Apathy

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think IU fans give a hoot who we recruit as long as we’re relevant and/or win. The best players combined with the best people is who I hope we recruit. No matter white, black, purple, green, yellow, etc. IF we’re only recruiting a certain color of kids bc of their color, that’s ridiculous. We’re beyond that nonsense. 

Yeah, that was post was ridiculous and less relevant than the s*** storm I've created. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL...yeah.  I lived everyone of the Knight years.  And more often than not each year was enjoyable.  I don't have much of an ear for anyone dissing him that wasn't around when he was the best in the business.

That is what is wrong with the younger generation.  If they didn't see it happen then it isn't important or it didn't happen bat all.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is what is wrong with the younger generation.  If they didn't see it happen then it isn't important or it didn't happen bat all.

LOL 

We have been a disaster for 21 years, Scott. You read what you wanted to read in my replies. "what's wrong with the younger generation" who raised that generation? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again, @btownqb isn't saying what Knight did isn't important. He never said that. You always put this type of thing out there...it's a strawman. 

What he and others have said over the years is too certainly celebrate and honor Knight and the past, but you can't let it prevent you from evolving and adapting. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I assume I know why that happened. But again... that was, what? 17 years ago ish? 

To some, myself included, think that our excellence may have been extended (and yes, I'm including Knight's last 5 years...they were terrible by IU standards, but acceptable by most...we were still winning 20 games a year and making the NCAA, we just weren't competing for NCs). Instead, it was burned to the ground, with the first 3 years of the Crean era (no slight to CTC) being living evidence of that...That is going to sting to a fan base that is use to winning...

The administration certainly could have handled the Knight firing and subsequent years differently...But RMK had made his enimies in the press years before, and once they saw the opening, they took it...Hell, Woody Hayes punched an opposing player during a game and wasn't treated as shabbily by Ohio State (he continued to teach there and honored in many other ways)...

"Woody Hayes was honored in many ways in his life. He was named Head Football Coach and Professor Emeritus in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation in 1979 by The Ohio State University Board of Trustees. Also in 1979, the University’s Development Fund established a scholarship in the names of Woody and Anne Hayes which helps student athletes attend Ohio State’s professional and graduate schools. Part of West Woodruff Avenue on campus was named for Hayes by the University in 1982 as Woody Hayes Drive. In 1986 Hayes received an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree from Ohio State on the occasion of his being the Commencement speaker on March 21, 1986. Woody Hayes was the subject of many stories, television shows and documentaries as the quintessential college football coach."

As far as the "s**t storm" you think you created...This is a forum...people come here to comment and discuss, even contentiously at times, all things IU basketball...among other things ;) 

It's all good @btownqb...I've always thought very highly of you...Ironing out differences of opinion isn't anything to worry about...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1. I was 9 years old when he was fired, so I have no knowledge of how the Admin treat RMK for years. None, literally I know nothing about that. 

2. I am glad Woodson is our coach. 100% happy. Him being a part of Knight's teams had nothing to do with it, though. Dude is stupid qualified for the job, and I wanted a more NBA approach to things. I have literally been behind this hire from the beginning, and I still am. The admin was stupid to not consider him before now. Please stop responding like I have a problem with the Woodson hire. I was simply responding to one Knight post. I'm not upset about anything other than Armaan Franklin leaving. We need more dudes that can get their own off the bounce. 

4. You talk about the program you had as a kid, I've never had that program at all. Or even close to it.

Sorry for the list, but it was the easiest way to respond, I felt. 

Btown, you saying you were 9 when Knight was fired just made me realize I am really, really old! Thank you my friend. LOL

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To some, myself included, think that our excellence may have been extended (and yes, I'm including Knight's last 5 years...they were terrible by IU standards, but acceptable by most...we were still winning 20 games a year and making the NCAA, we just weren't competing for NCs). Instead, it was burned to the ground, with the first 3 years of the Crean era (no slight to CTC) being living evidence of that...That is going to sting to a fan base that is use to winning...

The administration certainly could have handled the Knight firing and subsequent years differently...But RMK had made his enimies in the press years before, and once they saw the opening, they took it...Hell, Woody Hayes punched an opposing player during a game and wasn't treated as shabbily by Ohio State (he continued to teach there and honored in many other ways...

"Woody Hayes was honored in many ways in his life. He was named Head Football Coach and Professor Emeritus in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation in 1979 by The Ohio State University Board of Trustees. Also in 1979, the University’s Development Fund established a scholarship in the names of Woody and Anne Hayes which helps student athletes attend Ohio State’s professional and graduate schools. Part of West Woodruff Avenue on campus was named for Hayes by the University in 1982 as Woody Hayes Drive. In 1986 Hayes received an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree from Ohio State on the occasion of his being the Commencement speaker on March 21, 1986. Woody Hayes was the subject of many stories, television shows and documentaries as the quintessential college football coach."

As far as the "s**t storm" you think you created...This is a forum...people come here to comment and discuss, even contentiously at times, all things IU basketball...among other things ;) 

It's all good @btownqb...I've always thought very highly of you...Ironing out differences of opinion isn't anything to worry about...

I was trying to laugh at myself at that point lol 

It's all good. Go Hoosiers. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But it does give you maybe a little perspective of my opinion, right? lol 

Of course. I can see both sides of the story. I just wish you were around back in the 70's. It might change your view just a little bit. It felt so good to be feared and for other teams and their fan base to be jealous of us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was trying to laugh at myself at that point lol 

It's all good. Go Hoosiers. 

I understood that, but I just wanted you to know that I really do try to embrace other view points, and explain why I might think differently...

You probably weren't on IU forums when RMK was fired, but let me tell you, it was like the wild west...Pro Knight factions, Anti-Knight factions, and that was just within the IU fandom...Add opposing teams interlopers and it was a free for all...I posted on the Indy Star News forum at the time, and it was nuts...

Maybe that's what took me a while to understand what this forum is about (although I readily admit, I don't FULLY understand it :) )

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

Of course. I can see both sides of the story. I just wish you were around back in the 70's. It might change your view just a little bit. It felt so good to be feared and for other teams and their fan base to be jealous of us. 

I want that. I do. I just kind of want to do it without looking at a picture of RMK while we do it. I love Woodson though, I never meant for it to seem like I don't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I understood that, but I just wanted you to know that I really do try to embrace other view points, and explain why I might think differently...

You probably weren't on IU forums at that time, but let me tell you, it was like the wild west...Pro Knight factions, Anti-Knight factions, and that was just within the IU fandom...Add opposing teams interlopers and it was a free for all...I posted on the INdy Star News forum at the time, and it was wild...

Maybe that's what took me a while to understand what this forum is about (although I readily admit, I don't FULLY understand it :) )

This forum is really good. I basically don't post on others because this one is so good. I was on the Scout site for about 6 months when I was like 19... and then these guys all broke off and did their own thing, and I followed. 

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It happened...The administration wanted to push RMK as far away from Indiana and Indiana basketball as far as possible...And that was hard for a lot of people to swallow...Subsequent decisions, most notably President Adam Herbert over ruling AD Greenspan hiring John Beilein and instead pushing for Kelvin Sampson, who was already running from the NCAA over violations at Oklahoma, let people know that the administration wasn't acting in the best interest of the program...

The zero tolerance policy they put on him on set him up. What he ultimately got fired for was dumb. 

I eventually got over it. I was so pissed when they hired Sampson though.  Almost like they did it on purpose?  And then the University basically death penaltied the program. It's what they did after Knight that was egregious.

• Like 3

Side rant time! I have met a good amount of pro athletes and a few other celebrities during my life, but the only time I was truly "starstruck" was the time I was in high school standing outside the buildings side/back doors after lunch waiting for the bell to ring with a few friends. I see a car park and a large man get out and start walking right towards us/the doors. When he gets about halfway to us I can tell it is Coach Knight. He walked right past us and I froze. I wish I had tried to get a conversation started with him, but like I said, it was the one time I was really in awe of someone in person. This was in the 90s and he was recruiting a classmate of mine who eventually went to O$U.

• Like 1