Northern Kentucky Post Game Thread

KDB

11 hours ago, cthomas said:

In his post game interview, Coach Woodson mentioned that very thing. Getting Durr and Geronimo to play better together is definitely on his mind.

I trust CMW…but I’m curious to see if he actually plays them together much. They were lost yesterday and Geronimo seems to be lost on the floor more often then not….He reminds me of Hanner.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Rob seems to play much more aggressive and better against lesser foes. Like he KNEW he could take his man tonight and finish. It just raised his confidence and in a game where we were in control he seemed to play free. Wish we'd get that same Rob in tighter/tougher games. It's like he has the schedule in his locker and knows which teams he is going to play differently against.

Jordan Jordan Jordan. Love his talent and athleticism and his heart. Will definitely develop into a fine player for us.....but his decision making is attrocious. Worst passer on the team and trying to dribble in traffic. Then he will show beautiful touch on a 3 or go up high to grab a rebound....or honestly Rob should have pitched it back for a monster jam on that fast break....like that stuff you salivate over with him. Still young so have to live with it.

Leal...getting better for sure. Would like to see him be aggressive to get past hard close outs and develop a little jumper. Defense is improving and he isn't a liability. If Galloway doesn't regress it deepens our bench when he comes back.

Bigs dominated...as they should against a small team. Like when they share and look for each other.

XJ...mostly pretty good from him. Obviously the most athletic guard on the court last night...could do what he wanted...but mostly stayed under control.

Lander.....not sure he is worth much of a mention. He is basically out of the rotation and I don't see him getting back into it given he can't even keep N Kentucky unathletic guards in front of him or defend them. Hope he keeps working and wants to stay and get better. He needs A LOT of work. Has the athleticism and court vision to be special...but doesn't have the focus and drive to narrow in on what is in front of him to defend. All talk on why he isn't playing ahead of Rob now seems foolish and should be put to bed. It's frustrating because I think we all see the potential in him...but only he will be able to do the work and put in the effort to get there. Hope it happens at IU and not somewhere else...but if it does...well that's on him.

Duncomb has a nice touch on his shot....think he is going to be a nice PF for us in the future! Maybe Kirk Haston like?? Would be nice to pair with a more athletic/shot blocking and low post presence in the future.

Does anyone know if Durr can dunk? Has it been confirmed....love the effort...good kid...wow wish he has an ounce of athleticism lol.

Well said, and pretty much agreed on all points. With respect to KL, I don't think I wanted him to play in front of Rob, but I wanted to see him get a few minutes, and I'm definitely understanding now why he hasn't. Both he and Jordan clearly have skills, but they're just very, very raw, and in KL's case, he really needs to put on some weight or something to be able to compete in a P5 conference. It's a roller coaster of emotions watching those two on the court.

Really good to see Rob getting some confidence and taking it strong to the bucket, but agreed that he needs to do that in the bigger games. We'll see if this continues on in conference play, because we need it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well said, and pretty much agreed on all points. With respect to KL, I don't think I wanted him to play in front of Rob, but I wanted to see him get a few minutes, and I'm definitely understanding now why he hasn't. Both he and Jordan clearly have skills, but they're just very, very raw, and in KL's case, he really needs to put on some weight or something to be able to compete in a P5 conference. It's a roller coaster of emotions watching those two on the court.

Really good to see Rob getting some confidence and taking it strong to the bucket, but agreed that he needs to do that in the bigger games. We'll see if this continues on in conference play, because we need it.

I thought Lander looked bigger this year. Almost taller and filling out some. His issues have been he just doesn't anticipate on defense or beat his man to the spot. Everyone knows what sets the other team is running...knows when a screen is coming and where his man wants to go. Either he is slow to react because he is lackadaisical or he doesn't fight through and over very well...but then he gets in bad position and ends up reaching or trying to contest shots that honestly it's just dumb plays. If he focused harder and worked harder at that end of the floor I think he would be fine.

I know that was an easy game but happy to see we played well as a result of everyone knowing their roles and going out there and playing within themselves. 

still hoping to see a bit more out of our bench, especially from Durr and JG. 

Happy to see Rob string together a couple of solid games and get his confidence up. Hopefully he can continue to build off this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I thought Lander looked bigger this year. Almost taller and filling out some. His issues have been he just doesn't anticipate on defense or beat his man to the spot. Everyone knows what sets the other team is running...knows when a screen is coming and where his man wants to go. Either he is slow to react because he is lackadaisical or he doesn't fight through and over very well...but then he gets in bad position and ends up reaching or trying to contest shots that honestly it's just dumb plays. If he focused harder and worked harder at that end of the floor I think he would be fine.

There was an interesting comparison to Cassius Winston on another thread (or maybe this one?), so I guess his size isn't that much of an issue if he can figure out how to play defense. 

• Like 1

Still think CMW is trying to build these kids up. KL and JG will make the team better if they continue to work. KL has quickness and speed you can't teach. Just needs to develop his game and he's still young. Big picture IU needs to stick with him. JG is an undeniable athlete but I wish he had a set role. Convince him to he a reliable defender, willing rebounder, and get his points on putbacks. Let his offence develop.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Still think CMW is trying to build these kids up. KL and JG will make the team better if they continue to work. KL has quickness and speed you can't teach. Just needs to develop his game and he's still young. Big picture IU needs to stick with him. JG is an undeniable athlete but I wish he had a set role. Convince him to he a reliable defender, willing rebounder, and get his points on putbacks. Let his offence develop.

He has a nice jumper honestly...he just can't put the ball on the floor or pass...and is a liability at the free throw line. Very raw talent...but man he has an NBA body lol. Guy is a freak of nature.