Movies

MoyeCowbell

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Would like to see the Lucy/Desi movie. 

You're around my age...I think you'll enjoy it...Like I said, it's free on Amazon Prime...

The growth of the movie and TV industry from a historical perspective is really interesting...I knew censors were a bit purdish back then, but they weren't even allowed to say "pregnant." Had to go with "expecting" instead. And the twin beds for married couples always did crack me up...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wanted to watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife tonight. Not available to rent yet. 

Instead I am going to watch Gladiator for the first time in forever. 

Then the original Ghostbusters.

My uncultured wife hasn't seen either of them. 

And she gets bored watching Last of The Mohicans. 🤦‍♂️smh

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well, I wanted to watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife tonight. Not available to rent yet. 

May I suggest "Secondhand Lions"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Good luck with Gladiator then...that is a long @ss movie for someone who has a short attention span. That said I envy that your wife will watch such movies with you. The list of genres that my wife will not watch is incredibly long. Basically it has to be a ROM-COM...or a Hallmark Christmas movie...that's about the extent. I have at least a little more luck with some TV shows because the episodes are only 30 mins to an hour...longer than that good luck! Funny enough her parents will come over and we can watch just about anything together....and she ends up leaving the room and doing something on her phone or going to bed. They at least appreciate a good story.

Genres my wife WONT watch

Period pieces-Western/futuristic

Sci-fi

Space movies-nothing that has to do with space

Aliens/Zombies etc...nope

Cop movies-to much thinking she says

Action movies-anything with guns or anything blowing up...not interested

Superhero movies-if it isn't realistic she isn't watching

Dramas-if it takes longer than 20 mins to tell the back story she is done with it

Animated movies-she ain't watching anything with my daughter....doesn't like disney or cartoons

Foreign films-subtitles or dubbed doesn't matter they give her a headache she says

Well I think you get the idea.....but she will turn on MTV old school from the 80's and 90's and watch for two hours straight....or veg out on mindless reality tv programming...with the lowest of the low content.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The list of genres that my wife will not watch is incredibly long. Basically it has to be a ROM-COM...or a Hallmark Christmas movie...that's about the extent.

I talked my wife into watching "No Country for Old Men" a few weeks back, and while she couldn't tear herself away from it, she hated the ending and I get accused of making her have nightmares...Christ, she was even expecting Ricky to take Lucy out with that air driven cattle gun when we watched "Being the Ricardos." :D 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Ayden loves US history and we have been watching lots of good movies. He really liked The Patriot.

A few I very much enjoyed that he might like would be Lincoln, The Alamo, and Apollo 13. There is enough there to kind of learn/teach along with being very good or entertaining. I also think the Oversimplified   

videos on youtube are pretty good to get younger people/or people with a short attention span interested in history and to then dive deeper and read about it later. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Very good call.

The book "Gettysburg" was based on, "Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara, is awesome (I think it won a Pulitzer). I read it when I was in Greenland in 1987 (I read a lot that year...the only other off duty pasttimes were hitting the gym, which I also did, or drinking, which I tried to limit)...When the movie came out, I was prepared to be disappointed, but was happy when I wasn't...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The book "Gettysburg" was based on, "Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara, is awesome (I think it won a Pulitzer). I read it when I was in Greenland in 1987 (I read a lot that year...the only other off duty pasttimes were hitting the gym, which I also did, or drinking, which I tried to limit)...When the movie came out, I was prepared to be disappointed, but was happy when I wasn't...

It's so hard to have a movie based on a book and even more difficult based on real life events and to be "good"...to try to get enough entertainment and yet hold true enough to the source....so if it get's it right that is a big compliment. Most often if I see a movie that is based on a book that I enjoyed I definitely try to make a point to read the book....and I'm usually never disappointed as the book is usually so much better!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Has he watched "Gettysburg"?

Awesome movie if you can find it somewhere....

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Also have read the book. Good recommendation.

I wrote a big paper about Longstreet in college, and gave a presentation about Picket's charge on day 3 of Gettysburg in grad school.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I wrote a big paper about Longstreet in college, as well as a presentation about Picket's charge on day 3 of Gettysburg.

When I went to Gettysburg a few years back, I had to stand where Pickett's charge started and just imagine...

That was an eye opener...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When I went to Gettysburg a few years back, I had to stand where Pickett's charge started and just imagine...

I read and watched tons about the Civil War. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to visit Gettysburg to walk the battlefields. It is on my list. Coolest thing so far is visiting Charleston and Fort Sumter.

@Billingsley99 Tora! Tora! Tora! is a great World War II/Pearl Harbor movie if you and Ayden haven't seen it yet.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It's so hard to have a movie based on a book and even more difficult based on real life events and to be "good"...to try to get enough entertainment and yet hold true enough to the source....so if it get's it right that is a big compliment. Most often if I see a movie that is based on a book that I enjoyed I definitely try to make a point to read the book....and I'm usually never disappointed as the book is usually so much better!

Blackhawk Down is about the only movie that is even close to the real life events and they pulled it off in about 2 hrs. One of the delta operators on the ground done and interview or article and said it was 75%+ on point. I can find it if you want. 

My wife likes it, and she did like Gladiator after the initial battle scene. The trick is to sell it to them as a love story. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I read and watched tons about the Civil War. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to visit Gettysburg to walk the battlefields. It is on my list. Coolest thing so far is visiting Charleston and Fort Sumter.

@Billingsley99 Tora! Tora! Tora! is a great World War II/Pearl Harbor movie if you and Ayden haven't seen it yet.

I've been to Shiloh and Appomattox.  

A Gettysburg, Philadelphia, Antietam trip is in my future plans. Start at South Mountain and make a big loop.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

At Appomattox you can go to where Lee's last meeting was.  Also, standing at the courthouse and imagining being surrounded by 100,000 troops.  Hard to picture it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

We loved Gettysburg.  Ayden has been to all three 9/11 sites and several Civil War sites. I loved Tora Tora Tora. Next summer we are doing the Carolinas and Virginia fir historic sites

• Like 3

17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I believe he also wrote God's and Generals, excellent book. The movie was good if you like lots of dialog, unfortunately I have watched alone a few times

• Like 2

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We spent July 3rd a few years ago in Gettysburg. We spent all day there so surreal. I do not recommend the reenactment,  hot and boring.  The next day we celebrated July 4th in NYC, watched the Yankees, Joey Chestnut win the Nathan's hot dog eating contest  and fireworks over New York harbor.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

We spent July 3rd a few years ago in Gettysburg. We spent all day there so surreal. I do not recommend the reenactment,  hot and boring.  The next day we celebrated July 4th in NYC, watched the Yankees, Joey Chestnut win the Nathan's hot dog eating contest  and fireworks over New York harbor.  

I’m probably biased, but that second part sounds awesome!

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It was for sure. My oldest son is a huge Yankees fan and for his HS graduation we took the family to NYC. I wanted to also go to Gettysburg and the wife Hershey so a long weekend turned into 8 or 9 days. 

That’s awesome! Hope you all enjoyed the trip. I know NYC can be a lot for some people, but if you do it right it can be magical.