Minnesota Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Keep building. No reason we shouldn’t show up with the same defensive intensity. Have to think some more shots fall and we win by about 10. Or at least should win by 10. 

That's the thing. We beat a very good Ohio St team by 16 while going 2-15 from deep....and I do believe those shots will start falling too. Game was 48-45 and it was lockdown time after that for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. We beat a very good Ohio St team by 16 while going 2-15 from deep....and I do believe those shots will start falling too. Game was 48-45 and it was lockdown time after that for us.

I was just thinking the same thing...What I hope is happening is that we're improving in some aspect each game...Right now we're very dependent on Trayce for offense, and to a point, on defense (Holtmann said as much in his post game)...but I hope in the near future, it all comes together...

Also, the backstory on Jamison Battle is, he's a Minnesota kid that wanted to go to Minny right out of high school, but Richard Pitino never offered...Pitino thought Battle was not physically ready for the Big 10. So he went to George Washington, stated 45-47 games, and averaged double figures both years he was there. Caught up physically and transferred...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've harped on this for the last two years and here I go again, but this is a chance for us to get above 0.500 in conference play.  I did some research on that last year.  I can't remember what I found, but we haven't been above 0.500 very much in B1G play the last four years.  If I recall correctly, we haven't been above 0.500 in B1G play in February, or maybe it was late January, since Crean was here. 

• Like 2

This is a big game. Lose and you erase all the positives coming out of the OSU win. Let's see how they handle success. Worse possible outcome is they overlook Minny, who beat Mich and played MSU close, toss up a bunch of long jumpers and let them hang around late.

Would like to see the same intensity on defense and a little more patience when shooting from deep. Sometimes, and for no good reason, I don't think Kopp sees the rim until after the ball is released. X played well on D but has to improve his approach on offense. If the shot is not falling he has to work to get others the shot or figure out how to get to the FT line. I'd like to see Tamar get some set plays were he can square up and shoot it rather than tossing up another prayer. He looks lost.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

This is a big game. Lose and you erase all the positives coming out of the OSU win. Let's see how they handle success. Worse possible outcome is they overlook Minny, who beat Mich and played MSU close, toss up a bunch of long jumpers and let them hang around late.

Would like to see the same intensity on defense and a little more patience when shooting from deep. Sometimes, and for no good reason, I don't think Kopp sees the rim until after the ball is released. X played well on D but has to improve his approach on offense. If the shot is not falling he has to work to get others the shot or figure out how to get to the FT line. I'd like to see Tamar get some set plays were he can square up and shoot it rather than tossing up another prayer. He looks lost.

Yup...this is the type of game we almost always lost during the last 4-5 years. 

53 minutes ago, rico said:

As @btownqballuded to up above somewhere... it is amazing what hitting FT's, not turning the ball over, and good defense will get ya.  Fundamental basketball takes you places. 

I'd really like to take the next step though...

Minnesota doesn't have much size, so you know they'll be doubling the crap out of Trayce...Like to see more of that inside out, extra pass and for our 3 shooters to hit some open looks...

Minnesota doesn't turn the ball over much and they do force turnovers...We've been pretty good the past couple of games in not giving up the ball...

We should win the rebounding battle...

Matchups, I'd think...

Trayce-Curry

Race-Battle...Gotta win this one...

XJ-Willis

Stewart-Loewe

Kopp-Stephens

Race Thompson I think will be a big factor. Battle will almost have to guard him, and I'm not sure how effective he can be guarding a bigger, stronger guy like Race in the post...

And the defense Race put on a similarly skilled Liddell last game should give Battle trouble...