Trey Galloway status

Rantool

3 hours ago, Rantool said:

Anyone have any news on Trey's injury progress? Wondering when he may return to play? Think his highbasketball IQ would have been a real help at Syracuse, and Wisconsin. Coaches son that plays unselfishly and knows how to win! Anyone else think so?

I think he brings a lot to the table and the coaches obviously think he does as well based on his spot in the rotation prior to the injury.  That said, where do his minutes come from?  Phinisee and Leal are playing well right now.  

5 hours ago, Rantool said:

Anyone have any news on Trey's injury progress? Wondering when he may return to play? Think his highbasketball IQ would have been a real help at Syracuse, and Wisconsin. Coaches son that plays unselfishly and knows how to win! Anyone else think so?

I believe CMW said Trey was on track to return by B1G play. He may even get a little action against UNC-Ashville.🤞

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I like his energy and passing...but he really needs tons of work on his shot....can't imagine messing up his shooting hand has helped the worst part of his game.

IIRC the surgery was on his NON-shooting hand. I saw a recent scar on his left wrist in the NKY game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I like Galloway.  He brings a dimension athletically on the wing that Stewart and Kopp don’t have.  Of course they can shoot though.  But he can get out and run and he can defend a bit in space.  You can watch opposing shooters against him and he can bother them.   Woody seems to focus on matchups and there are games where he might like what Galloway brings. 

One example from last year.  Stefanovic from Purdue was extremely comfortable with Durham on him, like he could get a good shot any time he wanted. But when Trey came in, it was a totally different story.  You could see Trey was bothering him.   It was like night and day.  Watch for this because it’s interesting. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like Galloway.  He brings a dimension athletically on the wing that Stewart and Kopp don’t have.  Of course they can shoot though.  But he can get out and run and he can defend a bit in space.  You can watch opposing shooters against him and he can bother them.   Woody seems to focus on matchups and there are games where he might like what Galloway brings. 

One example from last year.  Stefanovic from Purdue was extremely comfortable with Durham on him, like he could get a good shot any time he wanted. But when Trey came in, it was a totally different story.  You could see Trey was bothering him.   It was like night and day.  Watch for this because it’s interesting. 

Great, now that i will be watching for that, Stefanovich is going to go off for 25 against us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point. We have no one in our lineup that can guard Ivey....with Galloway I think he is athletic and smart enough to give him some trouble at least.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good point. We have no one in our lineup that can guard Ivey....with Galloway I think he is athletic and smart enough to give him some trouble at least.

I’m very curious to see a senior Rob on Ivey.  He will give up height but Ivey likes to go off the bounce.  That’s right where Rob can be useful…..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m very curious to see a senior Rob on Ivey.  He will give up height but Ivey likes to go off the bounce.  That’s right where Rob can be useful…..

He will have a shot for sure. I just think Ivey raises up and hits 15 footer after another over him unfortunately. No one is going to stop him...but no doubt Trey can make it the most difficult on him. Don't even want to think of guys like Stewart or Bates on him....will have our front court in foul trouble in no time....going to need those fouls going up against Willaims and Edy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He will have a shot for sure. I just think Ivey raises up and hits 15 footer after another over him unfortunately. No one is going to stop him...but no doubt Trey can make it the most difficult on him. Don't even want to think of guys like Stewart or Bates on him....will have our front court in foul trouble in no time....going to need those fouls going up against Willaims and Edy.

I will take my chances with an all American level player resorting to rise up 15 footers. He may hit a bunch, but those are not high percentage shots for anybody.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

I will take my chances with an all American level player resorting to rise up 15 footers. He may hit a bunch, but those are not high percentage shots for anybody.

So you start both Rob and XJ? I think he will get some time on him...just not sure he won't be able to use his size and strength to get where he wants and finish over him.

Ivey is not stronger than Rob. Rob is exceptionally strong. Teammates and coaches have mentioned that on several.occasions.

If (and that's a huge if) he can keep Ivey in front of him, that's all you can ask. Ivey is a really good player. So make it as hard as possible is all you can do. 

No easy solution guarding him, that's for sure.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ivey is not stronger than Rob. Rob is exceptionally strong. Teammates and coaches have mentioned that on several.occasions.

If (and that's a huge if) he can keep Ivey in front of him, that's all you can ask. Ivey is a really good player. So make it as hard as possible is all you can do. 

He is giving up 4 to 5 inches and a good 10-15 lbs....for his size and a point guard RP is strong..but being able to force a bigger player away from the basket on a drive etc.....sorry there is more than just pure strength that matters. I do think Rob will get his time...and hopefully he can force him to take jumpers but I've seen Rob get abused by bigger guards for 4 years. He excels against those smaller point guards though...really did well against guys like Winston etc....not so well against guys like Geo Baker.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Personally, I'd like to see us try to deny Ivey even touching the ball. Obviously, not possible, but a good defender can make the number of touches go way down. I've seen this team do this already this year on a couple of different players. Didn't do it all game, but for stretches of time it can work.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Agree. If he rises up and hits a jumper over Rob, more power to him.  Can’t keep him to zero. I’d rather play it that way.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1