PSU Post Game Thread

Inequality

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IIRC, this board was ecstatic when Rob and KL committed. When X committed we propped CMW for bringing in a tough, hard nosed player.

Now, the guards suck and are soft. 

Easy to turn on the program when things aren’t going like we’d like. Not going to turn my back on this team 

This.  Something that frustrates me more than the team losing a game we should win is all of the overreactions by fans when that happens.  

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IIRC, this board was ecstatic when Rob and KL committed. When X committed we propped CMW for bringing in a tough, hard nosed player.

Now, the guards suck and are soft. 

Easy to turn on the program when things aren’t going like we’d like. Not going to turn my back on this team 

To be fair, signing a 5* point guards is reason for celebration.  And signing XJ was an upgrade of an obviously under performing Rob.  And yeah, there was excitement, but look what we have seen.  We excel at winning cupcake games and playing 1 half of basketball against any type of competition.  

Are people over reacting, a bit, but Woodson was suppose to be the one.  The disciple of the great one.  The builder of monuments, KING WOODY as the t-shirts and profile pics show.  Was that too much, oh yeah.  But everyone was excited for IU to be back.  And unfortunately, so far, even with our record being what it is, you can't hide the glaring flaws that were supposed/hoped to be fixed.

I get where they are coming from.  I am disappointed.  The loss doesn't affect me anymore though.  Used to it.  Have other things more important to worry about than IU basketball.  But i get it.  I drank the cool-aid myself.  I thought, man we're going to show some people this year.  We're going to mount the first couple steps to the big stage again.  Back toward blue blood status.  And maybe we still can.  Long season.  But we definitely need to fix some things quickly or we will see a losing season pretty easily.

finally, its not about this season, its about the culture and history of this program since 2002.  We can't help but look back at Knight and what IU used to be.  We cannot fathom what has happened year after year.  So even though this is a new year, with a new coaching staff and some new players, it feel like the continuation of the last 10 years.  It doesn't feel any different, so people say the same things.  Feel the same feels.  Have the same reaction.  We haven't had any real success in so long that its easy to slip into the we can't trust the staff or the administration because they have let us down for some long.  

Winning Cures All.  No one will care about XJ or Rob or 60 of 200 minutes if we find ways to win games, or whether Lander, Bates or JG is getting minutes if we win.  But we have to win them.  1 point or 30 points.  We just have to win.  If you win every game by 30 your Great.  If you win every game by 1 you're Gritty!.  But everyone will always call you winners regardless of the score.  We haven't figured that out yet.  Just Win.

I could be talking out my ass so ignore me if you choose.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Understand you more than you know. This game today ranks about 30th on my radar of importance.

And that is why I posted what I did. This was one game. People acting like their hair is on fire 🔥

Happy New Year. Hope you are healthy and safe 

One game …. yes, but there aren’t many winnable Big10 road games. This was one that we should win, so you can’t piss them away. We’ve now pissed two Big10 road games away.  Sure, it’s just one game (actually two now), but one game we’re likely going to be talking about at the end of the season when we fall just short of making the tourney again. Every SINGLE game counts. As far as importance, no kidding, for most of us it doesn’t rate high, but importance and caring are two separate things. Are the high important things in your life the only things you care about?

• Like 3

I mentioned this in the Notre Dame post game thread but I’ve found the consistent theme with why we lose is centered around guys not fulfilling their role and the staff not doing enough to gameplan around our players strengths/weaknesses. 

Why are guys like X and Rob shooting 9 times a game and the best 3 point shooter in the CONFERENCE gets up a total of max 4 shots?! Stewart is not a good defender, so if you aren’t getting him touches why is he on the floor…Penn state had no issue understanding that getting your best scorers touches on offense typically lends itself to positive outcomes. 

I would never want a coach to do this but sometimes I want them to tell certain players, “if we are up or down by 2 possessions or less, you haven’t earned it to just let if fly.” Prime example, down by 7 points and JG decides to try an uncontested 3…like who is giving him the idea that that’s an acceptable decision??

Its decisions like that that derail our offense and prevents us from getting into a rhythm. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

One game …. yes, but there aren’t many winnable Big10 road games. This was one that we should win, so you can’t piss them away. We’ve now pissed two Big10 road games away.  Sure, it’s just one game (actually two now), but one game we’re likely going to be talking about at the end of the season when we fall just short of making the tourney again. Every SINGLE game counts. As far as importance, no kidding, for most of us it doesn’t rate high, but importance and caring are two separate things. Are the high important things in your life the only things you care about?

Exactly! Sure plenty of basketball but we’ve watched them be a bubble team the last 3-4 years because of some head scratching loses that come back to haunt us like this. 

This is a REALLY bad loss. We werent even receiving votes in the AP Poll and losing to the worst team in the conference is only making the NIT seem more likely at this rate. It was barely a road game, they had like maybe 500 fans there. 

• Like 1

My 2 cents:

I think Rob is making a strong case to be the starter at the point. 

Unfortunately our two best defenders can't really defend at their position. 

TJD isn't showing much interest in going to his right hand. 

I was hoping for more from Bates by this time. 

Its the Big Ten and road wins will be hard to come by. 

The difference with this loss and the other two, the other two losses had moments of us playing the best basketball we've played offensively. This not so much. Both teams hadn't played in a while and we were on the road. I would like to see CMW's reaction be change in the line-up if for nothing more than to send a message. If I was to hang a Least Valuable Player award on someone, I thought XJ was atrocious. 

• Like 2

This is exactly the type of loss that has us watching selection Sunday and lamenting the “what ifs.”  Yes, it is only one game for those who crave voice of reason, but it’s really not.  

It is a bad loss to a team, who, before last night had zero wins over the top 100.  It is a team with a first time D1 coach, who took a remade roster and won against an overwhelmingly more talented team.  

Further, IU has nothing of resume importance accomplished yet, will struggle to win on the road, and the recipe is present for us to miss the dance again.  

Yes, last night was one game, but it’s impact on NCAA resume was significant.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

It may be 1 game but it’s the continuation of the same problems.

Quite frankly it’s embarrassing that the  broadcast kept pointing out we hadn’t won a road game in almost a full calendar year - and I will further add that this road drought is with many of the same players.

If we can’t win on the road against maybe the worst team in the BIG ten where probably no more than 500 fans were present then we’re in trouble. Where does our next road win come? 

I said it before in this thread and I’ll say it again…we’re soft. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This.  Something that frustrates me more than the team losing a game we should win is all of the overreactions by fans when that happens.  

Meh.  What you call "overreactions" some might call "concern", "dissatisfaction", or even "passion."  Each to their own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was just frustrated last night and like others hated the loss last night.  It just gets old seeing the same people coming on here only when things go bad and tell you told you so.  I just think things would be better around the program as a whole if fans would be more positive and actually back the team.

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, rico said:

Meh.  What you call "overreactions" some might call "concern", "dissatisfaction", or even "passion."  Each to their own.

Exactly. There are a number of different ways to look at this loss, and none of them are really wrong. Yes, it's just one game, but it's certainly a significant step back from what we saw at Wisconsin, where we played one of the better halfs we've seen in a long, long time. In addition, we're clearly showing an issue down the stretch in games, whether it's guys getting tight, trying to do too much, or going soft. As others have noted, there are some serious holes in this team - Parker can shoot the lights out, but can't get open to do that, and he's pretty much useless outside of his ability to shoot, TJD still can't seem to finish around the rim, our basketball IQ is moronic at times (for example, Geronimo and Race both taking 3s in key situations early in the shot clock), FTs continue to be an issue, and on and on and on.

There's still time to turn things around this season, and I don't think anyone wants to fire CMW or anything crazy like that, but there are legitimate reasons to be concerned, too. It's a long season, but it's going to get really long if some of these things don't get fixed.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Anybody else expecting a line-up change against tOSU?

No...Someone else said it earlier in this thread...

Some of the younger players get their mistakes magnified while the more experienced players get a pass (not so much in CMW not pointing it out, but more in game time minutes)...

If we continue to struggle in conference play, there will eventually have to be a consideration of lineup changes...But I think Coach Woody believes our best chance to win is with the experienced players...

Until that day comes (if ever) expect TJD, Race, Stewart, Kopp, XJ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1