Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Puzzled as to why we didn't go to the XJ, Phin, Galloway lineup much more in the 2nd half. It's been our best lineup since Galloway got back and would have been best at attacking that 3/4's court press. 

And honestly with the way things were going... I may have put Kopp or Stewart in with those three. Race wasn't offering anything productive in any aspect of the game in the second half. 

• Like 1

I'm absolutely stumped over the idea that "lander is too bad to play" when rob and xavier can play like they have for multiple games. I understand they are the better options, but weren't we harping on accountability. Is rob just going to have permanent access to these shots he obviously can't make?

Just frustrated. this season will be the same as last. Wake me up when we have new guards

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah there was that one, I could point to a few others too, but overall that's not why we lost. 

i can’t really complain about the officiating last night (and Iowa fans clearly don’t know the over and back rule). We had 3 of their guys in foul trouble most of the night, including their best scorer, and we were in the bonus very early in the second half. It’s rare to get officiating like that on the road in this conference. Another reason why this was an ugly loss. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

i can’t really complain about the officiating last night (and Iowa fans clearly don’t know the over and back rule). We had 3 of their guys in foul trouble most of the night, including their best scorer, and we were in the bonus very early in the second half. It’s rare to get officiating like that on the road in this conference. Another reason why this was an ugly loss. 

actually some of the best officiating i have seen in our favor in a while, and it was on the road to boot

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I miss Hulls, a drop dead shooter from outside a great free throw shooter and he took care of the ball. Yogi was very good also, but he to could dribble to much at times. Over all he was great though. 
we haven’t had that since they left! 
That’s what we are missing, I miss watching them. 
I get so tried of these announcers that just keep saying we got to feed it to TJD every time. What we need to do is make plays take care of the ball and  hit shots. That’s what will open things up for TJD. 

Ironically, if you look, Carver Hawkeye was Kryptonite to Hulls.  He couldn't throw it in a cornfield, when standing in Iowa.

Rob and X were a combined 3-12 from the field with 8 TO’s. We keep hoping this is the season that one or both of them can CONSISTENTLY run the team in an efficient manner, hit some perimeter shots and play decent defense.

Newsflash…..between them they have been playing D1 ball for seemingly 16 years and at this point “they are what they are” and I anticipate their roller coaster ride will last all season.
I just hope JHS can play point at the D1 level next year.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

I'm absolutely stumped over the idea that "lander is too bad to play" when rob and xavier can play like they have for multiple games. I understand they are the better options, but weren't we harping on accountability. Is rob just going to have permanent access to these shots he obviously can't make?

Just frustrated. this season will be the same as last. Wake me up when we have new guards

Lander's defense is not up to Coach Woodson's requirements.... Don't get me wrong, I love Lander and want him to play, but until he can become visibly stronger and faster, he's going to have to wait his turn. Most kids can handle sitting on the bench and that's why they leave. Kids who truly want to play for a university and it's coach will do the extra work required to get the minutes. 

Edited by Artesian_86

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I concur. Excellent defenders. Certainly struggled last night, offensively. 

I know Rob is a lightening rod among the fan base, but I spent a lot of time watching him last night, and while he didn't have his best game, he absolutely teed it up on defense.  Bohannon was really frustrated. 

• Like 3

Just now, Muddy River said:

I know Rob is a lightening rod among the fan base, but I spent a lot of time watching him last night, and while he didn't have his best game, he absolutely teed it up on defense.  Bohannon was really frustrated. 

He does play good D. Unfortunately, on any given night it’s difficult to predict how he will do on offense.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I would be pretty surprised if we actually go winless on the road, but yes I think 10-10 gets us in. We have four very winnable road games left, even if we just split those and then drop 1 at home that gets us to 11-9. Unless our advanced metrics really drop off, we should solidly be in.

That was my count exactly, four winnable road games left: Nebraska, Maryland, NW, and Minnesota.  All four of those probably offer a higher chance of winning going into them than the Wisconsin and Iowa games did.  It is just so frustrating that we let those two get away along with what really should have been win at Penn St.  

5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That was my count exactly, four winnable road games left: Nebraska, Maryland, NW, and Minnesota.  All four of those probably offer a higher chance of winning going into them than the Wisconsin and Iowa games did.  It is just so frustrating that we let those two get away along with what really should have been win at Penn St.  

I hear ya, man. This team is really close; who knows if we get there this year but the fact that we are this close half way through Woodson's first season after where we've been the past five years should give us all a ton of optimism for the future. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear ya, man. This team is really close; who knows if we get there this year but the fact that we are this close half way through Woodson's first season after where we've been the past five years should give us all a ton of optimism for the future. 

Quality point, and i think that’s why late nights loss was so frustrating. We had 2 solid home games, things seemed to be clicking a bit, then we go out and look completely flummoxed by a press and zone defense that most of us learned how to attack in 8th grade. Yes, i understand that these are much better athletes running it, but it’s not rocket science and, unlike Syracuse, Iowa hasn’t been running it for 3-4 decades. 

I also think that’s where the Lander stuff is coming from - Rob kept backing up against the press, and apparently Race = Ben Simmons now. Lander has the skills to easily break a press like that, but he’d probably give up a 3 on the other end, anyway. 

36 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

actually some of the best officiating i have seen in our favor in a while, and it was on the road to boot

There were 3 tough calls that went against us around 8 mins to go that helped our guys fold.  I'd have to watch the replays to see how bad, i do remember them calling a sideline out of bounds on Rob that was clear as day not out on him.