Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

actions on the court speak louder than words.  You can yell and try to coach from the sideline, but the kid had similar issues at Pitt.  

I'm confused. I agree with all that. I think everyone does. He's just hands down our best option, we know that by watching the game and reflecting on the stats. And no, not just the box score. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

actions on the court speak louder than words.  You can yell and try to coach from the sideline, but the kid had similar issues at Pitt.  

But we also are only going to go as far as he takes us. What exactly do you propose? The guy who may be our most key player (because we know what we're getting out of TJD) isn't consistent. There's not much a coach can do about that at this point. 

• Like 1

Halftime scuffle 

CMW is talking with ref…seems reasonable 

Mccaffrey walks over….seems odd 

everyone reacts like McCaffrey said something…..”you made my daddy mad”???

“Nice suit coach”

We need an open mic 🎤!!!

maybe he went Full Fauci and called someone a moron 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

But we also are only going to go as far as he takes us. What exactly do you propose? The guy who may be our most key player (because we know what we're getting out of TJD) isn't consistent. There's not much a coach can do about that at this point. 

Sign a 5 star PG!!! Oh wait, he's already done that in the 2022 class. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm confused. I agree with all that. I think everyone does. He's just hands down our best option, we know that by watching the game and reflecting on the stats. And no, not just the box score. 

Sometimes our hands are just tied and we have to “run what we brung”!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

CMW does see that. We all see that. 

Exactly! This staff (as any good staff should) is trying to win now as opposed to using this season to only develop guys for the future. X give us the best chance to win period.  There is no one on our bench that could have come in and got us over the hump in any of the games we've lost. If Woodson would have pulled a CBK and conceded the game by rolling out "4 freshman plus Uwe" to send a message, this board would have probably crashed from the backlash. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

CMW subbed XJ out multiple times last night... and the play on the court was actually worse when he wasn't in, even though he wasn't good. 

This! XJ is certainly inconsistent and has his issues, but even when he's not playing well, the product on the court diminishes considerably when he's on the bench. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This! XJ is certainly inconsistent and has his issues, but even when he's not playing well, the product on the court diminishes considerably when he's on the bench. 

When he's on the court, the "roles" for the other players are much more in line with their capabilities. 

Kopp stand in a corner, Parker the same, but has started to take advantage of poor close outs by other players. 

Trayce and Race can offensive rebound more. You have to have someone that can consistently get in the lane. He's the only dude, other than Galloway we have that can do that. 

His decision making can absolutely improve, but still, dribble penetration is king. 

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Does this schedule get you in the tourney at 10 and 10 in conference?  And thats assuming we have the cajones to actually win out at home.  Historically and with sos and with so much parity, surely that would get you in.  At 9-11 its sweating bullets again.  

I don't see us winning on the road or going undefeated at home. Purdue, Michigan State and Illinois will more than likely be losses. I believe we are NIT bound if we go anywhere. 

• Haha 1

We have 1, 2 and threes that do some things well but not consistently well. Rob defends, Stewart hits 3’s sometimes, X sometimes runs the offense in a controlled manner, etc.

We have “guys” at the 1/2/3 but one of our biggest weaknesses is that we do not have a single consistent, all-around (3 level shooter that can get his own shot and defend) “go-to” player at the 1,2 or 3 positions.  Ideally we would have that type of player in 2 of those positions but we don’t have one. I’m not saying we don’t have the talent to beat PSU etc on the road but our ceiling is not as high as we would like due to lack of dependable “go-to” guys.

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That was my count exactly, four winnable road games left: Nebraska, Maryland, NW, and Minnesota.  All four of those probably offer a higher chance of winning going into them than the Wisconsin and Iowa games did.  It is just so frustrating that we let those two get away along with what really should have been win at Penn St.  

No offense, but I think you’re nuts to think we can win at MD, NW, or Minny. Nebraska might be the last shot IMO, and that’s a stretch. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

We have 1, 2 and threes that do some things well but not consistently well. Rob defends, Stewart hits 3’s sometimes, X sometimes runs the offense in a controlled manner, etc.

We have “guys” at the 1/2/3 but one of our biggest weaknesses is that we do not have a single consistent, all-around (3 level shooter that can get his own shot and defend) “go-to” player at the 1,2 or 3 positions.  Ideally we would have that type of player in 2 of those positions but we don’t have one. I’m not saying we don’t have the talent to beat PSU etc on the road but our ceiling is not as high as we would like due to lack of dependable “go-to” guys.

Great post! We are still really lacking at the wings and guard spots. 

I know I've said forget about their high school ranking, but at our guard and wing spots (of our main rotation guys in XJ, Phin, Stewart, Kopp and Galloway) Kopp was the highest ranked recruit at 115 in his class (using 24/7 for this). 

XJ and Stewart were both in the 200's, Galloway was outside the top 150 and Phinisee was in the 130's. 

They all have some good college experience and accomplishments, but in a sport where those positions are very important, this isn't top-end Power 5 group in terms of talent. 

Doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't win more games, make the tourney, etc., just that this is a work in progress at the moment. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Missed the game last night, but have it recorded on Sling. I think I’m going to pass on watching this one it sounds like. 

Fran is an awful person (and it seems like the apples may not have fallen far from the tree), but the second half is worth watching as clinic on exploiting every one of our weaknesses.

Fran gave the blue print on exploiting us with: timely pressing, jumping passing lanes, picking pockets when we beat them on a drive. 

Honestly it was amazing how they played little, but highly effective defense. If we do not learn from this game, every team will use the same process.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Fran is an awful person (and it seems like the apples may not have fallen far from the tree), but the second half is worth watching as clinic on exploiting every one of our weaknesses.

Fran gave the blue print on exploiting us with: timely pressing, jumping passing lanes, picking pockets when we beat them on a drive. 

Honestly it was amazing how they played little, but highly effective defense. If we do not learn from this game, every team will use the same process.

Is Fran an awful person because he has a temper when he coaches, or is there something I am missing? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great post! We are still really lacking at the wings and guard spots. 

I know I've said forget about their high school ranking, but at our guard and wing spots (of our main rotation guys in XJ, Phin, Stewart, Kopp and Galloway) Kopp was the highest ranked recruit at 115 in his class (using 24/7 for this). 

XJ and Stewart were both in the 200's, Galloway was outside the top 150 and Phinisee was in the 130's. 

They all have some good college experience and accomplishments, but in a sport where those positions are very important, this isn't top-end Power 5 group in terms of talent. 

Doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't win more games, make the tourney, etc., just that this is a work in progress at the moment. 

I agree we need a guy like that, but probably the 2 most prominent "go to" guys in the Big 10, Keegan Murray and Johnny Davis, were both 150+ on 247 (Murray was actually 300+)...

So an honest question here...why does it seem that so many other teams in the Big 10 develop players like this? Trevion Williams was 150+...D'Mitrik Trice was 300+ in the rankings...

Is it a question of development? Judging talent?

I think Coach Woody is behind the 8 ball on a lot of our current roster, because they're pretty much developed for the most part...

But are we seeing good development on some of our younger kids?

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree we need a guy like that, but probably the 2 most prominent "go to" guys in the Big 10, Keegan Murray and Johnny Davis, were both 150+ on 247 (Murray was actually 300+)...

So an honest question here...why does it seem that so many other teams in the Big 10 develop players like this? Trevion Williams was 150+...D'Mitrik Trice was 300+ in the rankings...

Is it a question of development? Judging talent?

I think Coach Woody is behind the 8 ball on a lot of our current roster, because they're pretty much developed for the most part...

But are we seeing good development on some of our younger kids?

It's hard to say, but I think we've seen good development on Galloway and Leal, probably Geronimo too. I like what I see out of Duncomb in the little I see him. Time will be the judge on that one though.