Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There is definitely an element of Iowa played extremely physical and Fran and the crowd was on the refs so much, that a good amount did get let go. 

Having said that, I don't think we can put this one on the refs much. Iowa played desperate, we did not. And we made some really head scratching decisions. 

And just didn't catch the ball like 3 times? We eat popcorn at half time? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree. The four losses frustrate me a great deal. I just have seen a few folks say we aren’t a tournament team…. That just seems off to me at this point. 

Does this schedule get you in the tourney at 10 and 10 in conference?  And thats assuming we have the cajones to actually win out at home.  Historically and with sos and with so much parity, surely that would get you in.  At 9-11 its sweating bullets again.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And just didn't catch the ball like 3 times? We eat popcorn at half time? 

Didn't catch the ball, threw it straight to Iowa... it was just a bad effort with some bad tactical decisions. 

I definitely thought there were some questionable officiating moments in the second half, but for the most part you can chalk it up to the refs rewarding the most aggressive team and I don't really have a problem with that. We played timid and soft IMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There is definitely an element of Iowa played extremely physical and Fran and the crowd was on the refs so much, that a good amount did get let go. 

Having said that, I don't think we can put this one on the refs much. Iowa played desperate, we did not. And we made some really head scratching decisions. 

I thought the game was fairly well officiated. If we get that type officiating the rest of the season, I won't complain. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont agree with that. 

I haven't been frustrated, really at all. Maybe the UW game. 

We don't play well for longer periods of time because we aren't talented enough. We play a lot of dudes that are what we have right now, but moving forward we can replace them with a more talented player. 

So, yeah, I don't think we're overly good. I think we are solid, I think we are well coached, offensively we just don't have the horses yet for me to say we're really good. 

Agree completely. Before someone comes running with the high school rankings of our players, it's not about that. They're in college now, that doesn't matter. 

It's about the different skill sets that we have and how they piece together. 

We're still lacking a lot in guard/wing play. 

• Like 5

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Does this schedule get you in the tourney at 10 and 10 in conference?  And thats assuming we have the cajones to actually win out at home.  Historically and with sos and with so much parity, surely that would get you in.  At 9-11 its sweating bullets again.  

I would be pretty surprised if we actually go winless on the road, but yes I think 10-10 gets us in. We have four very winnable road games left, even if we just split those and then drop 1 at home that gets us to 11-9. Unless our advanced metrics really drop off, we should solidly be in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I thought the game was fairly well officiated. If we get that type officiating the rest of the season, I won't complain. 

Same. I didn't understand why Fran was upset earlier in the game and I thought the refs generally rewarded the more aggressive team all night. What I don't like is when refs start bailing a team out or just looking to call fouls to even things out, and that didn't happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Same. I didn't understand why Fran was upset earlier in the game and I thought the refs generally rewarded the more aggressive team all night. What I don't like is when refs start bailing a team out or just looking to call fouls to even things out, and that didn't happen.

They missed an egregious call late in the half when they assumed an Iowa guy got hit, and he didn't. But yeah, they were fine. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree completely. Before someone comes running with the high school rankings of our players, it's not about that. They're in college now, that doesn't matter. 

It's about the different skill sets that we have and how they piece together. 

We're still lacking a lot in guard/wing play. 

Massively lacking it. I do think Parker is just getting going, I feel like we've seen more out of his game the last three then we did early. 

Sitting out out 17-18 months from basketball is a long, long time. 

• Like 4

Aftermath… took the day off work, which is a good thing, but even though my personal Francon downgraded overnight, my final thought on this game is that we actually avoided a 24th turnover. There was an obvious over and back on TG that was missed. Also would have taken a made 3 off the board. So, the collapse was even a little worse. Has to be a mental block for these guys. Totally in their heads. On to the next one, I guess. 

PS. Hope the substitution pattern will get better. Doing the same thing over and over is madness when it doesn’t work. A familiar feeling from the recent past?

3 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Aftermath… took the day off work, which is a good thing, but even though my personal Francon downgraded overnight, my final thought on this game is that we actually avoided a 24th turnover. There was an obvious over and back on TG that was missed. Also would have taken a made 3 off the board. So, the collapse was even a little worse. Has to be a mental block for these guys. Totally in their heads. On to the next one, I guess. 

PS. Hope the substitution pattern will get better. Doing the same thing over and over is madness when it doesn’t work. A familiar feeling from the recent past?

That wasn't an over and back, you have to be completely in the front court to be considered over.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rev_AK said:

Not that I'm excusing our egregious number of turnovers, but only TG's foot was over the line; the rest of his body, as well as the ball, were behind the line.  Everything has to be over for over and back; this wasn't even really close.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

You don't know the rule then. 

• Like 3

The 5 man substitution in the 1st half when we were up by 10 completely killed us.  We went into the half by 7 but the momentum was swinging.  They came out swinging, we came exactly the same as we always do.  

Also they had no answer for TJD and we didn't feed him enough in the second half.  We did to many of those stupid drive to the lane and try the wrap around pass that ended up in turnovers. 

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The 5 man substitution in the 1st half when we were up by 10 completely killed us.  We went into the half by 7 but the momentum was swinging.  They came out swinging, we came exactly the same as we always do.  

Also they had no answer for TJD and we didn't feed him enough in the second half.  We did to many of those stupid drive to the lane and try the wrap around pass that ended up in turnovers. 

I dont disagree we probably need to dump that lineup... theres no reason it needs to play as poorly as it did last night. 

I miss Hulls, a drop dead shooter from outside a great free throw shooter and he took care of the ball. Yogi was very good also, but he to could dribble to much at times. Over all he was great though. 
we haven’t had that since they left! 
That’s what we are missing, I miss watching them. 
I get so tried of these announcers that just keep saying we got to feed it to TJD every time. What we need to do is make plays take care of the ball and  hit shots. That’s what will open things up for TJD. 

• Like 1

And, Rob is not a point guard.  Play him at the 2 but never again make him take charge of the offense.  I don't care if TJD takes the point and runs the offense but Rob mentally cannot handle it.  The reason he has played so well the last 2 games is because he has mostly played the 2 which allows him to look to shoot and drive without the pressure of doing anything else. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And, Rob is not a point guard.  Play him at the 2 but never again make him take charge of the offense.  I don't care if TJD takes the point and runs the offense but Rob mentally cannot handle it.  The reason he has played so well the last 2 games is because he has mostly played the 2 which allows him to look to shoot and drive without the pressure of doing anything else. 

Puzzled as to why we didn't go to the XJ, Phin, Galloway lineup much more in the 2nd half. It's been our best lineup since Galloway got back and would have been best at attacking that 3/4's court press. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Agree, but XJ picks up cheap fouls and Lander can't be trusted, so....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think you’re right, but is XJ a PG? I know he’s supposed to be, but he was horrible last night. He has NO understanding of when to speed up and slow down. He was a big part of that momentum change to start the second half. Very disappointed in his growth (making the same mistakes over and over) and his basketball IQ. We can not win without a decent PG. Can JHS come early?

Unrelated, random comment. We frickin lost the second half by 16 points. Complete lack of mental toughness and intelligence to have that type of half against a team we are better than. Please nobody say we aren’t better than Iowa (just like we aren’t better than Syracuse and PSU). I’ll give you Wiscy at this point given what they’ve done, even though we crapped that game away too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

It was good seeing some of you in this thread, though. Hadn't heard from you guys in a while!

I think i can address this a bit. I mostly only come here for post game threads, and probably more often after losses because you peeps can relate to the frustrations. I would complain to my wife, but she went to Maryland, so she doesn’t care. 

• Like 1