Movies

MoyeCowbell

Went to the theater a few weeks back and saw "House of Guicci: which was ok, but long...3 stars I'd say...

Watched "Being the Ricardos" on Amazon Prime (free) Friday and I thought it was pretty good, especially if you're a Lucille Ball/"I Love Lucy" fan...4 1/2 stars...Kidman is actually pretty good as Lucy, as is Javier Bardam as Desi Arnez (If you can't get past him saying "Call it" in "No Country for Old Men")...JK Simmons as William Frawley (Fred Mertz) was really good as well...

Edited by IUFLA

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

After watching Christmas Vacation last week, I realized I haven't seen the "original" in years, so I watched "Vacation" and "European Vacation" last couple nights. Still cracks me up.

"Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm a tradition type guy which makes the following comment embarrassing to say. I've never watched It's a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th St. Just picked them up this morning to watch at some point this week in between family, Christmas, and the never ending world of Sports/Holidays,etc....

The most recent movie we watched though is a favorite in our world. Jeremiah Johnson. I can watch that bad boy over and over...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Well, it's prime movie-watching season. What's everyone watching? Are you checking out new films or revisiting old classics?

My last five:

Don't Look Up (2021)

The Game (1997)

The Power of the Dog (2021)

Mixed Nuts (1994)

Die Hard (1988)

Watched “Don’t Look Up” on Christmas Eve. That was a fun, hilarious (and scary) one. 

Before that it was “Christmas Vacation” and “Home Alone.” 

The only other movie I watched this last month, was “Tik Tik Boom,” which I guess was more of a musical. But still very good. 

• Like 2

I think my top 3 all-time are:

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

There's Something About Mary (1998)

The Breakfast Club (1985)

The first one may be one of the best karma movies ever made and the second one made us laugh almost until we cried when we saw it in the theater.

The last one defined my generation the way The Graduate defined those who grew up in the 60's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I think my top 3 all-time are:

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

There's Something About Mary (1998)

The Breakfast Club (1985)

The first one may be one of the best karma movies ever made and the second one made us laugh almost until we cried when we saw it in the theater.

The last one defined my generation the way The Graduate defined those who grew up in the 60's.

I graduated HS in '85.  Personally, I don't want my generation defined by the "Brat Pack."

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Oh, I enjoyed the movie.  I just don't think it defines my(as in I) generation.

I hear you...but Rico is unique. 😂  I graduated a year in front of you and I saw a lot of me and a lot of my classmates in several of those characters.  You might be able to identify more with some of the characters in Footloose with the rural vibe.  I remember a tractor race in that one and I could see young Rico doing something like that. 😜

• Haha 1

I watched Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and part of A Christmas Story last week.  Christmas Vacation is an annual tradition.  Had not seen Home Alone in probably 10 years.  I never seem to see all of A Christmas Story in a single setting.  It's 30 minutes here, 15 minutes there, etc.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I watched Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, and part of A Christmas Story last week.  Christmas Vacation is an annual tradition.  Had not seen Home Alone in probably 10 years.  I never seem to see all of A Christmas Story in a single setting.  It's 30 minutes here, 15 minutes there, etc.

Home Alone is such a well structure movie. So many fun things sprinkled in that make it even more enjoyable after multiple viewings. Gotta give John Hughes credit, he knew how to make a damn good move...

...which leads to my all-time favorite comedy Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Just finished that and it still has me rolling every time. RIP John Candy.

Gonna night cap with my absolute fave: No Country for Old Men. Feeling festive 🙃

• Like 1

Not sure if anybody watched some episodes on the Netflix series ‘The Movies That Made Us’, but many of the movies talked about above are featured. It’s actually a real good show that dives into the making of our favorite movies. They interview the writers, directors, etc. about how the movies came to be and the obstacles they ran into. 

Movies I watched recently:
- Die Hard
- Die Hard 2
- Christmas Vacation
- Forest Gump (This may have past Shawshank for my favorite all time movie)
- The Family Stone (My wife loves this movie and it drives me crazy in the same way Meet The Parents does…so frustrating)
- Shang Chi

Movies on my queue:
- Matrix Revolutions
- Don’t Look Up

11 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

...which leads to my all-time favorite comedy Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Just finished that and it still has me rolling every time. RIP John Candy.

🙃

I think about that movie everytime I go to a car rental counter, and the lady says, "May I help you?" 

Watched the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol which, imo is the best remake of the Dickens classic.

Also watched White Christmas--Bing is a delight to listen to.

Would like to see the Lucy/Desi movie. 

Started Home Alone last night, but got to talking and didn't finish it. 

If you haven't heard, good ol' Buzz got arrested for domestic assault. Allegedly choked his girlfriend, and while doing so said, "this is how you die."

Yikes.