Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that we have a ton of experience on this team - i mean, i believe our entire starting 5 are all technically upperclassmen, and we have 2 seniors playing  PG - and yet we continue to completely fold mentally in these road games. 

If someone can explain that one, I’d definitely be interested in reading it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

We consistently collapse when the future (Geronimo, Bates, etc.) comes into the game. 

The bench consistently killed the momentum. 

Agree.  Geronimo made a couple of very good plays when he came in and then proceeded to make a half a dozen cringe-worthy ones.  Bates is simply lost.  He's tight and he has no confidence at all.  He's almost unplayable at this point.

If what ails us was as easy as swapping out this player for that player in the starting lineup, the coaches would already have done it.  

We simply cannot have situations where X, Rob, and Race all play poorly on the same night.  That's a recipe for a loss and that's the meal we served up last night.  

I will say bumping Galloway from 20 minutes a night to 25 and finding 8-10 minutes a night for Leal could help, but not sure what else the coaches can do lineup wise at this point.

• Like 5

Every opposing teams defensive strategy the rest of the year……

1. Watch 2nd half of Iowa game.

2. Use 2/3 & 3/2 zone till it can be broken.

2. After made baskets, use 1-2-2 full court press till it can be broken.

We're supposed to be "elite" defensively, but WE have struggled against teams not known for strong defenses.....so frustrating!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Sad 2

I think Toussaint's tackle of XJ on the opening play of the first half spoke volumes...And I think it was intentional...

It told us that Iowa was going to play physical basketball (which was a shock to me...I considered them more of a finesse team) and it told us the referees were going to let us play...XJ didn't look the same after that...

And I do think the 2nd team meltdown in the first half contributed to a couple of our players getting fatigued, Race in particular...Having to help with the press only magnified that...

Good Lord, we have to have watched tape on Iowa...They've pressed at least some of every game I've watched them in...

Senior guards should be able to handle that easily...But, I saw the panic that I saw a couple of times in close games during the previous years...and that was a bit disheartening...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that we have a ton of experience on this team - i mean, i believe our entire starting 5 are all technically upperclassmen, and we have 2 seniors playing  PG - and yet we continue to completely fold mentally in these road games. 

If someone can explain that one, I’d definitely be interested in reading it. 

They are experienced in losing...particularly on the road.  None of the guys on the team who have experience came from a program that was winning a bunch of games...except maybe Durr (I really don't know about South Florida).

So our experienced players are just continuing to perform to their experience.

Edited by IUCrazy2

28 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Every opposing teams defensive strategy the rest of the year……

1. Watch 2nd half of Iowa game.

2. Use 2/3 & 3/2 zone till it can be broken.

2. After made baskets, use 1-2-2 full court press till it can be broken.

We're supposed to be "elite" defensively, but WE have struggled against teams not known for strong defenses.....so frustrating!

Pressure Phinsee and Johnson when they get the ball, and force them to shoot 3. When they prove they can hit more then 1 force them to drive because they force something wild up. Drive against Parker Stewart he’ll bump You everytime. 

Edited by Cbp4IU

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Toussaint's tackle of XJ on the opening play of the first half spoke volumes...And I think it was intentional...

It told us that Iowa was going to play physical basketball (which was a shock to me...I considered them more of a finesse team) and it told us the referees were going to let us play...XJ didn't look the same after that...

And I do think the 2nd team meltdown in the first half contributed to a couple of our players getting fatigued, Race in particular...Having to help with the press only magnified that...

Good Lord, we have to have watched tape on Iowa...They've pressed at least some of every game I've watched them in...

Senior guards should be able to handle that easily...But, I saw the panic that I saw a couple of times in close games during the previous years...and that was a bit disheartening...

Completely agree on the first play of the 2nd half. It set the tone for the rest of the game. XJ and really IU was never the same. 

Once the ref didn't call that foul I immediately thought, "we're not winning this game".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Agree.  Geronimo made a couple of very good plays when he came in and then proceeded to make a half a dozen cringe-worthy ones.  Bates is simply lost.  He's tight and he has no confidence at all.  He's almost unplayable at this point.

If what ails us was as easy as swapping out this player for that player in the starting lineup, the coaches would already have done it.  

We simply cannot have situations where X, Rob, and Race all play poorly on the same night.  That's a recipe for a loss and that's the meal we served up last night.  

I will say bumping Galloway from 20 minutes a night to 25 and finding 8-10 minutes a night for Leal could help, but not sure what else the coaches can do lineup wise at this point.

Race is a very solid player, but holy lord does he go brain dead. I like him, plays hard as heck.. he was very poor last night and it wasn't just the 5 turnovers. 

• Like 4

Nothing really new to add that others haven't covered. Will never understand players who don't value the ball. We have plenty of those. Maybe it's just today's game? Maybe it's just us? 

Hopefully we can bounce back and get a W on Monday. We start a stretch of winnable games and maybe give our guys some confidence but if we continue to have the same players, go into fog mode 3-4x per game....we'll continue to be what we are. Good team in spurts....and likely a .500 conference record.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Race is a very solid player, but holy lord does he go brain dead. I like him, plays hard as heck.. he was very poor last night and it wasn't just the 5 turnovers. 

I think that is a microcosm of the entire team.  We have the potential to be a really good team.  And when we are playing to that potential, we are a really tough out.  Our defense is elite.

On the flip side, we have a nasty habit of brain farting in almost every game.  Just stretches of boneheaded plays.  There were a couple times last night where we had multiple empty trips in a row.  Just handed the ball to Iowa.

So this is shaping up to be a frustrating season because our ceiling is on par with the Top 20 teams in the country.  When we are on, we are really good.  The problem is that our floor is much lower than those teams because we have not shown the ability to consistently keep that high level of play.  That is especially true when we are on the road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

The propping up of Rob Phinisee is now becoming lost opportunities for other players getting a chance to play.  Rob Phinisee is limited in too many ways to justify minutes.  Yes, he is an excellent defender, nothing else. 

WTF was Race doing in the backcourt of our press break?  Terrible strategy.  Hurt IU.  

Jalen Hood-Schifino needs the keys to the car the minute he sets foot on campus.  IU’s point guard play will be the bugaboo on the road the remainder of the season.  

The second half uglies:

14 turnovers, almost all unforced

No clue against a soft press

PG play=BAD

5-11 from the FT line

Kris Murray, who averages 9, going off for 29

Wouldn’t beat Eastern Washington playing that way.  Remember that one?

IndyKev said it best: tired of watching the same crap year after year. 

Rob wasn't good yesterday, but he has been very good in some key wins lately. To say he shouldn't be getting minutes at this point is absurd, and I was a big supporter of more Lander earlier in the year. Rob has earned his minutes at this point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Great post. To be fair, though, I'm not sure how many teams can have 2 of their best 3 players and 3 of their top 7 or so play poorly and win on the road. That's not unique to IU.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

There is definitely an element of Iowa played extremely physical and Fran and the crowd was on the refs so much, that a good amount did get let go. 

Having said that, I don't think we can put this one on the refs much. Iowa played desperate, we did not. And we made some really head scratching decisions. 

• Like 2

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I think that is a microcosm of the entire team.  We have the potential to be a really good team.  And when we are playing to that potential, we are a really tough out.  Our defense is elite.

On the flip side, we have a nasty habit of brain farting in almost every game.  Just stretches of boneheaded plays.  There were a couple times last night where we had multiple empty trips in a row.  Just handed the ball to Iowa.

So this is shaping up to be a frustrating season because our ceiling is on par with the Top 20 teams in the country.  When we are on, we are really good.  The problem is that our floor is much lower than those teams because we have not shown the ability to consistently keep that high level of play.  That is especially true when we are on the road.

I dont agree with that. 

I haven't been frustrated, really at all. Maybe the UW game. 

We don't play well for longer periods of time because we aren't talented enough. We play a lot of dudes that are what we have right now, but moving forward we can replace them with a more talented player. 

So, yeah, I don't think we're overly good. I think we are solid, I think we are well coached, offensively we just don't have the horses yet for me to say we're really good. 

• Like 2