Apathy

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I assume I know why that happened. But again... that was, what? 17 years ago ish? 

The difference i see is that 17 year ago to you was most of if not all of your adult life.  The older you get, the less 15-20 years starts to matter to you in the scope of things.  So for you to say it was 17 years ago, is well not that long to many and is still a vibrant memory to them.  Where as to use you as an example, were probably in your early teens and IU basketball and Knight in general wasn't that important in your life.  Its generational only in the fact that you weren't alive long enough to be engrained in IU/Knight culture.  Not your fault, just like its not anyone fault who actually remember, experienced and appreciate CRMK for what he did/was to the program.  Both good and Bad.

I think the biggest reason you hear everyone speak of CRMK is that he was the last true winning coach at IU and those old enough to have witnessed it, well, it does mean something to them still.   Hard to let go of the past, when it was so good, and the present/future has been or looks so bleak.  I hope CMW cam change all that and the Fife after him.  I don't know yet, we will have to see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It happened...The administration wanted to push RMK as far away from Indiana and Indiana basketball as far as possible...And that was hard for a lot of people to swallow...Subsequent decisions, most notably President Adam Herbert over ruling AD Greenspan hiring John Beilein and instead pushing for Kelvin Sampson, who was already running from the NCAA over violations at Oklahoma, let people know that the administration wasn't acting in the best interest of the program...

Yeah, that firing was just the first sign that IU had an inept administration and unfortunately, the board of trustees has tolerated and even encouraged that ineptness to the detriment of both academics and athletics.  Sure, there are aspects of IU that are still topnotch, but IMO, decades of bad decisions and incompetent leadership has tarnished the brand and very much impeded real progress.  There's another state school that we love to dis that has appeared to make better decisions over the last, say 20-30 years and appear to be trending in a better direction as a result.  I'm at least initially encouraged by the new president IU hired to lead, but even if she is an A+ hire, you don't fix decades of incompetent leadership in a few years.  Hopefully, she proves to be the first in a string of strong administrators that propels IU forward both academically and athletically.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 10:35 AM, IUFLA said:

I understood that, but I just wanted you to know that I really do try to embrace other view points, and explain why I might think differently...

You probably weren't on IU forums when RMK was fired, but let me tell you, it was like the wild west...Pro Knight factions, Anti-Knight factions, and that was just within the IU fandom...Add opposing teams interlopers and it was a free for all...I posted on the Indy Star News forum at the time, and it was nuts...

Maybe that's what took me a while to understand what this forum is about (although I readily admit, I don't FULLY understand it :) )

Ah, yes. There were the "loopers." Those guys were obsessed and certainly wouldn't let it go.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, mrflynn03 said:

The zero tolerance policy they put on him on set him up. What he ultimately got fired for was dumb. 

I eventually got over it. I was so pissed when they hired Sampson though.  Almost like they did it on purpose?  And then the University basically death penaltied the program. It's what they did after Knight that was egregious.

I think this is part of the reason some people still cling to Knight. The way the school went about firing him was pretty ball-less. If they wanted him gone they should've just fired him, citing his behavior or the fall off in the product on the floor. Instead, they came up with a convoluted way to set him up to be fired hoping they wouldn't get blamed for firing him. Yet it was so transparent that it backfired. 

They followed this up with bad hire after bad hire. 

I'm with @btownqb and think people have a hard time letting go of the past but I can certainly see why. It was not just that the coach they loved was fired but how it happened and then what came after.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Ah, yes. There were the "loopers." Those guys were obsessed and certainly wouldn't let it go.

I think this is part of the reason some people still cling to Knight. The way the school went about firing him was pretty ball-less. If they wanted him gone they should've just fired him, citing his behavior or the fall off in the product on the floor. Instead, they came up with a convoluted way to set him up to be fired hoping they wouldn't get blamed for firing him. Yet it was so transparent that it backfired. 

I'm with @btownqb and think people have a hard time letting go of the past but I can certainly see why. It was not just that the coach they loved was fired but how it happened and then what came after.

I feel like for 20 years the university hasn't wanted the basketball team to succeed.  But maybe now it is slowly starting to change and hopefully we can try to get back on track to being a top basketball school again.  I have hope, i hope

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm simply speaking in terms of Xs and Os, game plans, things like that. On the court stuff. I have never understood why we can't get away and do things differently then he did them, and still be successful. I mean, I read two references THIS week about "what RMK would do". It's sillly, the man hasn't been a coach in 13-14 years. 

I'm a lot more worried how Jay Wright, Bill Self, and Scott Drew do things. Those coaches are currently doing very well in the CBB world. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

1. What the heck is this song?

2. How are you familiar with it?  😄😄

LOL!! I was Googling around for a movie quote I had stuck in my mind about how "All is forgiven", since "winning cures all", and because the Hoosiers had finally won a road game. So, long story short, I never found the quote, probably because I was drunk, but I did come across this little crime against humanity. I watched it and laughed harder than I have since before the pandemic, so I thought to myself...  "I'm posting this travesty".  Because, like I said, I was drunk. I had never seen it before or heard of the band. I'm glad that you appreciated it. LOL. :) Go Hoosiers. Beat Purdue!!! And for the record, this is the first time in at least 3 or so years that I have enjoyed watching IU basketball. No apathy here. We have a team that plays hard, cares about IU, and is improving every week. That's all I ask. Red Siren Rules!!! :) 

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I feel like for 20 years the university hasn't wanted the basketball team to succeed.  But maybe now it is slowly starting to change and hopefully we can try to get back on track to being a top basketball school again.  I have hope, i hope

We now have A President at IU that understands the importance of Sports to the University. The game I went to she was on the court with Dolson giving an award to the equipment mgr. You never saw McRobbie doing that.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not feeling apathy. Angry. Disappointed. Frustrated. 

Trying to see the positive. CMW is doing what he knows to be right. He has to establish the culture. Pretty clear he has a large number of players that don't understand or are not willing to put team over self. It's a fight that has some challenges he did not see as a player but are necessary to fight through. The current mindset of kids. The portal option. Both are fighting against what he is trying to build. But if you want the IU of old then you have to build it from the ground up. 

I feel safe saying there is no other coach in the country that would suspend five at one time for team rules violations, especially when the season hangs in the balance.

What should happen is TJD and Race, the true leaders of the team, should call them together and make it clear this is not acceptable. What these five did was disrespect their teammates, coaches, and the fans. They may have just stolen the tournament from guys who've worked like crazy to get in for the first time.

All I want from the five now is to show up, follow the rules, and  play all out. I don't need to hear anything from them. I'd prefer not to hear excuses or apologies - they can do that with their team and the coaches. I don't need to see them in the news, pre-game, post-game, blogs, tweets, etc. Just show up. Play hard. Keep your mouths shut.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Not feeling apathy. Angry. Disappointed. Frustrated. 

Trying to see the positive. CMW is doing what he knows to be right. He has to establish the culture. Pretty clear he has a large number of players that don't understand or are not willing to put team over self. It's a fight that has some challenges he did not see as a player but are necessary to fight through. The current mindset of kids. The portal option. Both are fighting against what he is trying to build. But if you want the IU of old then you have to build it from the ground up. 

I feel safe saying there is no other coach in the country that would suspend five at one time for team rules violations, especially when the season hangs in the balance.

What should happen is TJD and Race, the true leaders of the team, should call them together and make it clear this is not acceptable. What these five did was disrespect their teammates, coaches, and the fans. They may have just stolen the tournament from guys who've worked like crazy to get in for the first time.

All I want from the five now is to show up, follow the rules, and  play all out. I don't need to hear anything from them. I'd prefer not to hear excuses or apologies - they can do that with their team and the coaches. I don't need to see them in the news, pre-game, post-game, blogs, tweets, etc. Just show up. Play hard. Keep your mouths shut.

This post x 1,000! I watched more of the Il. vs. Peeyew game last night. While watching I thought here are 2 teams where they are in an important game, and you didn't hear about any suspensions. Their players knew what was at stake. Indiana players? Indiana players apparently don't care....