PSU Post Game Thread

Inequality

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I was just frustrated blast night and like others hated the loss last night.  It just gets old seeing the same people coming on here only when things go bad and tell you told you do.  I just think things would be better around the program as a whole if fans would be more positive and actually back the team.

its funny because you one of the people who come on here and say the same thing over and over.  Not starting a argument or anything but it goes both ways Scott. You repeat the same mantra all the time my man.  Go Hoosiers

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rico said:

Then after the Bucks beat us by 20?  lol

I think it'll take at least one more loss to a team we should beat...And that's not OSU...

Changing tracks, here's Micah Shrewsberry talking about the game...I didn't realize how big of an IU and Bob Knight fan he was growing up (talks about it during the presser)...

The other thing I took from this was the respect he had for Coach Woody's coaching chops (14 minute mark)...he said something I thought said a lot about where IU's problem really is...

(14:57) "Force those guys (IU players)...Take the pen out of (Coach Woodson's) hand and make the players make the decision."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

And I think this post game backs up what Shrewsberry said...Both Race and Trayce talk about what they worked on, versus what they actually did during the game...After listening to these two, where does the problem really lie?

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Hoosiers have a chance to take the sting out of this loss with a much needed win thursday over 13th ranked OSU. I personally think they will come out fired up and pull out the win and put this crap defeat behind them. 👍

They will come out fired up and flexing and swagging, but that bullspit only counts at the clubs on dance off nights. In the end when the money is on the line, we will find a way to trip over are two left feet. 

We need to quit acting like the Hoosier have been completely terrible this season. They have lost by a combined 10 points in three road games, yes that sucks but it's not like they didn't have a chance to win those games. Their biggest problem is at the end of those games was they lacked the mental fortitude to get over the hump in the closing minutes. That goes back to none of these players including the transfers having played on winning progams in college. That is something they need to develop if they want to get over the hump.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

We need to quit acting like the Hoosier have been completely terrible this season. They have lost by a combined 10 points in three road games, yes that sucks but it's not like they didn't have a chance to win those games. Their biggest problem is at the end of those games was they lacked the mental fortitude to get over the hump in the closing minutes. That goes back to none of these players including the transfers having played on winning progams in college. That is something they need to develop if they want to get over the hump.

While I agree with this, I think losing to a middle of the pack ACC team (even on the road), a middle of the pack Big 10 team, and a team that's probably going to finish 10th or lower in the Big 10 doesn't say anything more than mediocre. We (the fans) need to have a win to sink our teeth into, be it at home versus a contender, or on the road against,,,well, anybody...It's frustrating to see us struggle like this....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I agree with this, I think losing to a middle of the pack ACC team (even on the road), a middle of the pack Big 10 team, and a team that's probably going to finish 10th or lower in the Big 10 doesn't say anything more than mediocre. We (the fans) need to have a win to sink our teeth into, be it at home versus a contender, or on the road against,,,well, anybody...It's frustrating to see us struggle like this....

Text from my 84 year old aunt this morning. When is this $*(%*(#(#$ bs....$%%## going to stop? I only have a few more years left!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

But again, we’ve not played ANYBODY of stature…. so it’s very concerning. Outside of Wiscy, who isn’t very good this year and could easily find themselves on the bubble by the end of the year, who have we played that gives you confidence we can beat a decent team? 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well yeah i am not saying it is a good thing, but i will also bet you anything that those teams beat some other good teams at home. It's life on the road in college basketball.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

But again, we’ve not played ANYBODY of stature…. so it’s very concerning. Outside of Wiscy, who isn’t very good this year and could easily find themselves on the bubble by the end of the year, who have we played that gives you confidence we can beat a decent team? 

We also have a new coching staff and quite a few new players playing significant minutes. We have a team that is not used to winning, something that they have to work on and start developing that winning attitude.

While i am not happy with the loss i'm not going to press the panic button, it is a process and hopefully they start improving. 

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

I don't really see anyone pushing the panic button here. No one's calling for CMW's job, or wanted scholarships pulled, or anything like that. Some of us are just frustrated, and a part of that is we're seeing almost the exact same problems we saw with the previous coach, and the coach before that - in short, a perception of underachieving based on the talent that is on the floor. I expected a coach who played for RMK and has a long career in the NBA to put a team on the court that is mentally sound, and that doesn't seem to be happening, at least not yet. I expected some cohesive issues or struggles with a new system, etc. (the turnover issues weren't a big surprise, for example), but the lack of toughness has been unexpected, particularly with two seniors running the PG position. 

In short, this conference is going to chew this team up and spit it out if they don't get some mental fortitude, stat.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I don't really see anyone pushing the panic button here. No one's calling for CMW's job, or wanted scholarships pulled, or anything like that. Some of us are just frustrated, and a part of that is we're seeing almost the exact same problems we saw with the previous coach, and the coach before that - in short, a perception of underachieving based on the talent that is on the floor. I expected a coach who played for RMK and has a long career in the NBA to put a team on the court that is mentally sound, and that doesn't seem to be happening, at least not yet. I expected some cohesive issues or struggles with a new system, etc. (the turnover issues weren't a big surprise, for example), but the lack of toughness has been unexpected, particularly with two seniors running the PG position. 

In short, this conference is going to chew this team up and spit it out if they don't get some mental fortitude, stat.

Nobody is saying people are pressing the panic button. What i said was I'M not going to press it, not talking about other people.

Like you said this team needs to start getting tougher.

Edited by Hoosier51

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

When I first read this, it seemed like a completely unrelated comment.  After reflecting on it a bit, I wonder If university policies have created the extremely soft loser culture that seems embedded at IU.  Certainly, IU has success in baseball, soccer, women's basketball and swimming, but it seems like the flagship men's basketball and football are just soft and it makes me wonder how much of that softness comes from university administration intent on creating safe spaces and words that don't hurt or offend anyone.  Leaders like Kevin Wilson and Bob Knight were shown the door because they were too hard on kids.  Maybe they were, but a part of me can't help wonder if the pendulum has swung too far the other direction.  Seems like IU has a lot of nice kids and some solid talent but I don't see the fire needed to overcome an opponent having a good day.  I just don't see a team unwilling to accept defeat.

Is Woodson being held back by university policies designed to coddle kids and create protective bubbles around students?  I don't know, but I see disturbing signs that students and athletes are being protected from the harsh realities of a difficult and imperfect world and as a result, don't handle adversity very well when they encounter it.  That was apparent vs. Wisconsin and it appears it showed up in the effort today.  I find it hard to believe that Penn State has more talent than IU.  The only thing I can come up with is that IU has shown a pattern of softness that gives other Big Ten teams confidence that they can beat IU if they stay after it and keep fighting.  They know eventually IU will fold, especially in the absence of a friendly home crowd.  I don't see that being easy to reverse, especially when IU's players live in a soft culture of pronouns, safe spaces and participation trophies.  I hope Woody can create a killer instinct, but I haven't seen that with an IU team in more than 20 years and I don't see it this season either, even in the wins.  I hope it changes and I hope it changes soon, but absent evidence of any real mental toughness, I've learned to temper my expectations.

I will just say this isn’t just an IU issue.  This is a global issue where everyone is being coddled.  You can’t say anything that could be misconstrued or will hurt someone’s feelings.  Everyone gets a trophy and all that matters is you tried your best.  So many no longer work hard to get what they want and instead expect it to be handed to them.  At a college like IU it is exacerbated even more.  

It’s a really interesting question to me around coaching at IU and does the university need more grit in its leadership?  Makes me respect what a great job Morten has done.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

When I first read this, it seemed like a completely unrelated comment.  After reflecting on it a bit, I wonder If university policies have created the extremely soft loser culture that seems embedded at IU.  Certainly, IU has success in baseball, soccer, women's basketball and swimming, but it seems like the flagship men's basketball and football are just soft and it makes me wonder how much of that softness comes from university administration intent on creating safe spaces and words that don't hurt or offend anyone.  Leaders like Kevin Wilson and Bob Knight were shown the door because they were too hard on kids.  Maybe they were, but a part of me can't help wonder if the pendulum has swung too far the other direction.  Seems like IU has a lot of nice kids and some solid talent but I don't see the fire needed to overcome an opponent having a good day.  I just don't see a team unwilling to accept defeat.

Is Woodson being held back by university policies designed to coddle kids and create protective bubbles around students?  I don't know, but I see disturbing signs that students and athletes are being protected from the harsh realities of a difficult and imperfect world and as a result, don't handle adversity very well when they encounter it.  That was apparent vs. Wisconsin and it appears it showed up in the effort today.  I find it hard to believe that Penn State has more talent than IU.  The only thing I can come up with is that IU has shown a pattern of softness that gives other Big Ten teams confidence that they can beat IU if they stay after it and keep fighting.  They know eventually IU will fold, especially in the absence of a friendly home crowd.  I don't see that being easy to reverse, especially when IU's players live in a soft culture of pronouns, safe spaces and participation trophies.  I hope Woody can create a killer instinct, but I haven't seen that with an IU team in more than 20 years and I don't see it this season either, even in the wins.  I hope it changes and I hope it changes soon, but absent evidence of any real mental toughness, I've learned to temper my expectations.

But doesn't that beg the question, "does this extend to Coach Woodson's game decisions?" Because he has, in the immortal words of Bob Knight, "the greatest motivator in the world...your ass on the bench."

Coach Woody can create his own team internal competition with that tool alone...If he perceives someone playing "soft" that should be his first move...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But doesn't that beg the question, "does this extend to Coach Woodson's game decisions?" Because he has, in the immortal words of Bob Knight, "the greatest motivator in the world...your ass on the bench."

This is the one thing that frustrates me at times, Kopp, Parker, Bates and Johnson who if they play bad don't seem to have any conseguences to it.  And then you have Lander who can't even get in a game even though he has had some decent moments to go with his bad moments.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Last night a couple of guys said Woodson shouldn't be the coach and the AD needs fired 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is the one thing that frustrates me at times, Kopp, Parker, Bates and Johnson who if they play bad don't seem to have any conseguences to it.  And then you have Lander who can't even get in a game even though he has had some decent moments to go with his bad moments.

Well lady night Bates didn't see the floor in the second half and that is probably due to his play in the first half.  Also Parker was suspended for tbe first half the other game so it appears Woodson is holding players accountable.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last night a couple of guys said Woodson shouldn't be the coach and the AD needs fired 

FFS dude, you really need to accept that not everyone is going to think exactly like you do, and that there are going to be extreme outliers of opinions in pretty much any situation. As another poster noted, you just keep complaining about the same things over and over and over again. You found a couple of people caught up in the frustrations of the game, possibly fueled by alcohol, and you've turned that into "it's the fan's fault that the program is where it is," which is frankly kind of ridiculous. "A couple of guys" in a game thread does not equal the entire fanbase.

I guess because of people like you I have to amend my statement. The VAST MAJORITY of IU fans who aren't in the heat of the moment, who aren't trolling, and who are at least somewhat sober aren't calling for CMW's job.

• Like 5

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well lady night Bates didn't see the floor in the second half and that is probably due to his play in the first half.  Also Parker was suspended for tbe first half the other game so it appears Woodson is holding players accountable.

He was suspended in the first half for something off the court not his play, which we are talking about. I'll give you Bates last night, but that hasn't been a regular occurrence, he can play bad and still get plenty of minutes. He needs to be consistent with accountability and not just with one or two players.

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Hoosiers have a chance to take the sting out of this loss with a much needed win thursday over 13th ranked OSU. I personally think they will come out fired up and pull out the win and put this crap defeat behind them. 👍

Here's the thing, we could very well win against OSU at home, I almost expect it. The problem with this program and specific group of players is consistency. Time and time again this program wins a game against a good team at home, only to lose to a lesser team away. When is the last time we actually put together a winning streak in conference? Somebody please help me out.

I'll be cautiously optimistic once we stop having the constant let downs and show improvement, until then -- even if we do beat OSU -- I'm expecting more of the same...disappointment.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 3

I would like to see a shake up in our starting line up.  Its something I always hated with CAM and now I don't like with CMW.  Its the same 5 to start the game and the half regardless of how anyone is playing.

I would also like to see Kopp and Stewart in constant motion running off screen and across the court to get open.  Just standing waiting for the inside out pass from Trace or Race isn't going to get them enough shots.