UNC Asheville Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Well, you would assume that an announcement of Bellarmine, or any other replacement, would need to happen today.  For TV purposes, I assume BTN would prefer us to just keep our spot on their schedule.  And, it's not like Bellarmine would have any major travel plans.  It's a same day bus trip back and forth for them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

This sucks. My dad and I had tickets for the game. He hasn’t been to a game in 30 years and I haven’t been in a few. 

Which is exactly the reason why the school should be proactive in trying to find a replacement.  These games during holidays and school breaks are often the only time a lot of fans can get tickets. 

Bellarmine makes the perfect replacement team.  i hope the school makes that happen and will be disappointed if it doesn't.   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Which is exactly the reason why the school should be proactive in trying to find a replacement.  These games during holidays and school breaks are often the only time a lot of fans can get tickets. 

Bellarmine makes the perfect replacement team.  i hope the school makes that happen and will be disappointed if it doesn't.   

Prepare for disappointment. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Disappointed 

"The game will not be rescheduled.  According to a program spokesman, IU is not currently looking for a replacement opponent for this week"

Man.  That is frustrating as a fan.  If I would have had tickets to the game, I would be inclined to express my frustration directly with the athletic office.  Still may.  Would point out UK's efforts to replace Louisville and the fact that Bellarmine available as the perfect opponent.  What an opportunity missed.  now, we have to worry about some rust on the guys headed into Big Ten play.   

• Like 1

Predictable. 

What could be the reasons we aren't looking for a game? Does the team not want to play? Does the administration not want the hassle of the logistics involved with scheduling someone last minute? It makes very little sense to me how Bellarmine and Valparaiso would have opponents cancel on them at the same time as IU, yet IU comes out and says it's not looking for a replacement game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I would look at IUPUI who can just bus down and be there in less than an hour.  Also pick a real bad team since you won't have time to scout that team.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would look at IUPUI who can just bus down and be there in less than an hour.  Also pick a real bad team since you won't have time to scout that team.

IUPUI may not have the game available.  We know Bellarmine does, and apparently Valpo does as well.  Bellarmine is only two hours away and can make it a single day trip.  No overnight accommodations necessary.  It's just silly that is not being considered.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Predictable. 

What could be the reasons we aren't looking for a game? Does the team not want to play? Does the administration not want the hassle of the logistics involved with scheduling someone last minute? It makes very little sense to me how Bellarmine and Valparaiso would have opponents cancel on them at the same time as IU, yet IU comes out and says it's not looking for a replacement game. 

Maybe at this point, they don’t want to risk exposure prior to the Penn St game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Predictable. 

Maybe keeping our heads down for a little bit so we don't lose BIG games.  I was at the clinic to get tested this week in the Indianapolis area.  They said a bunch of people are testing positive now.  They may be hoping that this mostly burns through if they keep a low profile.

• Like 1

C’mon guys. There’s more important things to get upset over than getting a game cancelled against a low mid-major. Maybe be thankful that UNC Asheville caught these cases before the game was played so our players are not the ones getting exposed, infected and then cancelling more important Big Ten games in the future. We have a big game on Sunday. Maybe it’s best to take a knee with a minute left going into the second half. With the rapid spread of omicron, I’m sure this has to be going through the administrations’ heads - just get into Big Ten play with as close to a full team as possible.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Man.  That is frustrating as a fan.  If I would have had tickets to the game, I would be inclined to express my frustration directly with the athletic office.  Still may.  Would point out UK's efforts to replace Louisville and the fact that Bellarmine available as the perfect opponent.  What an opportunity missed.  now, we have to worry about some rust on the guys headed into Big Ten play.   

Again...those were two VERY UNIQUE circumstances. Most games have just been canceled and not an alternate opponent replaced. UK, NC, UCLA, and OSU were all in Vegas when two teams got hit with Covid....the other two literally were already there ready to play...tip it off...no scheduling/logistics and they knew it was safe because they just got tested. UK vs WKY was more of a charity function for the tornado victims and a fundraiser then just a simple reschedule...now certainly IU could make a game happen if they wanted...but what is best might be to not expose kids to a chance exposure where they miss B1G games. I just don't think these are apple to apple comparisons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

IUPUI may not have the game available.  We know Bellarmine does, and apparently Valpo does as well.  Bellarmine is only two hours away and can make it a single day trip.  No overnight accommodations necessary.  It's just silly that is not being considered.  

Did you get confirmation it wasn't considered? Did the AD say..."dang we never even thought of that!" Now do we not agree with the cost/benefit analysis they came to is one thing but let's not pretend we know all the steps they went to in coming to it. Heck we don't even know if they asked Bellermine and they turned us down. Geez guys...a good hard practice might be just as beneficial as a tune up game at this point in the season.

• Like 2