Movies

MoyeCowbell

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, if I walked up to you in a non-public place, with no one there but you, your wife, and me, and I proceeded to make a snide remark about her appearance, you would just let it go?

Maybe you would, and that is fine.  But, a lot of people outraged by his actions are only acting that way because it was Chris Rock (i.e. a celebrity) he hit and it was done in public. 

Meanwhile, in the scenario where only the three of them are present, the 'jokester' gets his bell ring 75% plus of the time.

It cant be right in one of those scenarios and be wrong in the other.

It definitely can be 2 different situations. If I go to a comedy club and the guy makes a JOKE remember a JOKE (that is why the Oscars have COMEDIANS(funny joke tellers) MC those events) and the guy makes a JOKE about me my wife my kids etc... it is expected. 

No performer, actor, comedian, athlete should be assaulted because someone got offended. Thats the nature of the line of business. 

there is a huge difference between you not knowing me and saying something rude and in that case depending on what you said would determine my action. Usually I can make a comment that makes the guy look more like a dick that what a slap would do. I still defend my wife and show him what a jerk he is .  A situation in which these 3 know each other well have done movies together have made fun and made jokes about both of them in the past. That is no where near the same as me defending my wife. 

My wife loves when I defend her and she even thinks this is stupid and I don't see why some think this was a badge of honor, great job Will. You slapped a 120 lb comedian on the biggest night for your industry on national TV for doing what he was paid to do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It definitely can be 2 different situations. If I go to a comedy club and the guy makes a JOKE remember a JOKE (that is why the Oscars have COMEDIANS(funny joke tellers) MC those events) and the guy makes a JOKE about me my wife my kids etc... it is expected. 

No performer, actor, comedian, athlete should be assaulted because someone got offended. Thats the nature of the line of business. 

there is a huge difference between you not knowing me and saying something rude and in that case depending on what you said would determine my action. Usually I can make a comment that makes the guy look more like a dick that what a slap would do. I still defend my wife and show him what a jerk he is .  A situation in which these 3 know each other well have done movies together have made fun and made jokes about both of them in the past. That is no where near the same as me defending my wife. 

My wife loves when I defend her and she even thinks this is stupid and I don't see why some think this was a badge of honor, great job Will. You slapped a 120 lb comedian on the biggest night for your industry on national TV for doing what he was paid to do.

Exactly...

Two things drove Smith's action...his wife's glare, and the fact that it was Chris Rock and not Duane "The Rock" Johnson...

• Like 2

The thing I hate about this is that the world has to weigh in on the situation, take a side, act outraged, etc. 

The joke was tasteless. Violence is not an appropriate reaction. I don't know what is left to analyze. Can the country move on from this already? I honestly think the most disappointing thing in this whole fiasco is the easily predicted reaction to it. I swear our culture's attention span is equivalent to a puppy with ADHD.  There's so many more important things going on right now that deserve our attention.

On another note, King Richard was a great movie. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly...

Two things drove Smith's action...his wife's glare, and the fact that it was Chris Rock and not Duane "The Rock" Johnson...

You are correct at first he thought it was funny saw the glare and realized I have to go home to her and not to Chris so here we go. 

Many years ago we were in Panama City in a restaurant Maybe Pineapple Willies and our oldest kids were 11 and 8 at the time. A group of 6 guys in their 20's having a great time drinking it up started getting louder and the language was getting more than what my wife thought was appropriate in front of our kids. I saw the look and in that moment thought if I saw nothing the rest of the vacation will be pure hell for me and if I do I could spend the rest of the vacation in the hospital. Easy decision so I head over and them politely if they would watch the language in front of my wife and kids etc.. One of the guys yells I will say what the F i want when and where the F I want and if you have a problem with it we can go outside along with several other profanities. I being the smartass that I am smarting something off to him just to piss him off and then insulted him with a comment about his intellect and not knowing any adjectives with more than 4 letters and said I would hold the door open so we could go. His buddies started laughing made fun of him and he sat down and shut up. As we were finishing up the server came over and said that our check had been picked up by that group of guys. I gave a friendly little wave bought them a bucket of beers and had a great evening. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Cmon... have you been in a bar? 

My best friend (PU grad, engineer and was a Captain in the Army at the time)was arrested in Bloomington at an IU Michigan football game. We were tailgating the guys football came over Tom threw it back to the other guy and his buddy took exception Tom knocked the guys hat off they called the police and he was arrested with assault. Yeah I have seen a thing or 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My best friend (PU grad, engineer and was a Captain in the Army at the time)was arrested in Bloomington at an IU Michigan football game. We were tailgating the guys football came over Tom threw it back to the other guy and his buddy took exception Tom knocked the guys hat off they called the police and he was arrested with assault. Yeah I have seen a thing or 2

I would assume the amount of punches that are thrown, compared to the amount of arrests that happen would be like 1000 to 1. I watched my marine friend kick the poop out of three guys in the middle of the street outside of Kilroys. No cops. No arrests, and that is much more usual. 

Side not: I begged those three guys to shut their traps the whole time they kept poking at my buddy lol ... Same guy who posts videos of him laughing hysterically as he is shooting his rifle during one of his tours in Afghanistan. He also volunteered for his last two tours overseas. He enjoyed it. Different breed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm just simply saying... I don't really see why or in what setting Will would be arrested for that. I understand he COULD be arrested for it. I just can't think of a situation where he would be, or where someone would call the cops on one isolated slap. 

Obvious question here since we are playing the if game... What if it were a woman he slapped does that change things? Why?

Edited by Billingsley99

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Obvious question here since we are playing the if game... What if it were a woman he slapped does that change things? Why?

Of course that changes things. Why? because there should be rules of engagement lol 

There are rules this isn't Nam!!! 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Of course that changes things. Why? because there should be rules of engagement lol 

There are rules this isn't Nam!!! 

Maybe I am not very smart but I believe there is only 1 set of laws correct not 1 for men and 1 for women so it boils down to perception and what society feels if acceptable and not really what the law says then?

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe I am not very smart but I believe there is only 1 set of laws correct not 1 for men and 1 for women so it boils down to perception and what society feels if acceptable and not really what the law says then?

I would agree. It's always been that way. Perception is everything. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree with that. I never said anything to combat that. 

And Chris Rock shouldn't make jokes about diseases. 

In this life I have learned that you just have to laugh at some of the worst things imaginable, helps get through some of those things. She was just ticked off about the last jokes he made about her I believe and she could not be a victim in that one and this one she could. I for 1 feel for anyone dealing with health issues but to a comedian very very little is off limits. I see nothing wrong with it. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In this life I have learned that you just have to laugh at some of the worst things imaginable, helps get through some of those things. She was just ticked off about the last jokes he made about her I believe and she could not be a victim in that one and this one she could. I for 1 feel for anyone dealing with health issues but to a comedian very very little is off limits. I see nothing wrong with it. 

You see NOTHING wrong with making that joke? Absolutely nothing? 

I hope Chris Rock gets smacked every time he makes a joke about someone's wife lol... he isn't that funny to begin with and I don't find him to be a good person, at all. His joke the other night further reinforces that. 

When we say "health issues" there are degrees of that as well...

Her condition, alopecia, is neither debilitating nor life threatening. I have a good friend who's lived with it since he was a small child, and he's a VP in the FAA...

Her vanity may be affected, but that's about it...

Maybe Rock should have said, "Jada, I love ya. "'Unfaithful II' can't wait to see it"

• Haha 1

Just now, btownqb said:

You see NOTHING wrong with making that joke? Absolutely nothing? 

I hope Chris Rock gets smacked every time he makes a joke about someone's wife lol... he isn't that funny to begin with and I don't find him to be a good person, at all. His joke the other night further reinforces that. 

Not even a little bit. What a person does on stage does not dictate their life in any way shape or form. Just like what Dakich says so many get upset, he is playing a role and gets paid to get listeners and to get people riled up. All jokes are offensive to someone correct?  Otherwise it would not be a joke

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Her condition, alopecia, is neither debilitating nor life threatening. I have a good friend who's lived with it since he was a small child, and he's a VP in the FAA...

Maybe Rock should have said, "Jada, I love ya. "'Unfaithful II' can't wait to see it"

Losing hair for a woman is a pretty big deal. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Thats why Will hit him, he was afraid that if not she just find someone else to bang after

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not even a little bit. What a person does on stage does not dictate their life in any way shape or form. Just like what Dakich says so many get upset, he is playing a role and gets paid to get listeners and to get people riled up. All jokes are offensive to someone correct?  Otherwise it would not be a joke

👍

There are lines that should never be crossed. That is one of them. As a professional and long standing host, Chris Rock should have the understanding not to say something like that. 

You don't get to say whatever you want just because you are a comedian, Will Smith proved that. 

Edited by btownqb

I remember a friend who was a Harley riding biker. Disappeared from work for a couple months to spend some time, if you know what I mean. At least once we ended up in the alley. One night he the guy at the next table basicly sitting shoulder to shoulder started jawing at each other. The other guy had two wing men, I'm like I need to put an end to this or we're going to the alley again. Never did anything like it before or after but some primal instinct took over. I reached over and grabbed my friend by the cheeks and planted a kiss on his lips! I went back to drinking and a moment or two later so did everyone else!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats why Will hit him, he was afraid that if not she just find someone else to bang after

Why does it bother you so much that a comedian took a joke too far and got slapped for it? Like that is exactly what should happen. You should never just be able to run your mouth without ramifications. That is some of the problem with social media. 

It isn't Rock's decision if the joke went too far.