UNC Asheville Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

16 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

This sucks. My dad and I had tickets for the game. He hasn’t been to a game in 30 years and I haven’t been in a few. 

Honestly...I'm very sorry you guys are missing out on that opportunity. Cherish any memories you can make. We have all lost a ton of those opportunities to Covid so far...and a ton of our dads to Covid neither can be lessoned. Miss my dad everyday (not from Covid) and I know that would be one heck of a good one. It might not be an IU game but I'm sure there can be something else and make it a great evening anyways...have him over and rewatch on youtube an old IU classic and have a drink and reminisce...anything honestly because time is precious. Sorry again and hope you find time to reschedule!!   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

C’mon guys. There’s more important things to get upset over than getting a game cancelled against a low mid-major. Maybe be thankful that UNC Asheville caught these cases before the game was played so our players are not the ones getting exposed, infected and then cancelling more important Big Ten games in the future. We have a big game on Sunday. Maybe it’s best to take a knee with a minute left going into the second half. With the rapid spread of omicron, I’m sure this has to be going through the administrations’ heads - just get into Big Ten play with as close to a full team as possible.  

This hits it on the head. Maybe they are thinking long term here, the way omnicron is spreading so fast and MIGHT burn itself out fast the administration is probably thinking it is better to be safe then sorry. Let the team hunker down for a few more days and get ready for the B1G.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Such BS! The entire college landscape has become way to political. So, we sure wouldn't want our boys catching cold now would we. 

No, we wouldn't. Because this cold is so infectious that it'd most likely spread to the rest of the team and we still wouldn't be able to put a healthy line-up on the floor anyway (politics or not). The NCAA and IU are trying to avoid as many cancelled games as possible.

COVID just went through the entire Chicago Bulls team. Because of quarantining they ended up only having to postpone 2 games. If they would've just sent the first infected player to practice and games, the whole team would've gotten sick at the same time and they probably would've missed 4-5 games (and I'm not going to even get into how this would've affected their opponents' schedules). Sure, they all ended up getting it anyway and they had a limited line-up for almost a month, BUT the infections were spread out (sick players rotating out of the line up over a 3 week span) so they could still field enough players to play almost all of their games. And that is the point: avoid cancellations/postponements. This isn't rocket science. Not everything has to be looked through a political lens; this is the world we live in right now. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

No, we wouldn't. Because this cold is so infectious that it'd most likely spread to the rest of the team and we still wouldn't be able to put a healthy line-up on the floor anyway (politics or not). The NCAA and IU are trying to avoid as many cancelled games as possible.

COVID just went through the entire Chicago Bulls team. Because of quarantining they ended up only having to postpone 2 games. If they would've just sent the first infected player to practice and games, the whole team would've gotten sick at the same time and they probably would've missed 4-5 games (and I'm not going to even get into how this would've affected their opponents' schedules). Sure, they all ended up getting it anyway and they had a limited line-up for almost a month, BUT the infections were spread out and they could still field enough players to play almost all of their games. And that is the point. This isn't rocket science. Not everything has to be looked through a political lens; this is the world we live in right now. 

I am convinced this virus will never be eradicated. There will always be some variant that gets mutated. Damn Chinese lab.....

• Like 7

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Kentucky had games with OSU and Louisville cancelled and replaced them with games against North Carolina and Western Kentucky. I'd like to think we're competent enough that we could convince Bellarmine or Valparaiso to come here. But I could totally see our administration doing nothing at all. 

You called it.

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

C’mon guys. There’s more important things to get upset over than getting a game cancelled against a low mid-major. Maybe be thankful that UNC Asheville caught these cases before the game was played so our players are not the ones getting exposed, infected and then cancelling more important Big Ten games in the future. We have a big game on Sunday. Maybe it’s best to take a knee with a minute left going into the second half. With the rapid spread of omicron, I’m sure this has to be going through the administrations’ heads - just get into Big Ten play with as close to a full team as possible.  

IU made all students get the vaccine. That shouldnt be an issue. I would think the team is at 100% or very close.

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

IU made all students get the vaccine. That shouldnt be an issue. I would think the team is at 100% or very close.

I'm respecting the mods wishes by keeping this discussion related to basketball. All I can say is: unfortunately it is an issue. The efficacy is lower for Omicron and even natural immunity is less of a defense. I wish we had a crystal ball to look into the future so we could learn the biological make-up of all future variants to avoid these issues. But we can't. I guess we just need to roll with the punches and manage our current circumstances as best we can. 

Again, if the main goal is to play as many games as possible, then playing a COVID-plagued team is probably not the wisest decision. And trying to find a low mid major to substitute in a shortened holiday week, when we have a game scheduled 5 days, may not be worth the effort from a team preparation standpoint or an administrative standpoint. 

Sure we may be a little rusty, but not nearly as rusty as PSU who hasn't played a game since 12/11. All said, I think the team will be fine.

While we all are disappointed that our Hoosier won't take the court, there's some great threads in CC's Corner with movie and TV Show recommendations that can help us fill the now vacant 2.5 hour time slot that we have open tonight. 👍

On to Penn State!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

You called it.

Wasn't a difficult prediction to make. Our administration might say they want a strong basketball program, but I think they're inherently lazy and don't like the work that goes into making that happen, especially if it means acting quickly or thinking outside the box on anything. The events staff is probably happy to have the night off. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1