Ohio State Post Game Thread

KDB

On 1/6/2022 at 7:05 PM, OGIUAndy said:

Not sure how that wasn't a foul, the guy bulldozed him off the court. I get it's the end of the game, but that was pretty wild. 

I was pissed that there was no call. How much would it have sucked if Trey got injured again in his first game back? That looked like a football play.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It would have taken away the dunk, worked out better for us there wasn't a foul. 

You're right, but I am frustrated because if the OSU player would have been in postion to take a charge, and TG would have plowed into him the way the OSU player did to him, they absolutely would have gone out of their (refs) way to call a charge. 

I can't stand they are allowed to drawl a "charge" on a pass. Not a fan of it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You're right, but I am frustrated because if the OSU player would have been in postion to take a charge, and TG would have plowed into him the way the OSU player did to him, they absolutely would have gone out of their (refs) way to call a charge. 

I wish they would get rid of the block/charge in basketball. It's pretty dangerous. And I agree, once a guy passes the ball, he shouldn't be called for a charge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Not much is more frustrating to me in sports than college basketball refs hunting for every and any opportunity to call a charge.

They're obsessed with it and it ruins games. 

• Like 4

On 1/7/2022 at 8:14 AM, IUFLA said:

Prepare to be disappointed...

I think we've seen that Coach Woody isn't going to change the starting 5 unless someone is injured, did something that requires disciplinary measures, or the difference in play is just so stark, he has to change it...

TJD

Race

Stewart

Kopp

XJ

I hope you're not right. I think there's a lot to be said for rewarding someone's play.

To answer one of my fellow posters, "What does TC have to do with it? " One of my many issues with him is that he had favorites and it would take an act of God to get a change in his line-up. 

Someone else mentioned that we can't have non-shooters in the line-up as the argument for not having Trey in the first group instead of Kopp or Stewart. I believe the end result was on display already. Crisper ball movement and better team defense was what I was witnessing when we had Galloway on the floor. We are better with him on the floor than we are Kopp. No knock on Kopp. He just has to score 20 to contribute to a win what Galloway can with 5. You can substitute Stewarts name in for Kopp if you'd like. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

I think there's a lot to be said for rewarding someone's play

I think so too...but in Coach Woodson's world, the reward is more minutes...

Trey got 19 minutes, and probably most of the second half minutes were earned in the first half...I'm sure he'll see at least that many if he plays well in the first half versus Minny...

And I don't think Coach Woodson plays favorites...I think experience means a lot to him and Stewart and Kopp have that...

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

Well… charges are out of control in college basketball anyway but I agree. 

13 hours ago, ba43056 said:

I hope you're not right. I think there's a lot to be said for rewarding someone's play.

To answer one of my fellow posters, "What does TC have to do with it? " One of my many issues with him is that he had favorites and it would take an act of God to get a change in his line-up. 

Someone else mentioned that we can't have non-shooters in the line-up as the argument for not having Trey in the first group instead of Kopp or Stewart. I believe the end result was on display already. Crisper ball movement and better team defense was what I was witnessing when we had Galloway on the floor. We are better with him on the floor than we are Kopp. No knock on Kopp. He just has to score 20 to contribute to a win what Galloway can with 5. You can substitute Stewarts name in for Kopp if you'd like. 

If you start Trey, with X already starting, when you bring in the 2nd unit, you have ZERO ball movement for a 5-7 minute stretch.  And, what happens if they both pick up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes?

Woody needs to plan lineups and rotations for the full 40 minutes, not just the first 5 minutes of the game.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you start Trey, with X already starting, when you bring in the 2nd unit, you have ZERO ball movement for a 5-7 minute stretch.  And, what happens if they both pick up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes?

Woody needs to plan lineups and rotations for the full 40 minutes, not just the first 5 minutes of the game.

That would be no different from what we saw the past month with Galloway out. 

You might also see improvement from the second unit if they had a shooter out with them. 

14 hours ago, ba43056 said:

1) TC and Woody are far from the only two coaches that are reluctant to change their starting lineup. That's true of 95% of college coaches.

2) No one disagrees with you about the impact Trey had.

3) There's something to be said of fit that you're completely ignoring. Getting another playmaker and facilitator in with our second unit that has struggled is going to be huge, and our first team hasn't been the problem for the most part. 

4) As we saw, Trey can still close games even if he doesn't start if the game flow dictates it. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

1) TC and Woody are far from the only two coaches that are reluctant to change their starting lineup. That's true of 95% of college coaches.

2) No one disagrees with you about the impact Trey had.

3) There's something to be said of fit that you're completely ignoring. Getting another playmaker and facilitator in with our second unit that has struggled is going to be huge, and our first team hasn't been the problem for the most part. 

4) As we saw, Trey can still close games even if he doesn't start if the game flow dictates it. 

Completely agree with all this. 

To add to it, I'm a big Galloway fan and was championing him last season as one of our most important players, but with that said, the kid had one great game after not playing in two months. 

You don't throw him into the starting lineup after one good game and all of that time off, especially when the starters aren't an issue. 

He needs to play well for 3, 4, 5 games, etc., before you make a change like that. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree with all this. 

To add to it, I'm a big Galloway fan and was championing him last season as one of our most important players, but with that said, the kid had one great game after not playing in two months. 

You don't throw him into the starting lineup after one good game and all of that time off, especially when the starters aren't an issue. 

He needs to play well for 3, 4, 5 games, etc., before you make a change like that. 

Unless a coach feels a kid needs that start for mental reason....I don't see any reason for changes. Trey isn't a kid who needs the start where as others might. Keep Trey right where he's at and like you said maybe after another 2-3 weeks we can look at things...but Trey, Rob P, and Kopp all are going to be at that 19-22 minute range each game no matter who starts.

• Like 3

Trey is like a defibrillator that a paramedic carries around.  If the patient is unresponsive, he gives them a jolt.

It's nice having that kind of juice coming off the bench, IMO.  If the starters are sluggish, or even if they aren't, Trey brings energy, speed, toughness, movement, etc.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

That would be no different from what we saw the past month with Galloway out. 

You might also see improvement from the second unit if they had a shooter out with them. 

And, I think we can agree that what we saw in that month pretty much stunk from an offensive standpoint.  Why would we intentionally go back to that when we have an alternative.  And, that is one of Galloway and X are always on the floor.  Sometimes, they both can be.  But, that doesn't mean it's the start of the gfame.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, I think we can agree that what we saw in that month pretty much stunk from an offensive standpoint.  Why would we intentionally go back to that when we have an alternative.  And, that is one of Galloway and X are always on the floor.  Sometimes, they both can be.  But, that doesn't mean it's the start of the gfame.  

Ultimately, it comes down to Kopps shot making vs Galloways playmaking. Maybe we will get some lineups over the next month to see which is more valuable.