Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's already starting to set in for me. We have a very lame resumé and we've lost our most significant games. Maybe we still make the NCAA's but I doubt it. Seems like no matter how many times we change coaches, the results just don't improve. This program is broken and I'm not sure how it ever gets fixed. 

  • Like 9
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's already starting to set in for me. We have a very lame resumé and we've lost our most significant games. Maybe we still make the NCAA's but I doubt it. Seems like no matter how many times we change coaches, the results just don't improve. This program is broken and I'm not sure how it ever gets fixed. 

Sadly, I feel the same way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's already starting to set in for me. We have a very lame resumé and we've lost our most significant games. Maybe we still make the NCAA's but I doubt it. Seems like no matter how many times we change coaches, the results just don't improve. This program is broken and I'm not sure how it ever gets fixed. 

Sadly I think the Nebraska football comparison is accurate 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem isn’t X’s and O’s it’s Jimmies and Joes. This team doesn’t have the athleticism and playmaking to win consistently. That will take a year or 2 to fix. I’m confident this team will get some wins to bolster the resume in the conference. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The problem isn’t X’s and O’s it’s Jimmies and Joes. This team doesn’t have the athleticism and playmaking to win consistently. That will take a year or 2 to fix. I’m confident this team will get some wins to bolster the resume in the conference. 

Agree, and before someone says it yes I understand we have more talent than PSU, but we still don't have elite, top-end conference talent. 

We still have two bigs that can't shoot. We still have point guards that can't shoot. We still have unathletic wings that can't create shots. 

Talent-wise, we're a little better than last year because of experience, depth (XJ and Phinisee) and the improved wing spot-up shooting. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The problem isn’t X’s and O’s it’s Jimmies and Joes. This team doesn’t have the athleticism and playmaking to win consistently. That will take a year or 2 to fix. I’m confident this team will get some wins to bolster the resume in the conference. 

We are the Wisconsin's and Northwestern's of the 80's and early 90's. No longer feared with low to mid-level talent. I care about the Hoosier's but I am not invested like I was for years. I expect us to lose and no longer plan my day/evening around them. Sometimes I don't even bother to watch or when watching turn the channel to something worthwhile. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Apathy? Never. Apathy is when you don't race to a message board to post a new topic after the 3rd conference game in a season. Frustrated? Sure. Ticked at some of our guys? Sure....but apathy? That's for the professional teams in my life....never my college teams.

Of course everyone has their own opinion but never apathy with IU Hoops. Ticked, pissed,etc...but never that. Just my two cents.

 

I think there are varying degrees of apathy involved here. I haven't watched a Pacers game in years. I follow the Detroit Tigers, but haven't watched a game with any serious interest since probably 2017. Heck, I haven't even seen all the Colts games this year. 

 

When it comes to college teams, I also find it harder to look away, but it's gotten a lot easier recently. I didn't see the entire game today. I had to miss the first half against Notre Dame and wasn't bothered by it. That never would have happened even as recently as 3-4 years ago. I guess I'm just burned out by our consistent, long-term failure. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and before someone says it yes I understand we have more talent than PSU, but we still don't have elite, top-end conference talent. 

We still have two bigs that can't shoot. We still have point guards that can't shoot. We still have unathletic wings that can't create shots. 

Talent-wise, we're a little better than last year because of experience, depth (XJ and Phinisee) and the improved wing spot-up shooting. 

You can’t win when your best player is a big. That’s why typically Purdue and other B1G teams choke in the tournament. Purdues exceptions came with Edward's and this year with Ivey “potentially”. IU lacks athleticism and playmakers like you said. That will change moving forward as younger guys on the roster develop and incoming players make it to campus. Until then it could be a roller coaster but I do expect IU to get some quality wins during conference play.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

 

We still have two bigs that can't shoot. We still have point guards that can't shoot. We still have unathletic wings that can't create shots. 

Never really thought of it that way across all positions.

Also throw in that we don’t have a two guard that can hit threes and create their own shot.  Really don’t have a “complete” high level player at any position.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

We are the Wisconsin's and Northwestern's of the 80's and early 90's. No longer feared with low to mid-level talent. I care about the Hoosier's but I am not invested like I was for years. I expect us to lose and no longer plan my day/evening around them. Sometimes I don't even bother to watch or when watching turn the channel to something worthwhile. 

Program has been on a steady downward spiral since after/around 1994.  More or less around 30 years.  My hope at this point is just make it to the tournament every couple of years and maybe win a game or two.  Other than that, I don't have any expectations anymore to be honest, just easier that way.  Hope they turn it around, but not holding my breath or going to over-invest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have to admit I wasn’t very surprised losing this game…probably apathy unfortunately.  Shouldn’t be a loss for IU any year, especially with a new coach at PSU.  We need to have a junk yard dawg, aggressive mentality on both ends.  I just don’t see it.   Getting out rebounded by 10 and lower shooting percentages at all ranges will lose.  These kids need to get aggressive.  Woody deserves some time, obviously he knows hoops.  Hopefully we make the tournament but a lot has to improve quickly.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

Sadly I think the Nebraska football comparison is accurate 

No way!

Nebraska is a result of:

1.  Tougher conference

2.  Modern football 

3.  With every team on tv why leave Texas or California to play there?

4.  Dr Tom ain’t walking through that door 

5.  Nebraska is not in a hotbed for anything but corn 🌽 

 

IU:  Kids still want to play there.  Located in the center of the basketball universe.   Woodson is getting recruits to commit & visit.  Not like He & Motta forgot how to coach 

attendance & attention…no conference can touch the Big Ten 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

No way!

Nebraska is a result of:

1.  Tougher conference

2.  Modern football 

3.  With every team on tv why leave Texas or California to play there?

4.  Dr Tom ain’t walking through that door 

5.  Nebraska is not in a hotbed for anything but corn 🌽 

 

IU:  Kids still want to play there.  Located in the center of the basketball universe.   Woodson is getting recruits to commit & visit.  Not like He & Motta forgot how to coach 

attendance & attention…no conference can touch the Big Ten 

Results on the field/ court.  IU basketball = Nebraska football.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of you need to relax. No coach was going to come in and fix everything in a single season. Let things play out and see if we make the tournament before everyone starts jumping off a cliff. The constant negativity is exhausting if this team loses a ton of conference games then fine but until then everyone needs to relax and give Woody the chance he deserves. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Some of you need to relax. No coach was going to come in and fix everything in a single season. Let things play out and see if we make the tournament before everyone starts jumping off a cliff. The constant negativity is exhausting if this team loses a ton of conference games then fine but until then everyone needs to relax and give Woody the chance he deserves. 

I think part of the frustration is that THIS team has better pieces and should be better than year’s past. Couple that with CMW’s comment that he wasn’t coming in to rebuild, people are rightfully frustrated. We’ve lost three games now to less talented teams because we didn’t show up to play 40 minutes. If those losses were to MSU, OSU, or any of the top teams, then fine. But they’ve been to less talented teams bc we weren’t ready to play. CMW has been on the job for 9 months. That not long enough to gel or improve as a team beyond what we already had? Because we look no different than the last three years. With that said, I’m not off the CMW bandwagon, just don’t think from a “coaching” perspective he’s done well enough yet. Hopefully it changes soon, and it should because our schedule is weak compared to most years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a transitional season - I am not expecting us to be world beaters, but I do expect us to fight and compete hard every game. I can’t stand seeing our team get out hustled by another team with less talent, but more guts. That’s what happened last night. I kind of thought Fife’s attitude would rub off more on them. 

I’mm reserving judgement for now, but will be pissed if we lay an egg against OSU at home. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Never really thought of it that way across all positions.

Also throw in that we don’t have a two guard that can hit threes and create their own shot.  Really don’t have a “complete” high level player at any position.

Thats why we need an offense that does

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe we need to come to the realization that we will not get back to what we were from 73-94.  We are on our 6th coach and 5th AD and none have totally turned us around.  We had one coach when it came to coaching was good but he brought in drug users and pimps.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe we need to come to the realization that we will not get back to what we were from 73-94.  We are on our 6th coach and 5th AD and none have totally turned us around.  We had one coach when it came to coaching was good but he brought in drug users and pimps.

Honest question.  What do you think is the reason for 30 years of inconsistent and subpar basketball is?  Bad hires?  Administration mismanagement?  To focused on "Indiana" players?  Not enough "Indiana" Players?  University Culture? Conspiracy to kill IU basketball at the highest levels as retaliation for Bon Knight?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Honest question.  What do you think is the reason for 30 years of inconsistent and subpar basketball is?  Bad hires?  Administration mismanagement?  To focused on "Indiana" players?  Not enough "Indiana" Players?  University Culture? Conspiracy to kill IU basketball at the highest levels as retaliation for Bon Knight?

 

I think college basketball has changed over the years and we have not adapted as well.  Recruiting is so different now where it is more national.  Some of it can be old timers like myself who don't like change and want to keep the same traditions.  The candy stripes, AH and other things that can change that can help get more modern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would also like to see IU have an actual student section.  I would take the first 10 rows on each side plus all the seats behind both baskets.  I think IU bow down to the rich donors to much for seating. Because I think it makes a difference when you have students around the court.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...