Movies

MoyeCowbell

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know when USAF aviation is gonna get the picture and see what movies like "Top Gun: Maverick" do for recruiting...

"An Officer and a Gentleman"

"Top Gun"

"Top Gun: Maverick"

Not to mention the Blue Angels video "Dreams"

Whenever we had an airshow at Eglin and the Thunderbirds performed, the Blue Angels would just "happen" to be practicing somewhere close (they were based on Pensacola) and would come over and do their mini-show...

It was no contest... 

WTH?  No mention of "Iron Eagle?'

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw "Elvis" last night. I'll make a few comments...

It's a good movie even though it's too long (2 hours 39 minutes)...

It's a good movie even though the story is uneven and the cinematography is sometimes over the top...

Austin Butler definitely deserves an Academy Award nomination. Of all of the biographical figures that I've seen portrayed in movies, his performance is absolutely the best. There are times I thought I was watching Elvis himself...

One of the worst performances of Tom Hanks career... 

Elvis's story is ultimately a sad one, and Baz Luhrman does capture that... 

Elvis fans will love it... The casual observer will like it... 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

There is a movie coming out called Pardoned by Grace. It's about a guy named Scott Highberger who overcame addiction and a prison sentence to become a pastor and preach to inmates. His Behind the Wire ministry is headquartered in my town. 

The movie premier is in October in Washington.  He is played by Joey Lawrence who may be coming to the premiere.  

• Like 5

On 6/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, IUFLA said:

Saw "Elvis" last night. I'll make a few comments...

It's a good movie even though it's too long (2 hours 39 minutes)...

It's a good movie even though the story is uneven and the cinematography is sometimes over the top...

Austin Butler definitely deserves an Academy Award nomination. Of all of the biographical figures that I've seen portrayed in movies, his performance is absolutely the best. There are times I thought I was watching Elvis himself...

One of the worst performances of Tom Hanks career... 

Elvis's story is ultimately a sad one, and Baz Luhrman does capture that... 

Elvis fans will love it... The casual observer will like it... 

Elvis played in Madison, WI in June 1977. 

He died 7 weeks later.

Here's a trivia story about how he broke up a gas station fight while he was here.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/25273

I admit I'm biased to put it mildly, but just finished a movie about life in the non russian USSR shortly after WW2. Having been on the strip with Eastern Europeans in the early 70's I can now only imagine their stories. One or two may have actually come out of his club.

Also, it shows a little of what the sport is like and how it is shunned. I highly recommend if you're interested.

On tubi the movie "The Fencer"

• 2 weeks later...

Going to a 10:15 pm showing of "Jaws" tonight at a local theater. $3 per on National Movie Day...

Hey, beats the heck out of 99% of the crap Hollywood turns out nowadays...

There's a place in Jasper called the Astra Theatre. I could have seen Raiders of the Lost Arc for $2 a ticket this month but missed out. 

I will be going in December to see Christmas Vacation on the big screen. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

There's a place in Jasper called the Astra Theatre. I could have seen Raiders of the Lost Arc for $2 a ticket this month but missed out. 

I will be going in December to see Christmas Vacation on the big screen. 

I went to the Indianapolis premier of "Jaws" in 1975. The women screaming at every little thing got on my nerves...

The men were even worse 😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Interested to hear how it is this time around. 

Well, Jaws ate the same amount of people and Quint bought it 😁 

And the only person who screamed was my wife when Ben Gardner's mauled head poked through the hole in his hull ("I forgot that part!") 

As I said, it was National Movie Day, so the tickets were only $3 apiece... Couple that with the $23 pizza bill at Crust Pizza (military discount and an app reward figured in... And @Seeking6 you said you have a friend that deals on franchising... I don't know if Crust is expanding to other states anytime soon, but it's really great pizza) the whole night cost me less than $30...

Not bad in this economy! 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And the only person who screamed was my wife when Ben Gardner's mauled head poked through the hole in his hull ("I forgot that part!") 

As I said, it was National Movie Day, so the tickets were only $3 apiece... Couple that with the $23 pizza bill at Crust Pizza (military discount and an app reward figured in... And @Seeking6 you said you have a friend that deals on franchising... I don't know if Crust is expanding to other states anytime soon, but it's really great pizza) the whole night cost me less than $30...

Not bad in this economy! 

That's a phenomenal deal on both. I really wish the $3 movie deal wasn't on College Football Opening day though. We have a Crust Pizza in Carmel but no clue if the same joint or franchise. It's woodburning stove type pizza but honestly I've never tried. 

• Like 1

Not bad in this economy! 

Crust pizza does look good. Up here there is Monicals which is the Chicago tavern style thin crust which looks similar. But I'll take both!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's a phenomenal deal on both. I really wish the $3 movie deal wasn't on College Football Opening day though. We have a Crust Pizza in Carmel but no clue if the same joint or franchise. It's woodburning stove type pizza but honestly I've never tried. 

I don't think this franchise has expanded outside of Texas/Louisiana yet, but it's a hot one here...

The Big Buffalo Chicken pizza is awesome... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 7:55 AM, IUFLA said:

Saw "Top Gun: Maverick" last night. Very good, but could have been better. Don't want to spoil it for anybody else...

It did get the aviation juices flowing. I told my wife about a time at Scott AFB when an F-15 had come over from St Louis. The McDonnell-Douglas plant was there at the time and the test pilots would come over to Scott and do practice approaches. When I coordinated his RTB to STL, the STL controller said if I could have him at 11,500 by the end of Scott's runway (7,038 ft at the time) he'd take him. I asked the pilot if he could do that... His answer was, "heh, heh, heh."

Fighter jocks are some cocky SOBs... But, they have a right to be... 

Finally going to see Top Gun on Monday. Figure I better see it on the big screen while they still have it. 

Plus, it's hard to beat movie popcorn and sprite. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 11:16 AM, mrflynn03 said:

Finally going to see Top Gun on Monday. Figure I better see it on the big screen while they still have it. 

Plus, it's hard to beat movie popcorn and sprite. 

Saw the movie last night. I liked it. Glad I saw it in theater. 

Best part is they remodeled the theater and put in seats that recline. It was like sitting in a lazy boy. Pretty awesome.

Wife wants to see Halloween Ends. I'll go but I hope it really is the end. I like most of the Halloween franchise but it's time to put it to bed. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love a good documentary... Watched one on Showtime called "Pariah: The Lives and Deaths of Sonny Liston."

I knew a lot of the story from reading stuff before, but his death and some of the underlying story of his career, particularly the 2 Ali fights, are fascinating... 

• Like 1