draw aren’t getting that advantage (mainly Scoop and Leal). I’d also think that RP would benefit from high percentage shooters being on the floor (Kopp and Stewart). I hope that Woody tightens up and actually rotates the rotations come B1G play. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I was in 218 for the basketball game and 225 for the football game. 

CrossRoads.jpg

Lucas.jpg

That's a pretty good double dip. Several years ago we went to St Louis for a friend's bachelor party. He is a huge Raiders fan and Cards baseball fan. That Sunday we went to the Raiders Cardinals game and that evening saw the Cards and Giants playoff game.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

In relation to this, I’ve been hearing they guys on Assembly Call  talk about the rotations lately and how they think it might be beneficial to integrate certain bench players in with the starters rather than these mass substitutions. I was on board for Woody to try an NBA-like approach in regards to the lineups at the beginning of the season to see how it went. However, IMO, we aren’t deep enough and certain bench players that would benefit from the double teams that TJD and Race draw aren’t getting that advantage (mainly Scoop and Leal). I’d also think that RP would benefit from high percentage shooters being on the floor (Kopp and Stewart). I hope that Woody tightens up and actually rotates the rotations come B1G play. 

Yes, I think that is the one thing I would like to see Woodson change up.  Geronimo and Durr would benefit having Race or TJD (respectively) out on the court with them as well IMO.  I think we are going to have to look at that type of thing when we play Purdue for instance.  I know they do the mass subs to try and get guys time on the floor, but I think that guys would have more productive time if we were doing more "normal" substitution patterns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Was late watching the game and utilized the fast forward a lot. 

So, was it just me, or did XJ and RP spend a lot more time on the floor together? It’d be interesting to see a +/- stat on the lineups when they appeared on the floor together. 

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I feel like RP is about to break out as a shooter. 

We know he can shoot, but in the last game he really looked confident stepping into some threes. If he starts confidently taking open shots (which will lead to hitting them), that would be a major plus. We know his D is good, if he becomes a plus on offense...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, rico said:

If Rob could knock down those mid range jumpers on a consistent basis he would increase our team's arsenal exponentially.

I feel like he's very close to breaking out a bit with his shooting, which could really open things up for him. Those mid range J's looked like they were both going down, but they just rimmed out, and he was able to knock down a 3, too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I feel like RP is about to break out as a shooter. 

We know he can shoot, but in the last game he really looked confident stepping into some threes. If he starts confidently taking open shots (which will lead to hitting them), that would be a major plus. We know his D is good, if he becomes a plus on offense...

Rob is a mystery. He's shown glimpses of a lot: shooting, defense, driving, leadership, etc., but needs to put it all together and do it somewhat consistently. 

In relation to what I wrote above about substitutions, I think if Rob sees some time on the floor with Kopp and Stewart, that may also allow him to attack the basket more. 

I do hope, more than anybody on this team, that he can put it together. I really like this kid and want to see him succeed. That said, I'm not going to hold my breath after 3.5 years of hoping he's going to break through.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Rob is a mystery. He's shown glimpses of a lot: shooting, defense, driving, leadership, etc., but needs to put it all together and do it somewhat consistently. 

In relation to what I wrote above about substitutions, I think if Rob sees some time on the floor with Kopp and Stewart, that may also allow him to attack the basket more. 

I do hope, more than anybody on this team, that he can put it together. I really like this kid and want to see him succeed. That said, I'm not going to hold my breath after 3.5 years of hoping he's going to break through.

Not basted on ability or anything but in the regard that you speak of he reminds me of Charlie Miller. You see glimpses of greatness but so many more times of he can't get out of his own way. Frustrating for us fans but has to be so much for so for him. He knows what he is capable of. Hoping like crazy he finds it with consistency

• Like 1

Very entertaining and informative session with Don Fischer and Charlie Miller on ISB today...

Highlights were Miller talking about getting Parker Stewart more shots by putting him on Tracye's side and away from the point side to combat the double team...Both he and Fisch said there was something wrong with XJ taking 9 3s and P-Stew only getting 4...

Also, Fischer said he interviewed Khristian Lander on his pre game and he thought it might not be a good interview because of KL not getting playing time...Said it was a GREAT interview, and that KL said he loved playing for Woody and that Woody was teaching him what he needs to do to get on the floor AND to progress in his basketball career...

It's live but you can rewind back to the parts I'm talking about...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Also, Fischer said he interviewed Khristian Lander on his pre game and he thought it might not be a good interview because of KL: not getting playing time...Said it was a GREAT interview, and that KL said he loved playing for Woody and that Woody was teaching him what he needs to do to get on the floor AND to progress in his basketball career...

Beginning to wonder if KL is the odd man out....

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Beginning to wonder if KL is the odd man out....

This year? Maybe...But a lot of season to play and between injuries/foul trouble/unforeseen things, his time might come...

I think next year he becomes a much bigger piece...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This year? Maybe...But a lot of season to play and between injuries/foul trouble/unforeseen things, his time might come...

I think next year he becomes a much bigger piece...

If he is honest with himself, he knows what he needs to do and he will a have a great opportunity in future years.  He can see the film of guys taking him off the bounce.  He's got to earn it, and I think he will in time.   He probably understands all of that.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4