Bowl Games

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If you have a defensive front and athletes like Georgia has of course QB doesn't have to be great...but there is literally one team in the country that can beat Alabama with THAT kid at QB. You need someone that can make some big timely throws and make plays if you want to win at the highest level. If you are literally any other school beside Alabama in the past with those dominant OL/DL and RBs or Georgia and their defensive front 7 then of course you can win with a game manager but more often than not if you want to win a NC....you need something special behind center....a Watson, a Lawrence, a Tebow, a Burrow, a Vince Young. QB is still the most important position to get right if you want to win it all. Your margin for error is so small with a game manager. It's why there are only a small small handful of teams that can beat Bama or Clemson or OSU at their peak because more likely than not you aren't going to just dominate them in the trenches and have enough talent to beat those teams across the board...but if you have a special talent at QB...it can cover up a whole lot of limitations on your team. I think I understand what you mean...that in some matchups QB comparison is overrated but there are just so so few teams that can compete at the highest level without high level qb play. Most teams just can't hold down an offense like Alabama etc and hold up for that long and not wear down to give you a chance to win the long game like Georgia did last night. Very hard to build up and win across the board at each position group over a program like Alabama so that you can get away with avg QB play. Most teams would have broke after that many long long drives and given up TDs and forced their game manager qb to make plays for 4 quarters instead of just have to have a couple drives.

All that said...heck that kid while not having a special arm talent etc just had the heart of a champion...and that counts for a lot too. He was fearless and was able to overcome his limitations and mistakes. To literally forget the biggest turnover of the game and two minutes later deliver that drive...kid had some cajones for sure. I mean I don't know anyone that expected him to deliver that drive after that moment. Georgia was a team that just played from ahead all year and you wondered if they had a qb that could deliver them from behind. Georgia was fortunate to have kept that game close enough to get those big chunk plays towards the end. Alabama's offense really became pedestrian when their best receivers left the game...because there is no doubt if you blitz over and over you were going to open yourself up to big plays the other way...like the first go round in the SEC Championship.. but last night...Alabama didn't have the horses to test them deep...to score TDs instead of FGs. It was impressive the depth and talent Georgia had built up that was able to stay on the field for that long against Alabama and hold up...but I just don't know if that is a recipe you can count on that really any other team can amass that much talent to say they've out recruited Alabama in the trenches. If you can build a really solid team AND you have a special talent behind center....you have a shot any game any night. However, if you are able to build a team like Georgia had...no doubt you can win with a game manager most games...but that kid while having the skill set and arm of a game manager....had the heart of a champ...because when they fell behind and the moment got big....he got BIGGER...and that is underrated among game managers Qbs.

I understand all that. Kirby built the team to NOT need an elite QB. You've mentioned all these QBs, but what you haven't said how good the talent was around those dudes. Those Clemson teams were LOADED, LSU offense from two years ago might be the best college offense ever, Florida teams the same thing. It was stupid Bennett was the offensive MVP last night, that's what I'm saying. He wasn't the most valuable player on their offense, he never is. That's not his fault. I just get tired of listening about QB play. 

He didn't "get bigger" he made one or two solid plays to HELP his team win the game. Everyone is constantly searching for a story, or an OMG moment. He threw a jump in the endzone (free play as Bama jumped offsides) and Mitchell won, then he made a very solid read on a RPO to get the ball to the best TE in the country. The ball traveled 7 yards in the air. Incredible play design and execution. 

Again, once UGA was able to run it in the fourth Q, the game was over.....plus Bama still had to pass and UGA's DL got to go to work. All those clips of #31 from Bama, early coming off the edge and rushing the passer, were cute. In the 4th, got man handled. UGA ran for 142 yards in the 2nd half and got a pick 6. 

You say "slim chance" to beat them with a game manager, I don't disagree, but you have a slim chance of beating Bama to begin with. I'd take the whole roster and figure the rest out at QB. Again, he was given too much praise when they won, and too much hate when they lost. The SEC championship game in no way shape or form was "his fault", but he didn't win them that game last night. 

I think the top defense in the country plus a top 5 running game is what will give you a shot every night. 

2001 Canes roster had 38 players who were drafted by the NFL. How many do we think were on the field or bench last night? 50? So much talent out there especially on defense. If I'm a NFL GM I just focus on these two teams for my draft this year! Haha...

Hats off to Indy....phenomenal job in hosting. Spent some time down there yesterday and asked a buddy who owns a bar/restaurant how things were going. He said he's made more $ in last 4 days than previous 30 and that's just one little place.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

2001 Canes roster had 38 players who were drafted by the NFL. How many do we think were on the field or bench last night? 50? So much talent out there especially on defense. If I'm a NFL GM I just focus on these two teams for my draft this year! Haha...

Hats off to Indy....phenomenal job in hosting. Spent some time down there yesterday and asked a buddy who owns a bar/restaurant how things were going. He said he's made more $ in last 4 days than previous 30 and that's just one little place.

Oh Indy made silly money last night lol SILLY

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh Indy made silly money last night lol SILLY

Funny thing that I don't think most know. The CFP committee asked Indy to present offer to host. Indy didn't ask them first.

Either way great bowl season and sadly college football is down for 8-9 months. Somewhere today about 2 dozen recruits will be getting calls from Kirby I bet after his press obligations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny thing that I don't think most know. The CFP committee asked Indy to present offer to host. Indy didn't ask them first.

Either way great bowl season and sadly college football is down for 8-9 months. Somewhere today about 2 dozen recruits will be getting calls from Kirby I bet after his press obligations. 

Yes, 100% the committee asked for that. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

He was given too much praise when they won, and given too much of the flack when they lost. He was just a guy on their team. Georgia just needed to survive in that game, so they could still run it in the 4th Q. 

Stetson could not put an entire game full of plays to beat Bama, together. I believe, he showed he can give you one or two REALLY good drives though, and then the defense and running game go win the game. Georgia's athletes are brilliant and dear god their front 7 and then their DBs are no slouch. 

I've mentioned I feel QB is, at least, a little overrated. Just my thoughts. 

QB may be overrated, or over credited, but Bennet showed when you have a defense and run game you need a QB that doesn't make mistakes and doesn't make negative plays.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

QB may be overrated, or over credited, but Bennet showed when you have a defense and run game you need a QB that doesn't make mistakes and doesn't make negative plays.

I just think in college football...its easier to find a stud qb then it is to build out a whole roster of some 100 kids as deep as Alabama and Georgia have. For most programs the best chance for them to win it all and beat Alabama and Georgia is yes you will still need a lot of talent...but you aren't going to dominate them at the LOS and hold up on the back end or be able to just run it down their throat....you are going to more likely have to find a dynamic qb and play makers on the outside and have good play everywhere else. While Alabama and Georgia and a few others can live with just good game managers...the rest of college football if they want to beat them because of such an imbalance in talent across the board....has to have top end talent at the most important position on the field to overcome it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He did some of both, though. 

Agree to disagree. There's a difference in the defense making a play and the quarterback screwing up. 

Bennett's fumble was about the defense making a play. The sacks he took were about the defense making plays.

Compare that to Wentz, and it was a lot of Wentz making awful mistakes (the pick and the fumble were both about Wentz being stupid), numerous sacks where he could have thrown it away and tried to do too much. Those were all themes all year with Wentz. 

If Wentz was willing to just live to play another down the way Bennett was, the Colts very well may be looking at a home playoff game this weekend instead of sitting at home. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree to disagree. There's a difference in the defense making a play and the quarterback screwing up. 

Bennett's fumble was about the defense making a play. The sacks he took were about the defense making plays.

Compare that to Wentz, and it was a lot of Wentz making awful mistakes (the pick and the fumble were both about Wentz being stupid), numerous sacks where he could have thrown it away and tried to do too much. Those were all themes all year with Wentz. 

If Wentz was willing to just live to play another down the way Bennett was, the Colts very well may be looking at a home playoff game this weekend instead of sitting at home. 

I'm not talking about Wentz. I never was in this thread. But, 2nd lower INT rate in the NFL doesn't scream "turnover prone."

The sack fumble could have easily been prevented by Stetson. I love the dude, love him. I've mentioned how good his legs are and some don't realize it or expect it. 

If Stetson was asked to go win a 4Q game against Bama, like he was in the conference championship, the result would have been the same. He was asked to throw it 48 times in the conference champ compared to 26 times in the title game. 

Edited by btownqb

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe because Bama is so spoiled or maybe because Georgia hasn't been on that stage in 4 decades but downtown was all Georgia for the times I was there.

Can't believe someone would call the cops. Just having fun

Possibly the restaurant hired this officer for the weekend knowing there would be large crowds from out of town.  Nothing more than a security officer just like at the stadium.  Isn't that likely for a high end place like St. Elmo's?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe because Bama is so spoiled or maybe because Georgia hasn't been on that stage in 4 decades but downtown was all Georgia for the times I was there.

Can't believe someone would call the cops. Just having fun!

Didn't Kirby say "there's gunna be some property damage in Indy, tonight" 

hahah I loved it!! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Possibly the restaurant hired this officer for the weekend knowing there would be large crowds from out of town.  Nothing more than a security officer just like at the stadium.  Isn't that likely for a high end place like St. Elmo's?

Could be. I've been there a few dozen times in my life and haven't ever seen a cop/security guy but maybe for big events they do. I know they didn't for Super Bowl. Wife and I got there early, sat at the bar and it was a parade of who's who of the world. Head was on a swivel the entire night. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm kinda jealous. I want to try some St Elmos. But $$$$!

I can't imagine what the prices are now. Been a few times over the years but was always worth it. Me and my wife might not take tons of trips and do lots of expensive traveling but when we go somewhere...we always eat at the best places. Something that EVERYONE can relate to when you have a story to share. I've never seen security there...although never been downtown Indy at one of these events though....so could see passing patrolmen keeping tabs for crazy college kids that might get a little roWdy after a NC.