Minnesota Post Game Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Phinisee led the team in +/- at +22 followed by Galloway at +20.

I'll say it again, I really like the XJ, Phinisee, Galloway, Thompson, TJD lineup. Lot's of ball handling, lots of athleticism, best passing lineup, and best defensive lineup. The only thing it's lacking that coaches could/should adjust too is shooting. 

• Like 4

This is playing out exactly like CMW said it would. He recognized before ever stepping on the court with this team that it would be offensively challenged. He went to the portal and found some help but knew that defense was the only way to success. I really don't understand people giving CMW grief.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

All I know is that IU was tied or something in the 2nd half and I was pissed, so I went out to buy a Sunday paper, and when I returned 10 minutes later the Hoosiers were up 10. Your'e welcome. 

The buried lead here...

You went out to buy a Sunday paper? Is that even a thing these days?   😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Good home win! I think it's about time that Galloway takes the starting role and we use Kopp off the bench as a shooter only in limited minutes. I don't think it's any coincidence that we played our best ball in the last 10 minutes of each half when Galloway took over for Kopp. Been the same story for the last two games. Trey is just a game changer for this team and needs to be on the court as much as possible. 

Agreed...

If Rob can continue to knock down the open shot he is going to make an argument as well. 

A short bench of Rob, Kopp and Geronimo is a good mix with the occasional Durr siting. 

6 hours ago, ba43056 said:

Agreed...

If Rob can continue to knock down the open shot he is going to make an argument as well. 

A short bench of Rob, Kopp and Geronimo is a good mix with the occasional Durr siting. 

When is the last time Indiana has played, as well as they have the last two games, in back to back games? 

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how we handle people sagging off of our point guards (and probably Bates and Galloway) going forward. I think there are some hints of what was done in game, will be exciting to see what happens with planing:

- Those guys are capable shooters (not great, but if WIDE open? probably at least 35%), will need shoot with confidence
- I think that the half time talk may have included an emphasis on transition (which was a bit shaky with X forcing a couple of times, wish our guys would trust that if they draw help they have done their job, and they can just pivot out of trouble and find the shooters filling in behind)
- They started using Trayce with a pin screen in the middle of the lane to make it harder to double
- The last few games we have done more with a small wrinkle in secondary break, using a drag ball screen to try to free up the the ballahndler...more of that with a down screen on the weak side would be great and give us the chance to find TJD early in the possession...we need to do more to occupy the weak side defenders so that they cannot focus on their help responsibilities as much

A couple of wrinkles I'd like to see them put in:
- Use X and Phin as screeners on the perimeter...ball hand offs to shooters...if the guy guarding our PGs is sagging the shooter should be able to come off screens from the PGs more open
- Flatten out our offense along the baseline and use TJD to screen and re-screen the ballhandler to get deep into the lane and force help...or go small and use Geronimo that way and have him pick and pop once help has been forced....
- If they are going to over help on TJD, I'd love to see us use him as a back screener (or any off the ball screen)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

It will be interesting to see how we handle people sagging off of our point guards (and probably Bates and Galloway) going forward. I think there are some hints of what was done in game, will be exciting to see what happens with planing:

- Those guys are capable shooters (not great, but if WIDE open? probably at least 35%), will need shoot with confidence
- I think that the half time talk may have included an emphasis on transition (which was a bit shaky with X forcing a couple of times, wish our guys would trust that if they draw help they have done their job, and they can just pivot out of trouble and find the shooters filling in behind)
- They started using Trayce with a pin screen in the middle of the lane to make it harder to double
- The last few games we have done more with a small wrinkle in secondary break, using a drag ball screen to try to free up the the ballahndler...more of that with a down screen on the weak side would be great and give us the chance to find TJD early in the possession...we need to do more to occupy the weak side defenders so that they cannot focus on their help responsibilities as much

A couple of wrinkles I'd like to see them put in:
- Use X and Phin as screeners on the perimeter...ball hand offs to shooters...if the guy guarding our PGs is sagging the shooter should be able to come off screens from the PGs more open
- Flatten out our offense along the baseline and use TJD to screen and re-screen the ballhandler to get deep into the lane and force help...or go small and use Geronimo that way and have him pick and pop once help has been forced....
- If they are going to over help on TJD, I'd love to see us use him as a back screener (or any off the ball screen)

I would be shocked if we see people sag off Phinisee and Xavier the way Minnesota did. It's one thing to have the guys covering them playing help defense but quickly recover and be in position to at least close out on any shot, but to just stay sagged even when they have the ball like that - that's not going to work. I can see teams doing that to Race and Galloway, but I don't know what the Minnesota staff was thinking there.

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That was a thing?!?! 

Oh yeah. My dad worked for RCA in Bloomington for over 30 years until they closed the plant. We had all those things when they first came out...

remote.jpg

I also remember when he came home with one WITHOUT THE CORD....

vcr.jpg

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh yeah. My dad worked for RCA in Bloomington for over 30 years until they closed the plant. We had all those things when they first came out...

remote.jpg

vcr.jpg

Should we tell him about the beta max and 8 track?

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

remote.jpg

vcr.jpg

A year after my roommate bought his for 1K, I bought a top of the line front loader, wireless remote Marantz (yes, Marantz) stereo VCR for $400 (tax check money!)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Should we tell him about the beta max and 8 track?

Beta Max was an awesome format...better than VHS...but Sony making it proprietary and the VHS glut of cheaper models doomed it...

8 tracks were a waste...they should have automatically come with a book of matches to shove under the tape when the heads got misaligned...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Beta Max was an awesome format...better than VHS...but Sony making it proprietary and the VHS glut of cheaper models doomed it...

8 tracks were a waste...they should have automatically come with a book of matches to shove under the tape when the heads got misaligned...

My grandma had a beta max and vhs. Always thought beta max had better video quality. 

My dad still had his 8 track in the garage. Never failed, almost every tape had a song that stopped and you had to flip the tape over to continue. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Also had to have a pencil handy to stick in the hole and rewind tape that had gotten tangled.

I had a carrying case for all my 8 tracks that took up 2/3rds of the back seat of my car.

• Like 5