Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

how would trey cut into XJ's minutes?

you would think it would be more of Kopp, P stew, and Bates. XJ, RP, or KL have to be on the floor to run the point

Agree. One thing we have to be careful of, Galloway is more of a point forward, he's not a point guard. 

The value in that is having him play alongside our point guards as another ball handler and a guy that is smart and can push the pace. You don't really want him replacing the point guards. Being a point guard is an entire different thing than being a wing that can push the pace at times, run the break, etc. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

This might sound odd, but Trey might be our 2nd most skilled offensively player 😂

He passes well, cuts well, consistently breaks his man down off the dribble, finishes reasonably well, will offensive rebound well with time(maybe does now, not sure)... again.. and overall won't hurt you, often. 

🤷‍♂️

Idk. But tonight felt good for the team, I'm sure. 

I think that in terms of knowing HOW to play (instinct and Basketball IQ), you could argue that Galloway and Leal are our two best examples, Race is maybe next on the list...I actually think that Rob deserves more credit than he gets in that category...

Our two best players at entering the ball into the post are Leal and Galloway...

Our two best players of seeing the game two passes ahead and moving it so that it doesn't get "stuck" are Leal and Galloway...

Leal and Galloway do the best job of delivering the ball to the right player at the right place at the right time (watch how our point guards are two steps late in getting the ball to shooters or cutters...our actions work but we don't have the instinct or confidence to deliver the ball where it needs to go when it needs to get there...

Our two best cutters, not always to score, but to create movement and to force the defense to make decisions, are Leal and Galloway...Both players attack a zone intelligently and selflessly...(OSU played one possession of zone and Galloway made a great pass, on time and on target, to Race for a bucket)

Galloway is our best transition player in terms of pushing the ball, making the right decision, and the guy has the best layup package on the team...Leal actually runs the floor really well too...

I am with people saying that Parker and Kopp should be in opposite rotations of each other, give each player 20 minutes, but not at the same time...(maybe reduce each to 17 and give Leal three minutes each half as well)...I am amazed that we can hold up defensively with both of them on the floor, because neither of them can stay in front of anyone...

The other guard spot I would split between Galloway and Bates, maybe something like 25 and 15...(playing both X and Rob together is useful though and complicates this rotation)

• Like 6

I think someone brought it up on here or maybe it was on twitter. Our 3 losses to Cuse, Wisconsin, and Penn St all came down to one possession here or there. Healthy Trey may have been helpful?

Onto Minnesota. Early Sunday games always are the ones you have to create your own energy. Hopefully Coach spends the weekend drilling that into the kids heads.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is no reason to. The exact opposite of what they do in the NBA. One really good 19 minute segment doesn't mean you should start. Roll with how it works, not how you want it to work. (I don't actually mean "you"). You can't have 4 complete non shooters out there on the court. 

I was thinking about your post last night saying we can't have that many non shooters on the floor at the start of the game, and you're right...

Trey coming off the bench makes more sense...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I think that in terms of knowing HOW to play (instinct and Basketball IQ), you could argue that Galloway and Leal are our two best examples, Race is maybe next on the list...I actually think that Rob deserves more credit than he gets in that category...

Our two best players at entering the ball into the post are Leal and Galloway...

Our two best players of seeing the game two passes ahead and moving it so that it doesn't get "stuck" are Leal and Galloway...

Leal and Galloway do the best job of delivering the ball to the right player at the right place at the right time (watch how our point guards are two steps late in getting the ball to shooters or cutters...our actions work but we don't have the instinct or confidence to deliver the ball where it needs to go when it needs to get there...

Our two best cutters, not always to score, but to create movement and to force the defense to make decisions, are Leal and Galloway...Both players attack a zone intelligently and selflessly...(OSU played one possession of zone and Galloway made a great pass, on time and on target, to Race for a bucket)

Galloway is our best transition player in terms of pushing the ball, making the right decision, and the guy has the best layup package on the team...Leal actually runs the floor really well too...

I am with people saying that Parker and Kopp should be in opposite rotations of each other, give each player 20 minutes, but not at the same time...(maybe reduce each to 17 and give Leal three minutes each half as well)...I am amazed that we can hold up defensively with both of them on the floor, because neither of them can stay in front of anyone...

The other guard spot I would split between Galloway and Bates, maybe something like 25 and 15...(playing both X and Rob together is useful though and complicates this rotation)

I don't really enjoy lineup discussions. But, I agree, Leal and Galloway are incredibly smart. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I was thinking about your post last night saying we can't have that many non shooters on the floor at the start of the game, and you're right...

Trey coming off the bench makes more sense...

I think so. I think there are 18-25 mins, at least for him, but he's a "unique" player. Very Rondo (ish) lol 

4 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I'm really hoping that Leal and Galloway make an impact in their Jr/Sr years like those guys I envy Purdue and Wisconsin for having. But both of their shots have to fall in order for them to make that next leap up though. 

I know shooting close to 40% from 3 aint easy, but if somehow Tre can approach that number, you'd have to think his ceiling would be 2nd-3rd team All Big Ten. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Meechie Johnson in his post game: "It's a gym I always wanted to play in. The best gym I've played in in college."

Way to go, Hoosier Nation!

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He could always transfer 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Hey, I'd take him...He's gonna be a good player in this league...

You never know. This was Miller Kopp's comment after committing to IU:

“When I think of Indiana, I think of Assembly Hall, the fans, the insane basketball culture there. It’s pretty awesome,” Kopp told Peegs.com last spring. “I always enjoyed playing there. It was a great environment for me to be in and just see it.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think he's absolutely one of our 10 best basketball players, probably one of our top 4-5 best players. 

He's arguably the smartest player on the team, he's one of the best passers and ball handlers, he's athletic, etc.  The only flaw in his game is shooting. 

Totally.  And there is some playmaking there. He has always been able to create.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I agree that Leal moves the ball well on the pass.  But, Trey is much better at breaking down the defense on the dribble.  Leal really does not do that at all.  That's why, going forward, it will be critical for every lineup on the floor to have either X or Galloway.  They are the only two players that are good at breaking down the D on the bounce.  And, for that reason above all others, you don't start Trey,

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Also gotta learn not to rest on your laurels in the Big 10. Minnesota is a competitive team...

I always heard Coach was harder on the team after a blowout win in preparing for the next opponent...

Rightly so……Coach Knight was notorious for not letting success get to his players heads. You can bet Coach Woodson has that same mindset.

• Like 2

I think guys like Lander and Bates are playing about as much as they would for a Bob Knight team.  Both have a long way to go. 

Regarding Bates, I heard one of the beat guys say something like “fans won’t like it but Tamar may come on and then be one and done.”  It might have been Dustin Doporak (who I like).  It’s a fairly ridiculous statement.  Bates is struggling on defense, can’t really create yet, and is only a good scorer if he’s left totally open.  He has all the tools to be a complete player but it’s going to be a process.  

Bottom line is they are going to have to earn it and that process might be longer than fans expect.  As for the players, they know exactly what’s going on.  Hopefully they didn’t pick a coach who they thought would just hand them minutes. 

To be clear, I’m a big fan of both players. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Didn't get to watch but snatches of the game.  Looks and Sounds like we played a 40 minutes.  Love to see that and happy to eat crow after feeling we were going to lay an egg on home court.  On to the BARN.  Take this energy to every game and we're a force to be reckoned with .

GO HOOSIERS VBG

It's a home game. Will be interesting to see how the team responds after a win like this. It was the best they've played all year (overall) but there are still many things to work on.

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Holding that team to 51 is something I won't forget this season. Same team that beat up Duke. As I come down from the high of a win I have to remember our peaks/valleys....and it's a long season. Our guys are still learning how to play with each other as well. The defense though on the screen help without losing their own guy was impressive.

Amazing how a few days energizes the tribe.

Can we play the Nittany Lions again??  🙄

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

How much would you HATE Trey Galloway if he was on any other Big Ten team?

That's how much we love him.  

He doesn't have the smug cockiness that Sheehey had but he is a complete team first player that everyone wants on their team.  

So other than envy, I don't see hate as the appropriate word.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

He doesn't have the smug cockiness that Sheehey had but he is a complete team first player that everyone wants on their team.  

So other than envy, I don't see hate as the appropriate word.  

Seriously?

The awkward kid with the weird hair kicking our butt?

Brian Cardinal?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Seriously?

The awkward kid with the weird hair kicking our butt?

Brian Cardinal?

Cardinal was hateable, way uglier, no threat to steal your girlfriend, both have hair issues of their own.  Cardinal needed to admit bald is beautiful, Trey needs an entire makeover hair style.  

I stand completely on the smug cockiness.  Trey has a cockiness but it doesn't drive you to want to punch him in the face.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. One thing we have to be careful of, Galloway is more of a point forward, he's not a point guard. 

The value in that is having him play alongside our point guards as another ball handler and a guy that is smart and can push the pace. You don't really want him replacing the point guards. Being a point guard is an entire different thing than being a wing that can push the pace at times, run the break, etc. 

yep, I actually really like XJ and Galloway on the floor together. I think one of the weak points is XJ is basically our only “shot creator”. Even Phinisee isn’t much of a creator, but when you put Galloway and XJ on there, that’s two guys that can beat their man, get into the paint, and find the open guy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I think someone brought it up on here or maybe it was on twitter. Our 3 losses to Cuse, Wisconsin, and Penn St all came down to one possession here or there. Healthy Trey may have been helpful?

Onto Minnesota. Early Sunday games always are the ones you have to create your own energy. Hopefully Coach spends the weekend drilling that into the kids heads.

This game will be on the same time as the Colts NFL playoff clinching game.

Better crank up the DVR....

• Like 3