Bowl Games

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Used to be you watched multiple bowl games because the top 3-4 teams didn't play one another for a championship. It was like an eye test for the NC and depending on how each team took care of business decided who the NC would be. Also, lets be honest...if you lived in B1G country the SEC, ACC, PAC12, BIG12 was rarely on tv....maybe a big rivalry game or just a major matchup so it was your one time a year to see them and measure them....now with games on all over all available with these network agreements there is no mystery....you've seen them all year...and you already know how bad or good they are and no reason to tune in...imo.

I enjoyed the 3-5 bowl games that meant something in the quest for a mythical championship.  I would be happier if the CFP expanded.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tip of the cap to Mike Leach last night. 16+ players out including several starters because of Covid and opt outs and he still played the game. Seems like several coaches would have said let's just go home.

I don't think he was going to forfeit the game after his speech.....nor the chance to get back at Texas Tech...but yes...credit to the kids and him for going out and taking one on the chin.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

I dont get this list. This is a ranking of the top 50 NFL players, excluding people who opted to sit for their bowl game? in order? Gronk is ranked higher than Aaron Rodgers? This list is rubbish. Diggs is ahead of Hopkins and Devonte?

Without going one by one, half these players were in the NFL when the sitting out took off.

29 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I dont get this list. This is a ranking of the top 50 NFL players, excluding people who opted to sit for their bowl game? in order? Gronk is ranked higher than Aaron Rodgers? This list is rubbish. Diggs is ahead of Hopkins and Devonte?

Without going one by one, half these players were in the NFL when the sitting out took off.

Not sure either....Tim Timbow and Brady Quinn is even on there.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

It's just a list of dudes who aren't soft and stuck to the commitment they made to their teammates. Simple list. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's just a list of dudes who aren't soft and stuck to the commitment they made to their teammates. Simple list. 

This is not a good list or ranking. Again half of these people listed arent even a part of the, let's call it, sit out of the bowl game era.

How many of these players were projected first round before the bowl game? top 15? How many players were projected in the first round and still played? 

Not arguing with you, just would be interesting to see the comparison.

I know you're strongly opinionated on this topic, but to call these kids soft is a bit obtuse.

Edited by ledies22

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

This is not a good list or ranking. Again half of these people listed arent even a part of the, let's call it, sit out of the bowl game era.

How many of these players were projected first round before the bowl game? top 15? How many players were projected in the first round a still played? 

Not arguing with you, just would be interesting to see the comparison.

I know you're strongly opinionated on this topic, but to call these kids soft is a bit obtuse.

Dude it's just a list of guys that played in the bowl game and were just fine. Why are you reading so much into it? Just a list. Like a grocery list.  

Irrelevant of when their bowl game was, they played. Obtuse or not really doesn't matter to me on a message board. I don't have a strong opinion, I just have a opinion. I saw the list, thought it was funny.. so I posted it. 

Edited by btownqb

Well you see....

This "list" is trash. see my list below why i think so.

A) It is a numbered list and the numbers column has a headline of "Rank".

ii) the ranking sucks. Tim Tebow listed as 40 and Brady Quinn at 43 👀

3) half of the guys on this list were in college when opting out of the bowl game wasnt even a thing.

IV) when making a list it is nice to have relevant information that is somewhat comparative. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Well you see....

This "list" is trash. see my list below why i think so.

A) It is a numbered list and the numbers column has a headline of "Rank".

ii) the ranking sucks. Tim Tebow listed as 40 and Brady Quinn at 43 👀

3) half of the guys on this list were in college when opting out of the bowl game wasnt even a thing.

IV) when making a list it is nice to have relevant information that is somewhat comparative. 

Ok. Again.. just a list. No biggie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

bait.jpg

I wanted to not say anything....but couldn't help myself lol.

So Joey Bosa is tough...but Nick Bosa is soft...got it.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Multiple good games on today. Oregon and Oklahoma both in the same boat. I love Stoops and Matt Campbell and Dabo. So many good coaches today. 

Maryland just returned a punt for a TD. 

I'm curious about that Iowa St/Clemson matchup. Clemson obviously doesn't have Watson or Lawrence at the lead so a bit of a step back for them....and it seems like Iowa St always loses bowl games. 

Maryland putting a hurting on VT. 21-3 w/4 mins to go in the first. 

Btw... I perfectly understand some of you being bored with bowl games. No question I understand that. There's just no real argument to be made that there should be less of them. People make money, more kids experience a bowl, etc. 

I dont even watch half the bowls, but, some of the reason I do is to learn. There are so many gadget plays/trick plays/unbalanced formations offensive staffs come up during their 4-6 week lay off, I love it. I learn a lot during these games, so that would be the added interest for me. 

We run a very unique offense, so not everything I get from these games is applicable, but there's so much I can learn to teach the boys in these games, if that makes sense.  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maryland putting a hurting on VT. 21-3 w/4 mins to go in the first. 

Btw... I perfectly understand some of you being bored with bowl games. No question I understand that. There's just no real argument to be made that there should be less of them. People make money, more kids experience a bowl, etc. 

I dont even watch half the bowls, but, some of the reason I do is to learn. There are so many gadget plays/trick plays/unbalanced formations offensive staffs come up during their 4-6 week lay off, I love it. I learn a lot during these games, so that would be the added interest for me. 

We run a very unique offense, so not everything I get from these games is applicable, but there's so much I can learn to teach the boys in these games, if that makes sense.  

That's actually a pretty cool perspective on learning plays, formations, or concepts.  I literally just talked with a high school OC about this two minutes ago. He said it's things they discuss and play with in the spring. Not much transfers, but it sometimes sparks creativity. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

That's actually a pretty cool perspective on learning plays, formations, or concepts.  I literally just talked with a high school OC about this two minutes ago. He said it's things they discuss and play with in the spring. Not much transfers, but it sometimes sparks creativity. 

Good coaching is simply taking what other people do well, and make it your own. You rarely need to be the first to come up with an idea. 

Play action ideas are some concepts I pay extra attention to. We are run heavy (an understatement), but we will absolutely go PA and over the top of you. Finding new ways to do that is fun. 

For reference, in one game this season we ran for 332 and threw for 130. Those 130 yards passing came on 3 completions and 4 attempts lol 

Run, run, run, run, run, run, run, and PA over the top. 

I'm also intrigued by all the new QB running packages people come up with. Our Q this past season had 1200 yards rushing in 11 games(sat out one with a banged up knee) and 22 TDs rushing. Our QB running, essentially, takes the place of a short passing game. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good coaching is simply taking what other people do well, and make it your own. You rarely need to be the first to come up with an idea. 

Play action ideas are some concepts I pay extra attention to. We are run heavy (an understatement), but we will absolutely go PA and over the top of you. Finding new ways to do that is fun. 

For reference, in one game this season we ran for 332 and threw for 130. Those 130 yards passing came on 3 completions and 4 attempts lol 

Run, run, run, run, run, run, run, and PA over the top. 

I'm also intrigued by all the new QB running packages people come up with. Our Q this past season had 1200 yards rushing in 11 games(sat out one with a banged up knee) and 22 TDs rushing. Our QB running, essentially, takes the place of a short passing game. 

Very cool.  As a former qb that ran mostly I-formation, I love play action.  I talked my coach into letting us run the run-n-shoot one game, and instead of passing for a ton of yards like I thought, he kept running qb draws that were wide open.  Probably had double the yards rushing as passing. You take what the defense gives you. 

Love your passing efficiency,  btw.  Very impressive numbers.

• Like 2