Time For NCAA To Be Proactive With Covid

5fouls

A significant issue is this isn’t like the NFL where your record directly seeds you.  In the NFL if you win two games by forfeiture, you get credit and get seeded accordingly.  

Here, you have a committee with plenty of fudge room to do whatever they want.  Let’s say you win three games by forfeiture to give you a record of 20-11.  But the committee could ignore those wins and think of you as a 17-11 team.  They don’t publicly have to say squat.  They can just seed you and then say whatever they want.  

Bottom line.  I wouldn’t get too excited about wins via forfeiture.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 1:59 PM, 5fouls said:

With the current Covid policies in place, there is little chance that the month of January will be anything short of total chaos.  Under the assumption that the policies, themselves, are not going to change, it's time the NCAA to change the schedule.  

• Approach the city of Indianapolis about a repeat performance hosting the entire tourney, only have it take place in April, not March.
  • All February game schedules remain in place. 
  • Games scheduled for January are moved to March, and it is up to each conference to get them on the calendar in an order that works for each school.  Not a single game is left scheduled in January.
  • Conference tournament championships will be held over a single week, not two, in order from the schedule dragging too far out in the future.  ESPN has enough channels to make sure everything gets covered.  The major conferences can give up ESPN coverage for their early round games to their respective network partners (BTN ACC, SEC, etc) so that all games are still televised.

Drastic?  Yes.  But, it will beat the heck out of the scheduling chaos we are going to see in January with all the postponements and cancellations.

Unfortunately the only thing the NCAA controls is the post season tournament, the rest of the schedule is up to each conference. And unlikely that those groups would be able to agree/coordinate anything like this. Too much is different from league to league, state to state on testing protocols, etc. Hopefully this new wave burns out relatively fast and the season can get finished with a tournament.

• Like 3

On 12/30/2021 at 7:09 AM, IUFLA said:

The number of competitors available – i.e. seven scholarship student-athletes for women’s and men’s basketball – and the availability of at least one countable coach will be factored into the decision-making process. A team that is below the number may still decide to compete if deemed safe by appropriate medical personnel (i.e. the decision to postpone a competition will not be automatic even if a team is below the number).

….whatever comes to fruition, I still think it’s be best to keep TJD in a bubble and have the team managers roll him around campus. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

The number of competitors available – i.e. seven scholarship student-athletes for women’s and men’s basketball – and the availability of at least one countable coach will be factored into the decision-making process. A team that is below the number may still decide to compete if deemed safe by appropriate medical personnel (i.e. the decision to postpone a competition will not be automatic even if a team is below the number).

….whatever comes to fruition, I still think it’s be best to keep TJD in a bubble and have the team managers roll him around campus. 

No one has more to gain or lose over the next 90 days than guys like TJD. I want him and all kids to enjoy their college time but he's projected in most mocks in 2nd round....but with huge spring he could hop into first round where the guaranteed $ is.

3 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

They have no choice but to play the tournament now as I just scheduled my customary Thursday/Friday PTO for March Madness. :coffee:

So have I.

Luckily my company pays for being off with Covid and I don't have to use my PTO time for it.  If I had to use PTO time I probably couldn't take off those days

Edited by IU Scott