Minnesota Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to fly into Louisville or Cincinnati if there were problems rather than turn around and head for home?

I looked on flightaware and they basically turned around over the western edge of Indiana, pretty much here. Curiosity has me now, why go all the way back?

I'm working tonight.  Lots of accidents around Indy.  A working vehicle accident with entrapment on the east side around 5, we got one around 530 South Broad Ripple.  We slipped and slide all over responding.  Made it halfway through dinner and got a fire.  Hopefully it warms up and we have a calm night.  

Have no clue if weather has anything to do with it but I don't recall Ice and freezing rain in the forecast.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I'm working tonight.  Lots of accidents around Indy.  A working vehicle accident with entrapment on the east side around 5, we got one around 530 South Broad Ripple.  We slipped and slide all over responding.  Made it halfway through dinner and got a fire.  Hopefully it warms up and we have a calm night.  

Have no clue if weather has anything to do with it but I don't recall Ice and freezing rain in the forecast.  

There is a winter weather advisory tonight

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Were they in the type of plane that could get over the weather?  If it was icing high enough in the atmosphere, they may not have had the option of flying above or around it.

A B738 has a service ceiling of 41,000 ft, so he can get over pretty much anything, but icing may well have been a reason for the turnaround...

1 hour ago, JW75 said:

Sorry for dumb question..... is Monroe airport not big enough for flights of college teams or do all fly into Indy?

Monroe County Airport only has a 6,500 ft runway, but if you look at the comments of the link I provided, they don't allow planes over 30 passenger seats to land there...

Tower's not manned 24 hours...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A B738 has a service ceiling of 41,000 ft, so he can get over pretty much anything, but icing may well have been a reason for the turnaround...

Monroe County Airport only has a 6,500 ft runway, but if you look at the comments of the link I provided, they don't allow planes over 30 passenger seats to land there...

Tower's not manned 24 hours...

I have photos of the team coming back from the Bahamas and more than 30 people got off that plane. 2 buses were filled. I will try and post from my phone.

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I have photos of the team coming back from the Bahamas and more than 30 people got off that plane. 2 buses were filled. I will try and post from my phone.

I'm just going by what the airport remarks say...

Screenshot_20220108-210259.thumb.png.679553aabcc198a8e644ab8ff1dc646c.png

And there have been a bunch of icing SIGMETs in the Midwest today/tonight...

Screenshot_20220108-210049.thumb.png.21c1ea0eb64e03181abfd34ff7890e13.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm just going by what the airport remarks say...

Screenshot_20220108-210259.thumb.png.679553aabcc198a8e644ab8ff1dc646c.png

And there have been a bunch of icing SIGMETs in the Midwest today/tonight...

Screenshot_20220108-210049.thumb.png.21c1ea0eb64e03181abfd34ff7890e13.png

That says at night or weekends for over 30 and you can call Carlos (mngr) for approval, right? WHY in gods name that they don't make that plane (no pun intended) language in todays world, I will never know.

12 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

That says at night or weekends for over 30 and you can call Carlos (mngr) for approval, right? WHY in gods name that they don't make that plane (no pun intended) language in todays world, I will never know.

Yeah, that's because of the fire and rescue equipment capability I believe...

As far as the language, you know as well as I do they never make it easy...I hated reading SIGMETs back in the day because it was dumb...what pilot can calculate that area the controller describes on the fly (no pun intended as well 😁)