PSU Post Game Thread

Inequality

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The lack of development and improvement from Bates, Geronimo and Lander is killing this team too. 

Those are by far the most athletic and potentially dynamic players on the roster, but to varying degrees none are improving or really making an impact. 

Where are we if Bates is having a Blake Wesley type of freshmen year and moving one of Stewart or Kopp to the bench? 

Where are we if Lander could play like a 5* guard?

Where are we if Geronimo was developing like a Troy Williams or OG? 

Great points.  Geronimo can contribute a lot right now IMO.  The rebounding numbers today were dismal.   He could have corrected that for stretches.  

Bates looks like he’s going to be here for three years.  I don’t see him flipping a switch.  He plays, but we could try to feature him more.  Stewart and Kopp combined were under 10 points.  Does that make sense?

Lander could at least be weaned in a little to help develop him.  There’s a double standard where we tolerate a lot of asinine play from XJ and Rob.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn’t watch the game because it’s a pro football Sunday. I recorded it so maybe I will look later to see what went wrong.

Looking at the box score, should we be running Stewart and even Kopp off s screens to get them open looks?

When we have stretches of not securing boards, especially at the defensive end, maybe a guy like Geronimo could fix that.   And he could be a screener too.  

Who do we have as a “plus” athlete for his position?  Not many.  And we are very unathletic at the wing.  You need skill too, I get that, but we don’t have the athleticism to be a top team.  But, to make chicken salad out of chicken-you-know-what for the time being, run shooters off screens, IMO.

I'm with you.  Run some plays to get open looks for Stewart and Kopp.  I would also like to see Geronimo more, but rather than having him in with the rest of the subs, I would like to see him in there with some combination of 3-4 of the starters.  Honestly, at this point, I think the bench needs to be shorted to Phinisee, Bates, and Geronimo and mix them in one or two at a time with the starters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The lack of development and improvement from Bates, Geronimo and Lander is killing this team too. 

Those are by far the most athletic and potentially dynamic players on the roster, but to varying degrees none are improving or really making an impact. 

Where are we if Bates is having a Blake Wesley type of freshmen year and moving one of Stewart or Kopp to the bench? 

Where are we if Lander could play like a 5* guard?

Where are we if Geronimo was developing like a Troy Williams or OG? 

The thing i don't understand is while Bates and Geronimo have some good moments they have also had some very bad moments but their playing time doesn't get affected, while Lander who has some good moments to go with his bad can't even get in the game. Also Durr doesn't seem to give much more then what Duncomb can but Logan doesn't get in a game either.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just a terrible loss. 

IU is still severely hampered as a program with our talent level at the guard and wing spots. 

I'm not talking about high school ranking, I mean actual college talent. We don't have shot makers. We don't have anyone on the wing or at the guard spots that can consistently break their man down and step back to knock jumpers and 3's down. 

PSU hit numerous difficult 3's as the shot clock was winding down, IU has nobody who can do that. 

Your post hits the nail on the head.  We are panicmeisters in clutch situations.  Helterskelter is the operative word in the last 3 minutes of a game.  Everyone guilty as charged.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rogermci said:

Your post hits the nail on the head.  We are panicmeisters in clutch situations.  Helterskelter is the operative word in the last 3 minutes of a game.  Everyone guilty as charged.   

Yep.  And as fans, we can sense what our players feel.  That spider sense is rarely wrong.  Like we know they are tight.   It used to be a plus in the Knight days where we felt like we’d figure it out.  I hope we can get back to that.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

The thing i don't understand is while Bates and Geronimo have some good moments they have also had some very bad moments but their playing time doesn't get affected, while Lander who has some good moments to go with his bad can't even get in the game. Also Durr doesn't seem to give much more then what Duncomb can but Logan doesn't get in a game either.

I also think Bates inpaticular is sometimes hampered by almost always being out there with the 2nd unit. 

Most of his minutes are with Phinisee, Leal, Geronimo and Durr. 

How would he look playing off TJD, X and Stewart for example? 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Do you really think lander and Parker are interchangeable? 

Today they were. If something is not working. go to something else. Remember we dont run an offense we run set plays of pick and roll. Stansbury said it best we knew what IU was going to do. We were well prepared defensively. 

8 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

I'm with you.  Run some plays to get open looks for Stewart and Kopp.  I would also like to see Geronimo more, but rather than having him in with the rest of the subs, I would like to see him in there with some combination of 3-4 of the starters.  Honestly, at this point, I think the bench needs to be shorted to Phinisee, Bates, and Geronimo and mix them in one or two at a time with the starters.

I don’t think Leal and Galloway should be completely left out. Both offer positive minutes the majority of time. But the key, and what we’re all saying, is that we don’t want wholesale changes. Mix the subs in with the starters depending on the game situation. 

• Like 1

Random thoughts. I’m working on a project tonight so that’s where my thoughts are.

Folks that are upset is a good thing. It shows they care. For as long as this program has been in the sewer, there are still fans hanging on.

When it quickly turns to apathy is when it’s sunk once again. Each year, the rope gets shorter.

I didn’t feel these guys had much emotion tonight. A bit from Trace and Race at times. Maybe Rob trying really hard for a couple minutes.

X is a 50/50 guy. Staff has to bring him off the bench or something different. It’s just who he is. They have to figure out how to utilize the good and reduce the bad.

This teams guard play is still hit and miss. I can’t imagine being any worse off getting reps from the other players on the bench. Maybe I’m wrong but I see great potential in Bates and Geronimo. 

Every game seems like a replay minus the opposing teams jersey. Tonight’s game in particular, was a near copy of last seasons results. I’m speaking of players and staff here. 

All that randomness said, it’s clear that IU still sucks on the road but there are plenty of games left to make up for this one. 🤞 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I also think Bates inpaticular is sometimes hampered by almost always being out there with the 2nd unit. 

That is something he will have to adjust to and get used to since him and Rob are the usually the first two off the bench, so he will mostly always be playing with the second unit. They can maybe give him some of Millers minutes early but to be honest i think Kopp would not be good with the second unit, he would force things more and i don't think that would be a good thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

That is something he will have to adjust to and get used to since him and Rob are the usually the first two off the bench, so he will mostly always be playing with the second unit. They can maybe give him some of Millers minutes early but to be honest i think Kopp would not be good with the second unit, he would force things more and i don't think that would be a good thing.

Agree, especially on your point about Kopp. He would not be good with the 2nd unit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This! I believe this in my bones!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Didn't watch the game, although I had it on DVR. I'll just erase it.

This loss pretty well completes my crappy sports week-end with losses for ND, Colts and Hoosiers.....

I literally slept through the entire game.  It wasn't intentional but I got in a nice nap on a crappy winter day.  Sounds like my time was well spent.  I won't bother going back and watching.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think it is time for me to take a break from message boards because there are to many morons on here who make be dumb statements.  It is always on the coach or the AD but maybe you need to look at the players as well.  We are now on our 6th coach and probably 5 AD's in the last 22 years so just changing coaches and AD's haven't changed a thing.  

I still stand by my thinking that our fans has been part of the problem.  Reading the game thread makes me think this more and more.

image.gif.b9081f5b5ced5989bf98f852b180836e.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Didn't watch the game, although I had it on DVR. I'll just erase it.

This loss pretty well completes my crappy sports week-end with losses for ND, Colts and Hoosiers.....

The Bengals won the AFC North, so the IU loss barely registered for me.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think Leal and Galloway should be completely left out. Both offer positive minutes the majority of time. But the key, and what we’re all saying, is that we don’t want wholesale changes. Mix the subs in with the starters depending on the game situation. 

Forgot about Galloway since he is injured.  I would include him in the mix as well.  If he can at least become an average outside shooter, with his passing abilities and energy, I think he can really help this team.  He may be our best passer after XJ.  

I've liked some of what I have seen from Leal too.   He got one look today.  One 3 from Leal today and we win.  With our current roster, if Stewart or Kopp are having off nights, might as well give Leal some minutes.

• Like 2

Does anyone else realize every team that plays IU knows TJD cannot do the following: Shoot with his right hand (including layups which are 75% of his shots, The other 25% are dunks). Shoot from outside 7 feet of the basket. And, although he shoots 60% from the field, that means he’s missing 40% of his lay ups/dunks. I’m predicting a 7-11 Big10 record… more of the same aka Archie Miller.

2 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

With our current roster, if Stewart or Kopp are having off nights, might as well give Leal some minutes.

Great point.  Looking at the box score, Stewart and Kopp played 60 combined minutes and contributed 7 total points.   That’s 60 minutes out of 300 total.  That’s way too big of a chunk of useless play.   Should not be tolerated by the staff.  Neither guy is athletic enough to do much else if they aren’t hitting jumpers.  

1. run them off screens 

2. Spread those minutes elsewhere.  Lot of ideas come to mind.  But don’t just accept that many minutes go blank.  Let Leal shoot.  Bring Geronimo in.   Let Bates get minutes.  Just don’t let 60 minutes/7 points from your starting wings happen again.

This wasn’t a great team we played.  Imagine this kind of output against more athletic teams in the conference.

Let this be the canary in the coal mine to make changes   Or else.

• Like 5