Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree we need a guy like that, but probably the 2 most prominent "go to" guys in the Big 10, Keegan Murray and Johnny Davis, were both 150+ on 247 (Murray was actually 300+)...

So an honest question here...why does it seem that so many other teams in the Big 10 develop players like this? Trevion Williams was 150+...D'Mitrik Trice was 300+ in the rankings...

Is it a question of development? Judging talent?

I think Coach Woody is behind the 8 ball on a lot of our current roster, because they're pretty much developed for the most part...

But are we seeing good development on some of our younger kids?

Couple of thoughts:

Both kids have things in common:

A 5th year solid pg that makes the right play and can open up the floor with shooting ability.

Both are extremely athletic and have fluid balance.

Both have wingspan.

• Like 1

Dear Parker Stewart,

Please shoot more. More 3s would be nice. Of the guys that’s allowed to play, you have the highest chance of hitting. The extra 6-9 pts would be great.

Also can you ask your good buddy Race to stop shooting the three ball. 

Thanks

PS: This comment is for the staff. That one inbound turnover was amazing. The one under the Iowa basket where there was no one to inbound the ball to. Yeah wth

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Dear Parker Stewart,

Please shoot more. More 3s would be nice. Of the guys that’s allowed to play, you have the highest chance of hitting. The extra 6-9 pts would be great.

Thanks

PS: This comment is for the staff. That one inbound turnover was amazing. The one under the Iowa basket where there was no one to inbound the ball to. Yeah wth

I said during the game thread, our PGs have to realize if they're  choosing between themselves and a Stewart or Kopp to take a shot, they have to choose the shooter...

In the second half Rob had a look from 3 with a defender closing fast, and Stewart was literally 7 feet to his left wide open and Rob shot it himself, and missed. That's part of being a PG isn't it?

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Dear Parker Stewart,

Thanks

The staff gave Race 4pts and he complete effed them up. On BLOB. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I said during the game thread, our PGs have to realize if they're  choosing between themselves and a Stewart or Kopp to take a shot, they have to choose the shooter...

In the second half Rob had a look from 3 with a defender closing fast, and Stewart was literally 7 feet to his left wide open and Rob shot it himself, and missed. That's part of being a PG isn't it?

Yep. It was a mistake. 

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Absolutely.  The floor general has got to be smarter than that.

• Like 2

I wish I didn’t feel so bad after a disappointing loss like last night, but I guess it’s because I grew up with the Hoosiers during the RMK era, and got spoiled watching those GREAT teams. Every year I keep thinking we’re about to turn the corner, and continue to be disappointed. We had a glimmer of hope with Zeller, Oladipo and company, but even then we fell short. Oh well, there’s always the next game and that’s Nebraska….go Hoosiers!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Is Fran an awful person because he has a temper when he coaches, or is there something I am missing? 

I wanted to lead with something negative before complimenting his coaching. It was more tongue in cheek (I do not know know them personally).

The apple comment was due to the inability to control themselves on the court. It is not ok for a player to come over while a coach is talking with a ref. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

To be fair, this is the first time in his college career that he could pass it to someone who could actually hit a 3.... unless his pass was a turnover.

I get that this forum is to allow folks to vent. Exhilaration when we win and doom when we don’t. One game, our guys do no wrong and the next they couldn’t beat a CYO team.

We are about halfway through the season. Players are still learning their places in a new system. I have faith that this staff is going to bring the best out of this team as the season winds down… when it most matters. 

Got it! We haven’t played as well as we’d like. Especially on the road. Got it! Lots of people here think same ol’ same ol’. 

How’bout we give these guys the benefit instead of assuming the worst? 

What would it hurt?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I agree we need a guy like that, but probably the 2 most prominent "go to" guys in the Big 10, Keegan Murray and Johnny Davis, were both 150+ on 247 (Murray was actually 300+)...

So an honest question here...why does it seem that so many other teams in the Big 10 develop players like this? Trevion Williams was 150+...D'Mitrik Trice was 300+ in the rankings...

Is it a question of development? Judging talent?

I think Coach Woody is behind the 8 ball on a lot of our current roster, because they're pretty much developed for the most part...

But are we seeing good development on some of our younger kids?

I didn’t think Galloway was anything but a deep sub….but he has looked really good 

I really think JG22 flashes some serious talent at times 

KL… never saw it last year.  He is quick with a pg mentality but I’m still not impressed.  He was a 5 star so somebody smarter than me liked him…Purdue offered…

IMHO player development is 3 things:

1.  A system that fits the player 

2.  Coaches who can teach 

3.  Players who want to work 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

I didn’t think Galloway was anything but a deep sub….but he has looked really good 

I really think JG22 flashes some serious talent at times 

KL… never saw it last year.  He is quick with a pg mentality but I’m still not impressed.  He was a 5 star so somebody smarter than me liked him…Purdue offered…

IMHO player development is 3 things:

1.  A system that fits the player 

2.  Coaches who can teach 

3.  Players who want to work 

1. Players who want to work 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I wish I didn’t feel so bad after a disappointing loss like last night, but I guess it’s because I grew up with the Hoosiers during the RMK era, and got spoiled watching those GREAT teams. Every year I keep thinking we’re about to turn the corner, and continue to be disappointed. We had a glimmer of hope with Zeller, Oladipo and company, but even then we fell short. Oh well, there’s always the next game and that’s Nebraska….go Hoosiers!

We're 13-4

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dawg Bawls said:

And its not like those 4 were not close games and/or shouldve wons...we just need to learn how to win again...

We need need to learn to beat teams with talent.  We're really good at beating cupcakes and fringe level teams.  But a team with talent and a spine seem to be more than we can handle.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We need need to learn to beat teams with talent.  We're really good at beating cupcakes and fringe level teams.  But a team with talent and a spine seem to be more than we can handle.

IU can beat anyone...at home.  The sole reason they can't win on the road is 100% mental.  Knight said something about mental preparation being 4X more important than physical preparation.  If this team can solve that part, they can be very very tough to beat.  Just replicate what you did in the the first half at Iowa and Wisconsin, guys.  It's really not that hard and that's what is most frustrating for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

IU can beat anyone...at home.  The sole reason they can't win on the road is 100% mental.  Knight said something about mental preparation being 4X more important than physical preparation.  If this team can solve that part, they can be very very tough to beat.  Just replicate what you did in the the first half at Iowa and Wisconsin, guys.  It's really not that hard and that's what is most frustrating for me.

Agree. Both Iowa and Wisconsin won by scratching and clawing. They played the head game and got physical. It really seems to bother the guards. Race and Trace not so much.

So the TJD post Iowa interview he was asked about the guards having trouble feeding him. He said he thinks sometimes they have trouble remembering that. Something to that effect anyway.

That is what’s frustrating to me as well. I think I only seen the over the top action once vs Iowa. I can’t stand to see a big guy with the talent of TJD basically hogtie his defender while calling for the ball and not get the ball. Rob is really bad about that.

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

So the TJD post Iowa interview he was asked about the guards having trouble feeding him. He said he thinks sometimes they have trouble remembering that. Something to that effect anyway.

That is what’s frustrating to me as well. I think I only seen the over the top action once vs Iowa. I can’t stand to see a big guy with the talent of TJD basically hogtie his defender while calling for the ball and not get the ball. Rob is really bad about that.

Is this the guards just not doing what they should or is it an adjustment to try and adjust to how they are adjusting to us at halftime.  Its not the first time we just stop feeding the one person who pretty much can score at will.  Especially while we have a decent lead.

43 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Is this the guards just not doing what they should or is it an adjustment to try and adjust to how they are adjusting to us at halftime.  Its not the first time we just stop feeding the one person who pretty much can score at will.  Especially while we have a decent lead.

Guards not doing what they should.  They are taught how to create passing angles and how to break the press.  A few turnovers were do to no passing angles.  

I’d be fine with starting the walk on’s in Neb. Because that loss at Iowa was inexcusable !  The turnovers were off the chart!  They embarrassed themselves!

Watching an IU track event on BTN.  We have A runner named Benton that colored his head RED!  Lol. Looks like he has a safety pin stuck through his ear too!  HE ALSO WON HIS RACE.

Edited by NaplesHoosier
  • Confused 1