Nebraska II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Monday, January 17th 6 PM EST

Where: Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, Nebraska

TV: BTN

Nebraska Record: 6-12 (0-7, 14th in Big Ten). The Huskers come in having lost 5 in a row, and 10 of 11.

image.png.eda405ef2e8745b95c053353826506e9.png

Same cast of characters as they had when IU beat them in SSAH, but they are getting Trey McGowans (Bryce's brother) back after being out with a foot injury...Last year Trey averaged 11 ppg and 4 boards per...

Nebraska has some kids that can shoot it...Wilcher, Tominaga, and Webster are all over 36% from 3 for the year...Derrick Walker has been playing better in the post, and freshman Eduardo Andre has been coming on as a shot blocker...

Bryce McGowans is a 5 star recruit and has been the Big 10 freshman of the week a few times. He's their leading scorer...Alonzo Verge is their PG, and he's much better on the drive than he is shooting from outside...Both he and Bryce McGowans are at 25% from 3 for the year...

Nebraska is far more dangerous at home than they are on the road...gave both Ohio State and Illinois a run for their money when they visited Lincoln...

Very winnable game, but it'll be interesting to see how we come out and handle it...Having Trey McGowans back will give them some energy, but they always seem to lose focus and fade. They start putting up wild shots trying to make up the deficit quickly...

Good time for our first road victory of the year, although as I pointed out in the Big 10 thread, we haven't had much luck on the road with brother combos this year (Syracuse-Boeheims, Wisconsin-Davises, Iowa-Murrays)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This feels like the perfect time in the schedule to play this game. We need to “break the ice” on the road as Coach has said. After another disappointing road loss, I’m glad we aren’t going back home to take on Penn St, let’s get back on that horse that horse that keeps throwing us and get it done.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, IUFLA said:

When: Monday, January 17th 7 PM EST

Where: Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, Nebraska

TV: BTN

Nebraska Record: 6-12 (0-7, 14th in Big Ten). The Huskers come in having lost 5 in a row, and 10 of 11.

image.png.eda405ef2e8745b95c053353826506e9.png

Same cast of characters as they had when IU beat them in SSAH, but they are getting Trey McGowans (Bryce's brother) back after being out with a foot injury...Last year Trey averaged 11 ppg and 4 boards per...

Nebraska has some kids that can shoot it...Wilcher, Tominaga, and Webster are all over 36% from 3 for the year...Derrick Walker has been playing better in the post, and freshman Eduardo Andre has been coming on as a shot blocker...

Bryce McGowans is a 5 star recruit and has been the Big 10 freshman of the week a few times. He's their leading scorer...Alonzo Verge is their PG, and he's much better on the drive than he is shooting from outside...Both he and Bryce McGowans are at 25% from 3 for the year...

Nebraska is far more dangerous at home than they are on the road...gave both Ohio State and Illinois a run for their money when they visited Lincoln...

Very winnable game, but it'll be interesting to see how we come out and handle it...Having Trey McGowans back will give them some energy, but they always seem to lose focus and fade. They start putting up wild shots trying to make up the deficit quickly...

Good time for our first road victory of the year, although as I pointed out in the Big 10 thread, we haven't had much luck on the road with brother combos this year (Syracuse-Boeheims, Wisconsin-Davises, Iowa-Murrays)

I am pretty sure that tip is at 6 rather than 7.

• Haha 1

Just now, rico said:

Why is that?

Injury for one. For two, you aren't getting ANYONE ready if someone gets in foul trouble, which XJ and Parker usually are. 

And most important.. how are you going to recruit like that? Hey come to Indiana, you won't see the floor until you are a Jr, but yeah great spot to come play basketball. 

The subbing pattern has not been a deciding factor in any game this season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Injury for one. For two, you aren't getting ANYONE ready if someone gets in foul trouble, which XJ and Parker usually are. 

And most important.. how are you going to recruit like that? Hey come to Indiana, you won't see the floor until you are a Jr, but yeah great spot to come play basketball. 

The subbing pattern has not been a deciding factor in any game this season. 

I am not complaining that we play 8-10 down the bench.  I would just rather not do the line changes style and more of a replace 1 or 2 at a time as needed available.  Otherwise i want to see some of our younger guys get minutes.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not complaining that we play 8-10 down the bench.  I would just rather not do the line changes style and more of a replace 1 or 2 at a time as needed available.  Otherwise i want to see some of our younger guys get minutes.

It's been about 50/50 until Thursday, in comparing their NET gain vs loss. 

I didnt necessarily mean you, in this discussion. It just seems like it's a constant complaint from Crean to Miller to Woodson. 

It's always confused me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

It's been about 50/50 until Thursday, in comparing their NET gain vs loss. 

I didnt necessarily mean you, in this discussion. It just seems like it's a constant complaint from Crean to Miller to Woodson. 

It's always confused me.  

I feel like its hold or slightly loses ground but never gains ground, especially when we seem to have momentum 

55 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I feel like its hold or slightly loses ground but never gains ground, especially when we seem to have momentum 

Plus you get to rest your guys. You have to factor that in. More dudes need to separate themselves. 

But either way, I'm talking about the importance of "lineups" or whatever. 

We've seen really good mins out of everyone from the bench, at different times and Iowa is hands down the worst performance they had. 

There were still hundreds of ways we could have won that game. I just don't see it as a talking point or a constant complain. Doesn't add up. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

So, what I'm trying to say, maybe... is when the bench struggled Thursday/or anyone struggles, basically.... 

I'm not questioning whether they should be on the court/questioning why someone isn't on the court...

I'm upset with that individual player playing poorly/not executing the things we are trying to do. 🤷‍♂️... thats how I view that stuff. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So, what I'm trying to say, maybe... is when the bench struggled Thursday/or anyone struggles, basically.... 

I'm not questioning whether they should be on the court/questioning why someone isn't on the court...

I'm upset with that individual player playing poorly/not executing the things we are trying to do. 🤷‍♂️... thats how I view that stuff. 

Oh i am upset about individual players play also.  But over the course of the season so far.  I feel like the line change subs has been detrimental to our play.  There is a reason no college team does this and even Kentucky with 10 5* players on their bench couldn't sustain it.  There is just to much of a talent drop off when you take out all 5 of your starters and put in your second string.  I don't mind subbing out players to get them rests.  I just don't want to see our whole starting 5 come out.  I would rather rest them in smaller waves and as the situation dictates. 

But that's just my opinion, obviously its not yours and that ok. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Oh i am upset about individual players play also.  But over the course of the season so far.  I feel like the line change subs has been detrimental to our play.  There is a reason no college team does this and even Kentucky with 10 5* players on their bench couldn't sustain it.  There is just to much of a talent drop off when you take out all 5 of your starters and put in your second string.  I don't mind subbing out players to get them rests.  I just don't want to see our whole starting 5 come out.  I would rather rest them in smaller waves and as the situation dictates. 

But that's just my opinion, obviously its not yours and that ok. 

He called a TO pretty quick the other night because that 10-0 run was QUICK lol 

They did it in waves the other night and then they didn't perform. Those 5 guys are perfectly capable of playing coherent basketball, but Bates might be the odd man out though. 

But yeah, I mean, I don't want to see 5 subs again, I just dont see it as a big deal though. I think it's more difficult to pick and choose when people go in, rather than having a plan on when to sub. Plus, the subs, ideally would be much more comfortable playing together because that's what they do in practice. 

It wasn't good the other night. I like the idea of playing 9-10 guys a night, though. I think we have 8 guys that average more than 10 mins a game in conference play, and JG avgs 9mph. 

More guys are engaged in practice because they know their number will be called on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

What is it with some of you and substitutions? This discussion raged on during Miller and Crean, as well.  

Someone said the rotation should be 7 or 8 guys, at one point? That's not sustainable, at all.

Worked all the time under RMK Alford averaged over 37 minutes a game and was moving the whole game.  There is no reason today's kids can't play big minutes since they are better athletes than the past.

Edited by IU Scott

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Worked all the time under RMK Alford averaged over 37 minutes a game and was moving the whole game.  There is no reason today's kids can't play big minutes since they are better athletes than the past.

TJD is avg 34. What RMK did in 1987 is not overly relevant for basketball now. 

We don't have any kids, as of now, that need to average "big minutes", other than the two that do now. Unless, XJ stays out of foul trouble.. he will average more then. We just don't have the personnel make up to just play 7 guys. Idk how that could work for our team. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1992-04-04-duke.html

Here's our box score against Duke in 1992. Looks very similar to what we ultimately want to get to. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

TJD is avg 34. What RMK did in 1987 is not overly relevant for basketball now. 

We don't have any kids, as of now, that need to average "big minutes", other than the two that do now Unless, XJ stays out of foul trouble.. he will average more then. We just don't have the personnel make up to just play 7 guys. Idk how that could work for our team. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1992-04-04-duke.html

Here's our box score against Duke in 1992. Looks very similar to what we ultimately want to get to. 

I just don't think we need to have 5 subs in at one time.  If you have a 8 man rotation doesn't mean they would play anymore minutes.  You would just stagger the lineups like I posted the other day.

4-5 position TJD,Race and Geronimo

2-3 position Kopp, Stewart, Galloway

1 position Johnson and RP.