Future schedule addition

25 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I couldn't agree more.  The CFP will surely expand while taking more of the traditional bowl games...and frankly, who cares about the Weedeater Cheezit.com Bowl brought to you by #whothehellknows.

I guarantee the coaching staff and athletic department care. The players care. Despite the NFL guys bowing out, its still a cool experience to make a bowl game and experience everything that comes with it. 

Its also momentum for the program when a team can say they've made "x bowls in a row."  

• Like 1

IMO, the best part of playing in a bowl game is the extra practice time the team gets.

The worst part is the financial burden put on schools to ensure their ticket quotas are met. Depending on the game/location/date and time, I imagine there are quite a few schools who end up eating the costs because their fan base either doesn't or won't travel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I do. 

And that's fair..I know your position...but I think bowl games are slowly dying...and will eventually be gone as we all know it....wouldn't be surprised if we do conference affiliated games where the 5th place winner just plays each other from the PAC12 and B1G1 and they just end up doing a rotating home and home and the conferences and schools will keep the money and cut out everyone else etc. NBC/ESPN/CBS/FOX and school networks will just host the games and it will just end up being like any other week. I just don't see the bowl thing still going on in another 20 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IMO, the best part of playing in a bowl game is the extra practice time the team gets.

The worst part is the financial burden put on schools to ensure their ticket quotas are met. Depending on the game/location/date and time, I imagine there are quite a few schools who end up eating the costs because their fan base either doesn't or won't travel.

I live down here a couple hours from Tampa and looked into getting tickets for the bowl game last year...think the cheapest seats I could find were a couple hundred dollars plus parking etc. Tons of empty seats but I couldn't justify paying that over sitting at home relaxed eating my own food, watching on the big screen, and using my own clean bathroom.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And that's fair..I know your position...but I think bowl games are slowly dying...and will eventually be gone as we all know it....wouldn't be surprised if we do conference affiliated games where the 5th place winner just plays each other from the PAC12 and B1G1 and they just end up doing a rotating home and home and the conferences and schools will keep the money and cut out everyone else etc. NBC/ESPN/CBS/FOX and school networks will just host the games and it will just end up being like any other week. I just don't see the bowl thing still going on in another 20 years.

There should only be around 20 bowl games because the majority of them are not worth watching.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why would they change something that's working and working well? 

The average viewership for an NBA regular season game is less then the viewership for the Idaho Potato Bowl. Legitimately. 

Hard to say their should be "less bowls" 

The average bowl game has 5 million viewers. Even the crap bowls, basically, get a million viewers. What else is on Tues Dec 21st at 4pm? Lol 

A BOWL GAME!

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The average viewership for an NBA regular season game is less then the viewership for the Idaho Potato Bowl. Legitimately. 

Hard to say their should be "less bowls" 

The average bowl game has 5 million viewers. Even the crap bowls, basically, get a million viewers. What else is on Tues Dec 21st at 4pm? Lol 

A BOWL GAME!

Okay.  You win.  Bowls are vital to football fans and are an absolute blast.  😊  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why would they change something that's working and working well? 

I just think circumstances will change in the coming couple of decades.....more focus will shift to a new playoff format which will make the subsequent bowl games less and less significant. At least that is my guess....could very well be wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Okay.  You win.  Bowls are vital to football fans and are an absolute blast.  😊  

It's not a win. Man, I'm a teacher with a wife that works during the day.  I ran errands this morning, worked out... and have been BORED until that game came on. I truthfully respect everyone's opinion. I don't agree with them, but I legit just enjoy posting here. 

I'll always argue I'm right lol but this is enjoyable for me. 

Anyways.. have you been to a bowl game though? We went to Jacksonville and had a heckuva of a time. Hope you can go to an IU bowl for about 10 straight years! 

Go Hoosiers!

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I just think circumstances will change in the coming couple of decades.....more focus will shift to a new playoff format which will make the subsequent bowl games less and less significant. At least that is my guess....could very well be wrong.

The flip side of an expanded playoff format can be seen in basketball.  NCAA tournament, nit, CBI, etc.  Why do they keep adding preseason tourneys?  Its always about money.  https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2021/2/17/22287581/2021-22-mens-college-basketball-exempt-multi-team-events-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

I had no idea there were so many.  Who has heard of the lake erie challenge?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

The flip side of an expanded playoff format can be seen in basketball.  NCAA tournament, nit, CBI, etc.  Why do they keep adding preseason tourneys?  Its always about money.  https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2021/2/17/22287581/2021-22-mens-college-basketball-exempt-multi-team-events-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

I would interested in having a football NIT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

It's not a win. Man, I'm a teacher with a wife that works during the day.  I ran errands this morning, worked out... and have been BORED until that game came on. I truthfully respect everyone's opinion. I don't agree with them, but I legit just enjoy posting here. 

I'll always argue I'm right lol but this is enjoyable for me. 

Anyways.. have you been to a bowl game though? We went to Jacksonville and had a heckuva of a time. Hope you can go to an IU bowl for about 10 straight years! 

Go Hoosiers!

I went to the UT vs Tennessee taxslayer  bowl game when Dobbs and Hurd were there. And the next year against northwestern too. Easily the two most fun college games I’ve ever attended. Atmosphere with both team beings there was awesome. Jacksonville was like Knoxville south so it felt more like Neyland from that perspective. Didn’t go when iu played Tennessee because it was a lose lose with a family full of Tennessee fans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

To me most of these bowls are like the NIT and CBI tournaments which I don't watch unless my team is saying in it.