Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

There were 3 tough calls that went against us around 8 mins to go that helped our guys fold.  I'd have to watch the replays to see how bad, i do remember them calling a sideline out of bounds on Rob that was clear as day not out on him.  

Agreed but there was some calls in the first half where back to back Durr literally pushed 2 guys  several feet and they were not called.  Overall, that game was called in our favor in the first half and mostly even or slightly toward us in the second half.  I would take that officiating at a home game every night

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That was my count exactly, four winnable road games left: Nebraska, Maryland, NW, and Minnesota.  All four of those probably offer a higher chance of winning going into them than the Wisconsin and Iowa games did.  It is just so frustrating that we let those two get away along with what really should have been win at Penn St.  

@KoB2011  i see no reason to expect to win 2 of those four.  I do think y'all are right though.  Somehow, somewhere, we will figure out how to win on the road.  Probably somewhere unreasonable like Michigan State.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I'm not sure Lander could make up offensively what he would've given up defensively last night.

Agreed on the defensive side. Even on offense, Lander's has a 40% TO rate this year, which has been the worst on the team. So on a night when we were struggling with turnovers as a team, I don't think he would have been the answer

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dear lord I hope this kid knows what he's getting into

Why would you say that? That's the kind of player Coach Woodson and Co. want for the future of IU ....a skilled, strong defender with a high bb IQ and scoring threat. We are seeing signs of Woodson's stamp on this team or what he is looking for and expecting. This roster needs more skilled guards or impact players like him to take over games. IMHO, next year's incoming class is going to be special.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

There is definitely an element of Iowa played extremely physical and Fran and the crowd was on the refs so much, that a good amount did get let go. 

Having said that, I don't think we can put this one on the refs much. Iowa played desperate, we did not. And we made some really head scratching decisions. 

Yeah, my statement wasn't an indictment of the refereeing at all, just a notation of how they were going to let the kids play...Although I did think Toussaint's take down of XJ was a foul...And I think that play affected the way XJ played the rest of the way...

I never thought of Iowa as a "tough" team, but they were last night...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Why would you say that? That's the kind of player Coach Woodson and Co. want for the future of IU ....a skilled, strong defender with a high bb IQ and scoring threat. We are seeing signs of Woodson's stamp on this team or what he is looking for and expecting. This roster needs more skilled guards or impact players like him to take over games. IMHO, next year's incoming class is going to be special.

Only speaking about what the expectation level will be for him. It will be astronomical. 

Not like "omg whyd he chose us, we suck". That's not how I meant to say that. 

Check the post I was quoting. 

Edited by btownqb

No doubt Rob did not have a great game last night and struggled offensively, but he has been playing better offensively in the previous games. I still think he is overcoming the combination of Archie and injuries. He looked much better pre concussion his freshman year on the offensive side of things.

Also, like others have mentioned, his defensive effort is exceptional.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Only speaking about what the expectation level will be for him. It will be astronomical. 

100%. Last two highly recruited guards KL and bates. KL doesnt play and Bates is looking more and more like he shouldnt be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

💯 that call is so much easier to ref these days.  
never showed a good replay of 3 pointer foul or goal tending 

Those were both questionable for sure, so was Parker having it poked out from behind then him getting whistled for a foul. 

But I think the two fouls on Parker in there get called more times than not, even if they may have been bad calls. Goaltend was 50/50 IMO. 

The one I didn’t like was McCaffrey stripped Race then falling out of bounds and it was a foul on Race. 

11 hours ago, Cbp4IU said:

Xavier Johnson can’t start the 2nd half of a game going forward. He kills the momentum. What’s crazy is though is if Xavier Johnson learned how to play his role as ball handler and distributer he would actually be solid. He doesn’t have to make the big play every time. The problem is he thinks he’s something he’s not and plays way too fast. If he just slowed down a tick it would do wonders. 

This iis the smartest thing i have read today! Slow the h_ _ down!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I dont agree with that. 

I haven't been frustrated, really at all. Maybe the UW game. 

We don't play well for longer periods of time because we aren't talented enough. We play a lot of dudes that are what we have right now, but moving forward we can replace them with a more talented player. 

So, yeah, I don't think we're overly good. I think we are solid, I think we are well coached, offensively we just don't have the horses yet for me to say we're really good. 

I didn't say we are really good, I said we had the potential to be really good.  We had Wisconsin down 20 at their place.  When we are on, we are good.  The horses we have on the team have the ability, they just do not have the focus.

It is like I said, our ceiling is about as high as any team in that 15 to 20ish range in the country.  However, we have a lower floor because of all the things that have been mentioned.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I didn't say we are really good, I said we had the potential to be really good.  We had Wisconsin down 20 at their place.  When we are on, we are good.  The horses we have on the team have the ability, they just do not have the focus.

It is like I said, our ceiling is about as high as any team in that 15 to 20ish range in the country.  However, we have a lower floor because of all the things that have been mentioned.

I don't agree with that! JMO though! 

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I know, I assumed as much, besides you know this as well as anyone,….It’s just, THAT kind of player works/plays in a different gear than most others. You get more players like him, same motor, drive, mindset and expectations then this team becomes a “dangerous machine”.
I’m not sure many fans on here are truly giving Woodson and Co. a chance. I mean, do they really know how valuable each one of his assistants are and their successful impact to the college game? I’m just as frustrated with road losses AND the continued turnovers as anyone, but this is NOT the same kind of IU team we’ve been used the past 15 years…. The difference with this team is,….it finally has coaches (specifically, Woodson & Fife) who ate, slept and breathed INDIANA BASKETBALL. Most importantly, they both played crucial parts in helping establish the “Dangerous Machine”, INDIANA BASKETBALL! 

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I know, I assumed as much, besides you know this as well as anyone,….It’s just, THAT kind of player works/plays in a different gear than most others. You get more players like him, same motor, drive, mindset and expectations then this team becomes a “dangerous machine”.
I’m not sure many fans on here are truly giving Woodson and Co. a chance. I mean, do they really know how valuable each one of his assistants are and their successful impact to the college game? I’m just as frustrated with road losses AND the continued turnovers as anyone, but this is NOT the same kind of IU team we’ve been used the past 15 years…. The difference with this team is,….it finally has coaches (specifically, Woodson & Fife) who ate, slept and breathed INDIANA BASKETBALL. Most importantly, they both played crucial parts in helping establish the “Dangerous Machine”, INDIANA BASKETBALL! 

Not to mention, whatever frustrations we have this is easily our best team in the past 6 seasons (and probably second best team since 2013)... and that's in year 1 for Woody and his staff. Rome wasn't built in a day, but my goodness there's a lot to be excited about for the future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Where did you fall on the Francon Meter?

Probably a 3 or a 2! Definitely jumped out of my seat and screamed at the top of my lungs at the ref. 

I have a tall, long athletic kid (plays football and lacrosse, his bothers are D1 lacrosse players) and the refs have allowed smaller kids to abuse him all season. It's honestly been unfair to the kid. 

So, I kind of let my season long frustration out on this one ref 🤣

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't agree with that! JMO though! 

That's fine.  Room to disagree.  And "good" is a nebulous concept anyway.

I think this team when playing at their full potential could be a Sweet 16 type of team depending on matchups.  I don't think we are likely to be that because of just some of the boneheaded lapses we have in most games.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Probably a 3 or a 2! Definitely jumped out of my seat and screamed at the top of my lungs at the ref. 

I have a tall, long athletic kid (plays football and lacrosse, his bothers are D1 lacrosse players) and the refs have allowed smaller kids to abuse him all season. It's honestly been unfair to the kid. 

So, I kind of let my season long frustration out on this one ref 🤣

You coach Zach Edey?😳🧐😂

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not to mention, whatever frustrations we have this is easily our best team in the past 6 seasons (and probably second best team since 2013)... and that's in year 1 for Woody and his staff. Rome wasn't built in a day, but my goodness there's a lot to be excited about for the future.

THAT'S EXACTLY what I'm trying to say!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth. Some, if not many posters on here were too young and really don't know or have even watched/witnessed TRUE and AUTHENTIC BEAUTY of INDIANA BASKETBALL ! This is the best way I can put it. I think with Coach Woodson at the helm, we are going to see some of that soon, but it's not gonna happen over night.