Nebraska II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

TJD is avg 34. What RMK did in 1987 is not overly relevant for basketball now. 

We don't have any kids, as of now, that need to average "big minutes", other than the two that do now Unless, XJ stays out of foul trouble.. he will average more then. We just don't have the personnel make up to just play 7 guys. Idk how that could work for our team. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1992-04-04-duke.html

Here's our box score against Duke in 1992. Looks very similar to what we ultimately want to get to. 

You do realize that was due to foul trouble with IU having 4 guys foul out against Duke

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't think we need to have 5 subs in at one time.  If you have a 8 man rotation doesn't mean they would play anymore minutes.  You would just stagger the lineups like I posted the other day.

4-5 position TJD,Race and Geronimo

2-3 position Kopp, Stewart, Galloway

1 position Johnson and RP.

Durr has to play. There is no chance we can survive, regularly without his 5-7mins a game. 

Eventually we are going to have some games where TJd and RT are in foul trouble, so Durr has to play. 

Take out JG and play Kopp at the 4, some. You might be able to do that. But why? 

Just play the 9-10 you've been rolling with. 

And yeah, against Iowa those 5 did not perform well. We have seen times where it is has, we absolutely have. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You do realize that was due to foul trouble with IU having 4 guys foul out against Duke

Actually that's not true. That team didn't have a player average over 30mpg. 

They played 8 guys every game and in the majority of them, they played 10 guys. The E8 game vs UCLA the mins looked the same as this one. No one played big mins. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1992-03-28-indiana.html

Things will tighten up some, naturally, as the season progresses. But, my whole point here is.. I dont understand why it's SUCH a talking point? 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, btownqb said:

Actually that's not true. That team didn't have a player average over 30mpg. 

They played 8 guys every game and in the majority of them, they played 10 guys. The E8 game vs UCLA the mins looked the same as this one. 

Things will tighten up some, naturally, as the season progresses. But, my whole point here is.. I dont understand why it's SUCH a talking point? 

The 91-92 only had 10 scholarship players available since P. Graham and Brian Evans redshirted. Leary and Lindeman very rarely got off the bench unless of foul trouble or a blowout. So in the tournament they played Anderson, Meeks and H. Graham in tbe rotation.  The last couple of years being in quarantine so much I have watched a lot of games from that year.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The 91-92 only had 10 scholarship players available since P. Graham and Brian Evans redshirted. Leary and Lindeman very rarely got off the bench unless of foul trouble or a blowout. So in the tournament they played Anderson, Meeks and H. Graham in tbe rotation.  The last couple of years being in quarantine so much I have watched a lot of games from that year.

Leary and Lindeman played in over 2/3 of the games and played more mpg then Durr does. 

And foul trouble is the exact reason he's gotta play, some. I don't think anyone wants him for long spurts, but the 3-4 min he plays per half are absolutely necessary and valuable. 

Edited by btownqb

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it is fascinating to watch 2 guys i never agree with argue.  i'm curious to see who falls asleep first.  otherwise this one is going the distance!

Then you haven't been in the same room as Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless.  Those two would argue over paint drying.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Man that team recruited talent.  7 IU guys played at least 20 minutes in that game. 4/7 were McDonalds All-Americans, another guy was a Parade All American plus Cheaney.  

Here’s an interesting fact I recently heard. MI currently has three freshmen MCD AAs, their first MAAs since 2002, meaning Belen never had one, 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

Big game. Lose this one and you lose a lot of fan support. Interested to see if anything changes with starters and rotations.

I would hope that fan support, in the first year of a coaching tenure, is not based on any one game. If that is the case, I think that’s more an indictment of the fans than the program 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Ahhh, the great but not often mentioned Horace Graham.  How could we forget?  :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

TJD is avg 34. What RMK did in 1987 is not overly relevant for basketball now. 

We don't have any kids, as of now, that need to average "big minutes", other than the two that do now. Unless, XJ stays out of foul trouble.. he will average more then. We just don't have the personnel make up to just play 7 guys. Idk how that could work for our team. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1992-04-04-duke.html

Here's our box score against Duke in 1992. Looks very similar to what we ultimately want to get to. 

I was at that game, and that is when/where my wholly unhealthy hatred of Ted Valentine was born.  Walking out of the arena that night, the UC fans were commenting how badly we had been screwed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would hope that fan support, in the first year of a coaching tenure, is not based on any one game. If that is the case, I think that’s more an indictment of the fans than the program 

I think we should start giving IU men’s basketball coaches 10 day contracts similar to what the NBA offers to marginal players. That would give us the opportunity to evaluate 12-15 coaches per year. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

He called a TO pretty quick the other night because that 10-0 run was QUICK lol 

They did it in waves the other night and then they didn't perform. Those 5 guys are perfectly capable of playing coherent basketball, but Bates might be the odd man out though. 

But yeah, I mean, I don't want to see 5 subs again, I just dont see it as a big deal though. I think it's more difficult to pick and choose when people go in, rather than having a plan on when to sub. Plus, the subs, ideally would be much more comfortable playing together because that's what they do in practice. 

It wasn't good the other night. I like the idea of playing 9-10 guys a night, though. I think we have 8 guys that average more than 10 mins a game in conference play, and JG avgs 9mph. 

More guys are engaged in practice because they know their number will be called on. 

i do get what you're saying but 300 other college level teams figure out how to sub their starters out and when to do it.  I am sure we'll figure it out and while i agree the 5 man second team can play, they don't move the needle forward.  We don't extent leads with them.  We hold server or lose slightly.  If we subbed 1 or 2 at a time, we might be able to maintain the forward momentum

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2