What is Matta doing for the program?

My guess?

He’s a sounding board for advice. I doubt he’s grinding watching 5 hours of film a day and I don’t think he can be involved in practice. I think he follows the team, obviously watches games, probably watches practices, and let’s the coaches know his observations and ideas. Beyond that I wouldn’t have any idea.

• Like 2

I can see why he wasn't offered or didnt take the job. I walked next to the man a couple of weeks ago at the game. His longest stride was 3 inches. He looks like a 90 year old man. I felt bad for him. The back injury has really taken its toll. I doubt if he is doing much on the court at all.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just a general question.

Listened to the CMW show with Fisch tonight and got me wondering. 
Matta is definitely in the background. I would be interested in learning what he has done to influence the program thus far this season 

My guess is he acts like a consigliare does in the mafia. Decades of wisdom not only on the court but off the court stuff as well. Just another weapon for CMW to use.

• Like 5

On 1/11/2022 at 9:21 AM, Indykev said:

I can see why he wasn't offered or didnt take the job. I walked next to the man a couple of weeks ago at the game. His longest stride was 3 inches. He looks like a 90 year old man. I felt bad for him. The back injury has really taken its toll. I doubt if he is doing much on the court at all.

Cut him some slack...  he's been in the water the last ten years.

ccb05ea6ba91806600e57929288d6499.jpg

13 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

He's been away from the game for a while, but he has a lot to contribute. That's all I meant. He is still a great basketball coach. I meant no disrespect.

Oh yes i'm sure his mind is fine, body not so much. I didnt take it as disrespect. I just cant remember movie lines.

• Like 1

Matta is absolutely watching game film and practice. He’s there to help with the transition. He’s also quietly scouting talent. If you look at the players we are in on sure look like players Matta would get. Lots of photos of him in the practice facility. The NCAA also loosened the rules on non coaching contact too. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1