Future schedule addition

10 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

IU announced today that we will do a home and home with Virginia in 2027 and 2028.  The first game will be at Virginia.

Don't mind this...just don't want us ever scheduling a non P5 school on the road ever again. My guess is by the time 2027 rolls around....the Big 10 will have changed the imbalanced divisions so adding a tougher preseason opponent is fine. 

• Like 1

This decision seems like a good one to me. Takes away any criticism that we aren't scheduling a P5 team out of conference,  and it pits us against a program we can be competitive with. IIRC, we played Virginia several times within the last 10 years.

As far as the recruiting area comment. Virginia has historically had some excellent athletes, the Virginia Beach area specifically. All sports , but in regards to football, Bruce Smith, Michael Vick and Kam Chancellor are three prominent names from this area. Lots of talent in that part of the country.

• Like 4

I like it.  Quite frankly, I don't like the games against the Idaho's of the world.  This would be a game I actually would like to attend.  Kind of like the Cincinnati game was this year.  I have no desire to spend the time or money going to memorial Stadium to see us play the Idaho's of the world.  

• Like 4

I agree.  I like the game.  Get a game going as a good test for the conference.  Out of three pre-conference games, having one be a test is fine.  That's been pretty typical, like when we used to play Kentucky a lot.  As Steub mentioned, we have had some games with Virginia in recent years and it's a good match for both programs IMO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This decision seems like a good one to me. Takes away any criticism that we aren't scheduling a P5 team out of conference,  and it pits us against a program we can be competitive with. IIRC, we played Virginia several times within the last 10 years.

As far as the recruiting area comment. Virginia has historically had some excellent athletes, the Virginia Beach area specifically. All sports , but in regards to football, Bruce Smith, Michael Vick and Kam Chancellor are three prominent names from this area. Lots of talent in that part of the country.

The recruiting comment that was made, makes zero sense. Just something to complain about. 

If that was important at all, where we play in regards to who we recruit, we should play every home and home with FL teams. But, isn't the saying, "you're never going to please everyone?" 

Probably a game I'll buy tickets to and make a weekend trip out of. I'm sure there are some historical sites around I'd love to see. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, Penn State is a program that has historically recruited a lot in Virginia and gotten some really good players from there.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Didn't we have something like this before a few years ago with them? Them or NCST. Pretty sure we beat them then...so why are we scared of them now when the program is better? This is a good move imo. Matchup between middling programs in major conferences. Sounds like a chance for a quality win.

Good memory.  We played NC State when Philip Rivers was there.  I think it might have been the first game he started or close to it as I recall.  

NC State, Virginia, Mizzou, Kentucky...I think we played Oregon at one point....Playing one game against another P5 school has been the norm.

• Like 1

No offense to any of our fans...but people calling for an easier schedule imo should just go root for Indiana St or Ball St or something. This is major college football. I want to see compelling games against compelling teams. Record aside...sure I want to win etc etc but most importantly I want to watch us play exciting football. I don't understand this I'm SCARED of everybody. I'm scared of the B1GE and I'm scared to play Virginia.....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No offense to any of our fans...but people calling for an easier schedule imo should just go root for Indiana St or Ball St or something. This is major college football. I want to see compelling games against compelling teams. Record aside...sure I want to win etc etc but most importantly I want to watch us play exciting football. I don't understand this I'm SCARED of everybody. I'm scared of the B1GE and I'm scared to play Virginia.....

And, as has been pointed out in the recruiting threads, high level talent wants to play against high level opponents. Much more attractive to show them they have the opportunity to showcase their skills against comparable talent, not against blowout teams 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And, as has been pointed out in the recruiting threads, high level talent wants to play against high level opponents. Much more attractive to show them they have the opportunity to showcase their skills against comparable talent, not against blowout teams 

Talent wants to put together tape for pro scouts. Hard to put impressive tape going up against St Mary's of the Woods lol. Like you said...kid's want a chance to play in big games and against big competition....at least kids that I want to recruit. A lot want a chance to either play in front of family as well or want to go up against a local school that overlooked them too.

Edited by dgambill

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Some are concerned that we lessen our chances of getting a bowl opportunity.    

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Some are concerned that we lessen our chances of getting a bowl opportunity.    

What...a bowl game to play....gasp Virginia??!! This fascination with bowl games just doesn't register with me anymore. Bowl games were so 90's.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

What...a bowl game to play....gasp Virginia??!! This fascination with bowl games just doesn't register with me anymore. Bowl games were so 90's.

I couldn't agree more.  The CFP will surely expand while taking more of the traditional bowl games...and frankly, who cares about the Weedeater Cheezit.com Bowl brought to you by #whothehellknows.

• Haha 1