Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Not gonna happen with this group. Just aren't enough. I'll keep doing what I've done for the last 5 years and hope we get a new batch of players next year who are different. 

IU wants to make the tourney, and they feel veterans are the way to go.  However, at some point when do you let the future get a true run and see what they can do?  The goal is final four in the next few years.  Just a thought

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

IU wants to make the tourney, and they feel veterans are the way to go.  However, at some point when do you let the future get a true run and see what they can do?  The goal is final four in the next few years.  Just a thought

We consistently collapse when the future (Geronimo, Bates, etc.) comes into the game. 

The bench consistently killed the momentum. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

The tourney is still in our grasp. Is this another play KL request?

• Like 1

random thoughts as I try to lay down and take my personal Francon down a few notches…

People on Twitter calling for Lander… could he have done any more damage than the other guards? I thought he had some great moments in the Syracuse game. ( besides the last play) 

substitutions are an issue, and CMW needs to figure it out. Durr should not have played in a fast paced up and down game. No Lander when PG play is a glaring issue. Leal and Geronimo have disappeared, but Bates getting empty minutes 

XJ really made some poor plays.

I hope for Trayce’s sake we can make the tournament. Because it would be such a tremendous waste of his talent and effort. 

It’s all there, but the opportunities are running out

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

We consistently collapse when the future (Geronimo, Bates, etc.) comes into the game. 

Pre-season I incorrectly thought Bates would be a starter by now. He has been going through some non-basketball things but man he just looks like he is just wildly flinging the ball when he shoots and his reputed “dog mentality” is not apparent. He is, of course, only a freshman and hopefully he gets it together.

So understand that this is coming from the standpoint that I believe we have a pretty good team.....

This team from the staff on down to the players can be so (expletive deleted) dumb sometimes.  We should have known Iowa would press.  We looked ill prepared.  We need to take the wholesale lineup change out behind the barn and put it out of its misery.  We need to tighten the rotation.  We need one of the PGs to step up and be a consistent steadying influence.  Thise 2 guys have far too much experience between them for all the just terrible, stupid, unforced errors they seem to pull out of their (rear) on the road. If our bigs are going to get fouled, they need to be able to hit more than 50% of their foul shots more often then not.  I know the percentages say upper 60's but I will be (expletive deleted) if we don't go 50/50 almost every time it seems to really count.

I am really more irritated about this then I think I ever was when Miller was here because this team is actually good enough to do something this year if they would just get out of their own way.  We had Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa and did not finish them off.  I don't care how "good" those teams are or are not.  Every single one of those games should have been a win with this team and we blew it.  These guys are too good for us to be playing moral victories.  We should have won those games and the expectation needs to be that we are going to win those games.

24 (give or take) turnovers.  I'd run everybody in the program until they wished they were dead.  This Archie Miller, Tom Crean up and down bull shhh needs to become a thing of the past like yesterday.  This team is too damn talented to be this damn inconsistent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So understand that this is coming from the standpoint that I believe we have a pretty good team.....

This team from the staff on down to the players can be so (expletive deleted) dumb sometimes.  We should have known Iowa would press.  We looked ill prepared.  We need to take the wholesale lineup change out behind the barn and put it out of its misery.  We need to tighten the rotation.  We need one of the PGs to step up and be a consistent steadying influence.  Thise 2 guys have far too much experience between them for all the just terrible, stupid, unforced errors they seem to pull out of their (rear) on the road. If our bigs are going to get fouled, they need to be able to hit more than 50% of their foul shots more often then not.  I know the percentages say upper 60's but I will be (expletive deleted) if we don't go 50/50 almost every time it seems to really count.

I am really more irritated about this then I think I ever was when Miller was here because this team is actually good enough to do something this year if they would just get out of their own way.  We had Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa and did not finish them off.  I don't care how "good" those teams are or are not.  Every single one of those games should have been a win with this team and we blew it.  These guys are too good for us to be playing moral victories.  We should have won those games and the expectation needs to be that we are going to win those games.

24 (give or take) turnovers.  I'd run everybody in the program until they wished they were dead.  This Archie Miller, Tom Crean up and down bull shhh needs to become a thing of the past like yesterday.  This team is too damn talented to be this damn inconsistent.

Don't leave Syracuse out of the teams we blew games against. This team has been talented enough and the roster balanced well enough to win every game we've played to this point; the fact that they haven't done it is the problem. The problems in all four of those losses have been largely the same from the team. Very frustrating. 

• Like 1

I just don’t understand how little we value the basketball? Seriously, we followed up another decent first half(still had silly turnovers) with a complete dud on the back end. XJ gets visibly frustrated, and Woody left him out there again… just let him cool off a couple of minutes and sub him back in. TJD has to get the ball a lot more down the stretch. What did he put up, two or three shots over the last 7-8 minutes? Very frustrating loss against a beatable team. Also, the trend of guys having career numbers against us continues…

You know what would be messed up? Is if the Murray brothers switched jersey numbers for this game to throw off our coverage game plan…I could see crazy SOB McCaffery trying to pull that off, lol. If you think about it, it happened to be the other one who had the huge game…but was it really him????? Haha 

Edited by IUrocker

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The problem is that you can't bring in the entire bench at the same time and expect them to do well...not consistently.  They are being set up to fail.  Galloway looks better with the first unit then the second.  Same with Phinisee.  Trayce or Race should be on the floor at all times.  If Bates comes in he should be spelling Kopp or Stewart.  He shouldn't be the second? scoring option on the floor ever.  (Rob, Galloway, Bates, Durr, Geronimo...where is the scoring supposed to come from?)

• Like 2