UNC Asheville Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, December 29th 7 PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

The UNC Asheville Bulldogs are 8-5 this year...Here are there results so far...

image.png.e1d6f1a1c94e0e82337f315e6d7da557.png

Head Coach Mike Morell (4th season at UNCA 37-58 0verall) is coming of a 10-10 (9-5, 4th in Big South) campaign last year. The Bulldogs are picked 3rd in the Big South Conference this year...

image.png.96f969ede2920dcba8b236ccacbaa753.png

Better size than Northern Kentucky, but we should still rule on the inside. 

image.png.9e0c5080d508ae2cac0349f0ce741ff9.png

No real standout scorer. Very balanced, and so far 32nd in the country in offensive rating (albeit against questionable competition)

Highlights of their game with North Carolina...

Another one where we shouldn't be seriously challenged...

I don't know about y'all, but I'm ready for Big 10 Conference play :) 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It would do my heart good if we could put 40 good minutes together right before heading into full time B1G play.  However, I’m expecting a sluggish start after Christmas break and that we pull away as the game goes on. 

Same here...I'd like to see a stong 40 minute effort with only a small let down from the bench...

Seems every player except Race and Trayce we see the potential in glimpses...

I've kinda come to the conclusion though, that most of our wins in the Big 10 are going to have to be slug it out, defensive games...

Can't wait to visit Happy Valley on 1/2/22 to see...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They averaged over 100 points against the trio of Brevard, St. Andrews, and Milligan.  

What does that mean?  I'm assuming it means that their Athletic Director's rolodex does not have a full compliment of other potential D1 opponents.

Couple games against middling OVC teams that they split...not too impressive so far. North Carolina has a ton of size and athleticism...so I can see why that wasn't a good matchup. We don't have nearly that much....but well more then anyone else on their schedule. Should be another 20pt win...just a matter of how we come out. If we get off to a good start then I don't see much issue. If we come out sluggish and let them stay in it...well we may have to work in the second half to ice it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Game has been officially canceled, UNC Asheville is having an Covid Outbreak 

Too bad...I was listening to Coyle interviewing Don Fischer, and Fisch thought UNC Ashville would be a good tune-up for the Big 10 season...Said they were experienced and would have given us a fairly good game...Ah well, hopefully on to Penn State...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I wonder if they will even consider trying to find a replacement team.  UK was able to line up WKU last week after UL cancelled.  No reason why we can't find a team from Indiana or one of the bordering states to come in as a replacement.  

I was wondering the same thing, but the way the official release read it seems like they have already moved on to Penn State. 

If they are willing to throw money at another cupcake i'm sure it could happen but not sure why they would want another cupcake. It would only make sense if they could line up a decent team. Otherwise, move on.

This season may come down to how many programs can end with a set number of games played to determine a tournament field. But I wouldn't count on the B1G or NCAA to see the season through. They likely bow to the politics in spite of vaccines, endless boosters, and whatever hoops the "science" can come up with to jump through.

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I wonder if they will even consider trying to find a replacement team.  UK was able to line up WKU last week after UL cancelled.  No reason why we can't find a team from Indiana or one of the bordering states to come in as a replacement.  

That had more than just a replacement game going on for it.....with all the storm relief etc...it was as much humanitarian as just getting another win for UK.

3 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

Is this the team that always looks like the cast of the Princess Bride?...giants and what not...?

Not sure the team does....but from my experiences the people that live there sure did lol. I swear it felt like everyone either made hemp products or home made soaps lol! The place where unemployed artistic type go to survive lol. 😝

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Bellarmine had their game for this week cancelled and is supposedly willing to host or travel for a game.  That would be better than nothing.

• Like 4