PSU Post Game Thread

Inequality

17 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Although I did not watch yesterdays game, I did watch a Youtube video by someone that does a lot of analysis of Indiana sports teams. Pacers, Colts, IU, Butler, and Purdont. In it, he mentioned something about Indiana has too many players trying to get "their points". He mentioned XJ in particular.

To those who watched the game, did anybody notice this?

There were a lot of shots taken early in the shot clock that could probably could be had at anytime.  Other than that, my amateur eyes did not notice anything like that.

• Like 3

My take on our problems.  I don't really think our players are that soft. I think it's all mental. Every time we step on the floor our opponent is playing against five time national champions and multiple big ten banners and the name on the jersey. We really do get every opponents best shot. We have to have hungry players who want to defend that and not live off of it. big difference there guys. 

Read through all the comments on this thread and the Apathy thread. Lots of good thoughts and theories.

Came to me that what hasn’t been discussed, and in my opinion is what’s missing, is that this team doesn’t have an on the floor leader. No one like Buckner, Zeke, Fife, Sheehey… Mike Lewis even. Someone who would get on their teammates when needed. Someone who wouldn’t take it from the opponents. Hell, Cody even whacked the Illinois big guy when he deserved it. Not sure we’re soft. Just know that leadership is something that doesn’t come naturally to a lot of guys. Hard for a new guy to assume that role. The best guy on the team is a great sound byte, but I don’t think he has it in him.

Hoping we can develop a leader. Coaches can only do so much. 

• Like 4

IMO, it’s a lack of talent in our 1-3 positions.  None of our 1-3 starters or bench players would start for any top 25 team.  It’s really as simple as that.  None of them can create for their own shot, except maybe Bates.  None of them can break a guy down for an easier entry pass.  And none of them possess high basketball IQ either.  

My solution, change of lineup.  Rob has outplayed X the last month.  Rob, Bates, Stewart, Race, TJD.  Kopp and Stewart are too much alike and shouldn’t start as wings together.  Bates brings more athleticism.   Kopp first man off the bench for Race.  Yes we’ll lose rebounding, but that allows a true 4 out.  Race subs back in for TJD when he needs a breather.  TJD shouldn’t play less than 34 minutes unless in foul trouble.  
Rob, Bates and Geronimo need to play more.  Kopp and X less.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

IMO, it’s a lack of talent in our 1-3 positions.  None of our 1-3 starters or bench players would start for any top 25 team.  It’s really as simple as that.  None of them can create for their own shot, except maybe Bates.  None of them can break a guy down for an easier entry pass.  And none of them possess high basketball IQ either.  

My solution, change of lineup.  Rob has outplayed X the last month.  Rob, Bates, Stewart, Race, TJD.  Kopp and Stewart are too much alike and shouldn’t start as wings together.  Bates brings more athleticism.   Kopp first man off the bench for Race.  Yes we’ll lose rebounding, but that allows a true 4 out.  Race subs back in for TJD when he needs a breather.  TJD shouldn’t play less than 34 minutes unless in foul trouble.  

I am afraid if you put Rob back in the hot seat he will go back to dribbling it into the floor.  We're getting his best because he doesn't have to be the "Starter".

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

I think Rob is in the perfect spot for him, let the game settle in and he can join the flow. I think he plays better when he doesn't have to start. Also Kopp being the first man off the bench means he would probably try to force things more since they would need the bench scoring. Do we really want Miller doing anything more then being a catch and shooter player.

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think Rob is in the perfect spot for him, let the game settle in and he can join the flow. I think he plays better when he doesn't have to start. Also Kopp being the first man off the bench means he would probably try to force things more since they would need the bench scoring. Do we really want Miller doing anything more then being a catch and shooter player.

I agree he’s looked better in that role, or has he looked better just in general with CMW?  We haven’t seen him start under CMW.  What we have seen is X and it’s not working well. Kopp being first off the bench means he’s with 4 other starters, not 4 other bench players (that nba style subbing has to stop), and then a couple other subs mixed in before he’s back out.  

4 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

I agree he’s looked better in that role, or has he looked better just in general with CMW?  We haven’t seen him start under CMW.  What we have seen is X and it’s not working well. Kopp being first off the bench means he’s with 4 other starters, not 4 other bench players (that nba style subbing has to stop), and then a couple other subs mixed in before he’s back out.  

I do agree that they might need to change the lineup some, but i really think Rob is in the perfect spot for him.

Just now, jojo123 said:

We have way too many turn overs and bad shots. We need to slow down and bit and run an offense with a lot of screens se we can get more open looks. Change the starting lineup. I would like to see Durr start at center and TJD and Kopp at Forward with Rob and Parker at G 

We only had 6 turnovers in the PSU game.  Also I think we played to much in tbe half court against them.  We needed to play at a faster pace against PSU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

We only had 6 turnovers in the PSU game.  Also I think we played to much in tbe half court against them.  We needed to play at a faster pace against PSU.

We don’t agree much (feel like that’s a common theme with you), but I think you’re spot on with this one. If we aren’t going to knock down outside shots, we needed to push it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We don’t agree much (feel like that’s a common theme with you), but I think you’re spot on with this one. If we aren’t going to knock down outside shots, we needed to push it. 

If you look at the post game interview with Race and Trayce, Trayce said it was a point of emphasis in practices last week to push the ball and get into transition quickly...

That didn't happen and I lay some of that at the collective PGs feet...

But, on the other hand, you have to rebound on the defensive end to get that started...

• Like 1