Future schedule addition

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me most of these bowls are like the NIT and CBI tournaments which I don't watch unless my team is saying in it.

Money.  Its really a one word answer.  

It doesn't matter if you or I tune in regularly.  If an average of 5 million viewers do they will keep getting sponsors, tv will keep putting them on, and marketers will continue to put commercials on them.  They are a marketing and economic tool.  They will not be going away anytime soon.  Therefore, group a few and make tournaments out of them to make them more entertaining and meaningful.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good memory.  We played NC State when Philip Rivers was there.  I think it might have been the first game he started or close to it as I recall.  

NC State, Virginia, Mizzou, Kentucky...I think we played Oregon at one point....Playing one game against another P5 school has been the norm.

I was at that NC State game with Rivers in Btown. We blew like a two touchdown lead as Rivers led the Wolfpack from behind to a win. I just remember him standing in the pocket taking a big-time hit and delivering the ball right on target. For a true freshman QB to play with such poise, that stuck in my mind for sure.

Following year we played at NC State with the short-lived experiment of Antwaan Randle-El  at WR and Tommy Jones at QB. Got whipped so badly. 9/11 happened, then we played Utah afterwards (at that game as well) and ARE was back at QB. Lost by 2 points I think? Ended up costing us a bowl berth. That 2001 team was exciting to watch and it was incredibly disappointing to see ARE leave without a bowl game. Closed out his career beating both Purdue and Kentucky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am not going out of my way to watch the game even if I am home.  I have no d sire to watch Toledo vs Wyoming or any other game like that.  I also think bowl games should be an award for a good season and don't think going 6-6 is a good season.

6-6 aint a good season?  I guess you need to research IU football history.

The thing about this whole discussion... when it's said "no one cares about these games" ... its an inaccurate statement. Sometimes by a lot. 

ESPN puts these games on their "marquee" channel, it's not like they're always on the deuce or whatever. 

The games yesterday, there was NOTHING on TV that compared to the viewership those two games garnered. 

Hell-- football is so popular they put the FCS playoffs on ESPN lol 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The thing about this whole discussion... when it's said "no one cares about these games" ... its an inaccurate statement. Sometimes by a lot. 

ESPN puts these games on their "marquee" channel, it's not like they're always on the deuce or whatever. 

The games yesterday, there was NOTHING on TV that compared to the viewership those two games garnered. 

You don't have to convince me.  You need to convince Scott.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why would you go to Ball State and play football, as a competitor, if they got rid of basically any bowl game you could qualify for? 

Scholarship? To play a game they love? As a competitor do you need a special reason to compete? Just name a time and place is typically enough. Does Ball St normally go to a bowl game? I know last year they had a successful season but it isn't a school you go to for bowl games or probably a selling point for coaches recruiting. Outside the P5 and some select G5 schools most kids are there for a scholarship and for the long shot to play and give themselves a shot to improve and get better and possible get a pro look. I do think it's used as a reward/trip to entice kids but I could be wrong as I was not a college football player but I'm not imaging bowls are high up the list of why kids play college football....a reason but not one of the major deciding ones. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Agree....cable tv etc ratings are so bad football does dominate. These bowl games will pull plenty enough viewers to make them worthwhile. I just think in the coming decades it will go to more a playoff format and expand that enough and changes in the NCAA and major universities that bowls will become extent and replaced with something else.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Scholarship? To play a game they love? As a competitor do you need a special reason to compete? Just name a time and place is typically enough. Does Ball St normally go to a bowl game? I know last year they had a successful season but it isn't a school you go to for bowl games or probably a selling point for coaches recruiting. Outside the P5 and some select G5 schools most kids are there for a scholarship and for the long shot to play and give themselves a shot to improve and get better and possible get a pro look. I do think it's used as a reward/trip to entice kids but I could be wrong as I was not a college football player but I'm not imaging bowls are high up the list of why kids play college football....a reason but not one of the major deciding ones. 

What are you competing for with no bowl, at the small schools? I'm talking about competition. Nothing else. 

Conference championship? Yeah, I'd want one of those. I would venture to guess the bowl game is a BIG deal for Ball St, SDSU, Jackson St, etc. Big deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What are you competing for with no bowl, at the small schools? I'm talking about competition. Nothing else. 

Conference championship? Yeah, I'd want one of those. I would venture to guess the bowl game is a BIG deal for Ball St, SDSU, Jackson St, etc. Big deal. 

Oh...sure big deal. You compete to compete and I'd imagine to win your conference. But I'd think those kids are just trying to get an education paid for at the same time play a game they love. If the bowl was off the table...those kids would still be there. No doubt WITH the bowl...it's a nice reward for the hard work!

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why would you go to Ball State and play football, as a competitor, if they got rid of basically any bowl game you could qualify for? 

The playoff should be expanded to include every conference champion.  Then Ball State would definitely have something to play for.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Oh...sure big deal. You compete to compete and I'd imagine to win your conference. But I'd think those kids are just trying to get an education paid for at the same time play a game they love. If the bowl was off the table...those kids would still be there. No doubt WITH the bowl...it's a nice reward for the hard work!

Those schools fielded teams in the era where there were just a handful of bowl games. I doubt it doesn't make a huge deal if there were less bowl games.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Those schools fielded teams in the era where there were just a handful of bowl games. I doubt it doesn't make a huge deal if there were less bowl games.

I'm not concerned about it. More power to the kids....but yes...many kids know when the got to a majority of programs that will never play in a bowl game. Maybe it's a selling point at some of the elite programs....but the majority it's about playing the game they love and competition and getting college paid for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

It is really nice to have games on during the day.  It’s also fun to have a chance to see teams play that usually don’t get a spotlight. Being a featured game on ESPN is a highlight for the players at small schools that the bowl games provide.  At the end of the day can there really be too much football?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

It is really nice to have games on during the day.  It’s also fun to have a chance to see teams play that usually don’t get a spotlight. Being a featured game on ESPN is a highlight for the players at small schools that the bowl games provide.  At the end of the day can there really be too much football?

Actually for me I think there is to much saturation in sports today.  Getting to watch games use to be more of. Privilege so it meant more to you.  Today the games just don't have that same excitement when there are games on every day and at about anytime.  

2 hours ago, IUJoe said:

The playoff should be expanded to include every conference champion.  Then Ball State would definitely have something to play for.

They do that in the lower divisions and it works really well.  It won’t happen in the near future but would be ironic if it went that route with Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC.  Seeing Texas Tech or Oklahoma St make the playoff while getting beat up by Alabama every year would be killer for their fans.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

100% how I see it

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually for me I think there is to much saturation in sports today.  Getting to watch games use to be more of. Privilege so it meant more to you.  Today the games just don't have that same excitement when there are games on every day and at about anytime.  

I truthfully have no words.

So, we should do what? Televise less games? 

So, because, I've grown up my entire life, essentially, with the ability to watch any game I wanted, at anytime.. watching a game means less to me!? 🤔

But, to answer his question, no there can never be too much football. Or basketball, or baseball. 

There is 162 games of baseball on a year for one team and we are worrying about a 13th  game for Univ of Texas San Antonio. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So, because, I've grown up my entire life, essentially, with the ability to watch any game I wanted, at anytime.. watching a game means less to me!? 🤔

But, to answer his question, no there can never be too much football. Or basketball, or baseball. 

There is 162 games of baseball on a year for one team and we are worrying about a 13th bowl game for Univ of Texas San Antonio. 

I think I land somewhere in between all this. Personally I don't mind all the games....I'm happy for those fans and those kids to play and watch. It doesn't affect me so why would I care. I just don't watch but a few games...and those are going to be teams I have a vested interest in watching or the CFP etc. So I don't agree with Scott totally I see where he is coming from. I think a lot of this comes down to just how much of a sports nut you are....how old you are....and how many other hobbies/kids etc other things you have going on in your life. I would reckon btown you are probably in the top 1% of sports fans....one that travels to games etc. I'd also say but most definitely correct me if I'm wrong you are probably on the younger side and might not have the family obligations....and if I'm wrong then you are probably in the .5% of sports fans. I personally don't have the time nor can justify the money spent going or sitting watching a majority of games anymore. Between spending time with my little girl, doing things with my wife, and at this point spending time with extended family on both sides I haven't turned on a tv in days. Catch a bit on my phone but no way do I have or prioritize time to watch Montana St vs N Dakota St or whatever. Now I do try to set time aside for the Colts game and IU. That's it. So I get it on both sides. Nobody's opinion is going to trump the others....and you both can be equally correct. I used to be you btown....spending money and going to IU, Colts, Pacer games...maybe not traveling city to city but going to the games and buying Sunday Ticket and NBA League Pass etc etc...but that all changed and now all that money goes into my daughters college fund, wedding fund, and to hopefully help her with a down payment on a house fund lol. Also, I'd say Scott your a little jaded then most....and holding on to yester year a little too tightly. Lighten up...maybe if you get a chance...tune into the Peach Bowl or something and enjoy a few minutes. You might not care but who knows...the Colts next WR might be playing who knows!

Edited by dgambill

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is 162 games of baseball on a year for one team and we are worrying about a 13th bowl game for Univ of Texas San Antonio. 

I knew you wouldn't understand where I was coming from from this.  When I first got cable it was great having a lot more to choose from but after awhile there is way to many games on if you ask me.  I always liked championship week because it was the first time those mid majors were on but now they show a lot their games ad well.  I love watching sports and don't mind the volume but it had taken some of the luster off for me.

• Like 1

I will watch maybe 3-4 bowl games. The 2 semifinals, the Rose Bowl and maybe an earlier New Year’s Day game depending on who is playing. Besides IU, I have minimal interest in college football due the top heavy nature of the playoffs year in year out. Too many other things to do, especially at holiday time, and if I am going to devote time to watching football this time of year I’ll watch the NFL where the games are meaningful 

• Like 3